Author Topic: Double D: About Zane Palmer  (Read 2663 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Double D: About Zane Palmer
« on: October 09, 2006, 03:28:43 PM »
   Double D, a while back you said you were going to check out why the Palmer's Armoury web-site was coming up site not found when it was opened. His shop is in South Africa, it might not be far from you. He certainly did some fine work. I used to enjoy looking at his site every now and then, to see what new pieces he was making.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
Re: Double D: About Zane Palmer
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 03:36:43 PM »
Hey Boomer, If you don't mind sharing the web site..

Ed

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 04:59:49 PM »
I don't think he has a website anymore. He is in Port Elizabeth about 770km (480 miles) from here.

While looking for him I found this very intersting links  http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/links-models.htm

Any one intersted in his guns should contact John at Pretty Ancient Antiques

John has several Boer war era models by Palmer that are exquisite.  He als has a Lyle gun and other cannons.

Henk you looking to buy a Cannon you should contact John, he has what you need

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 07:04:41 AM »
   El C., there's nothing to share anymore. The site (Palmer's Armoury) has been down for quite a while now. It seems that you, like me, have a thing for artillery in miniature. This guy (Zane Palmer) out of South Africa, makes some of the finest I've ever seen. I wish I had saved some pics to my photo file but I figured his site was on the net so I didn't bother. His father ran a machine shop so he grew up learning that trade and he had a love of cannon since he was a kid, so he naturally put the two together. He cast and/or machines all his barrels and builds the carriages to scale from authenticated specs. All the hardware he makes for the carriages and mortar beds are fashioned using the lost wax method of casting. He uses a jewelers vacuum casting machine to get the intricate details he attains on these parts. All the muzzle loading model's barrels are made from bronze, the breech loaders from a later South Arfrican history are machined from steel. He stated on the former site that most of the muzzle loaders were fireable models. I have a list that I made of the guns that he had for sale, just in case there happened to arise an incredible outside chance of me having a couple grand in my pocket that wasn't already earmarked for more "practical" uses: USS Constitution 24 Pdr Gun, French 6 Inch Howitzer circa 1793, 12 Pdr French Field Gun circa 1793, British Carronade 1779-1855, French 13'' Mortar (18th Century), British 42 Pdr ? Sea-Coast defense Gun on an Iron Skeleton Carriage (19th Century), British Bronze 7 Pounder Rifled Muzzle Loader used during the Anglo-Zulu Wars (19th Century), "Long Cecil" Breech Loader used by the British in the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1900 and the "Long Tom" Breech Loader used by the Boers in the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. You'd have to see these replicas to appreciate their incredible details.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 07:47:56 AM »
If I get  a chance this week I will drop into John's and take some pictures of the guns.  Palmers guns are awesome.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 10:34:57 AM »
Boom,

That's sad to hear about palmer's web site... I sure loved to see or have the oppurtunity invest in one of his guns... Double D 480 miles seem like long haul... Hope to see some photo's in the near future..

Ed

Offline Double D

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 05:40:04 PM »
The antique shop that has some of his guns  is about 4 blocks form my office...maybe I can sneak out when the boss won't see me...wait, I am the boss.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 06:02:54 PM »
as they say its good to be the KING...Cool!! looking forward to seeing the Pictures...See what the price on those babies... ;D

Ed

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 10:13:40 AM »
   El C., this is a pic of Palmer's British carronade 1779-1855. The barrel's in bronze, it's 8 3/4'' long and has a 7/8'' bore. It's not a very good photo but it's all I could find.

John

Offline Kansas Boomer

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 12:24:56 PM »
I saved pictures of two of his cannons, Long Cecil and Long Tom. Both used during the Boer wars. Long Cecil to bombard the Boers, and Long Tom to bombard the British. I still have dreams of building shootable version of one of them.  boomer
Former Naval person, proud to have a Grandson serving in the U. S. Army.
There are no atheists in a landing craft!!!!

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 02:02:22 PM »
I thank you both for posting these photo's. Wow!! their outstanding peices of art...The man is cleary gifted...

Ed

Offline Double D

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 05:49:50 PM »
While you are waitiung on me to post pictures, you could send John say Pretty Ancient Antiques an email and ask him what he has and what he wants.  He will send you pictures.

Offline Double D

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 06:15:14 PM »
There is another Model Maker down here also who makes models: Mike Pilgrim.  His doesn't have the detail  of Palmers, but his metal working skills are outstanding.

Here is a English Naval gun from the HMS Terrible on a expediant made field carriage

Here is a picture of the actual guns. This gun is modeled after the guns in the back ground

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 08:38:22 AM »

Double D, is this model by M. Pilgrim a b-p blank firing salute gun?

Offline Double D

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2006, 05:17:22 PM »
It uses 38 spl blanks. He wants R7000.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2006, 01:56:16 AM »
R7000 SA = $ US ?

Ed

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2006, 03:00:18 AM »
Try this for today's rate of exchange:

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2006, 06:57:40 AM »
Thanks CW, R7000 SA=$929.669 USD

Offline freddo

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2006, 05:27:57 AM »
 Great pictures Douglas.The trouble is I'm a bit ambivalent about them.On the one hand such superb wormanship makes a fellow feel  inadequate and on the other hand it gives one a target to shoot for.I think I would have had to start as a teenager to achieve results such as these however.

Offline oomsarel

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2006, 09:12:52 PM »
His phone no.  041-3673087  port elizabeth    14 nyssen rd.
oomsarel

Offline Double D

They aren't Palmers.
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2006, 07:16:53 AM »
Gentlemen, i am mistaken.  The guns at Pretty Ancient antiques are not Palmers.  They were made by a fellow named Phillip Spencer from Rhodesia. Spencer died earlier this year.

Here are some of his guns.  Sorry no powder can. One does not walk down the street in Durban carring a can of Black powder

Lyle gun in back, a Mike Pilgrim 45 cal. ships gun in front.

Brass ships gun. Muzzle of Lyle gun at lleft.

Mike Pilgrim 45  cal. Field Gun

Offline Double D

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2006, 07:20:16 AM »
His phone no.  041-3673087  port elizabeth    14 nyssen rd.
oomsarel

To call from the US call 011 27 41-367-3087.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2006, 08:24:52 AM »
Nice photos, Spencer was a fine craftsman too. The second photo down, of two field pieces and a naval gun; is that piece on the left a machine gun?
One of the few things I know about South Africa came from the NRA. More than a few years ago they were putting out literature and some videos concerning the Draconian laws South Africa was trying to enact against firearms ownership. Whatever the case, the country seems to have it's fair share of artillery enthusiasts.
I found an e-mail address for "Palmers Armoury" on a South African trade and tourism site. I sent a couple e-mails, it's been over a month and no response.