Author Topic: Hello all, first question  (Read 698 times)

Offline mwm1331

• Trade Count: (0)
Hello all, first question
« on: October 11, 2006, 06:11:21 AM »
This is my first post and predictably it is a noob question.
It relates to firing C&B guuns fitted with a conversion cylinder. I am considering getting one simply because I like the looks, but I am not interested in actually firing C&B loads. If I purchase and have a conversion cylinder installed will I need to purchase speciality bullets or will standard moder bullets work? If I buy a .44 caliber C&B will it fire regular .44 bullets or a smaller caliber?
Please help.  ???

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
Re: Hello all, first question
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 06:38:12 AM »
First, remember that you are buying a black powder pistol meant for black powder loads and pressures.  It would be as foolhardy to run modern jacketed hot loads through the gun as loading the c&b cylinder with smokeless.  The only conversion cylinder I am aware of for 44 c&b pistols is the 45 colt.  Yes you can shoot modern 45 colt shells if it is low pressure ammo.  But 45LC is a low pressure shell by most modern loadings anyway.  Manufacturers intentionally keep the 45 colt pressures low because of the number of old and fragile guns still being used.   You can't expect to shoot 44mag pressures.   

As for the 36 c&b conversions, I understand they shoot 38 S&W shells.  Well the .357 bullets are undersized and it is hard to get any accuracy with them.  or so I've read. 

Some folks may disagree, but I always figure it is better to stay on the safe side.   I have an aversion to pain and hospitals and figure why risk it.   (there is always some one who will say they put 13    50 grain pellets in their flintlock rifle and it didn't blow up...., they are either liars or benefit from the adage that God watches over infants and idiots.)

Hope this answers your questions.     

Offline Flint

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 08:51:26 PM »
The 44 C&B as mentioned is converted to 45Colt, as the bore is 44 but the grooves are 45 cal.  Cowboy level loads such as sold by PMC, Winchester etc labeled as Cowboy loads, or black powder loads are safe.  Reloads listed in the Hogdon's "Cowboy" loading manual are safe.

Do note that these conversions are only recommended for steel frame guns.

The 36 Navy is converted to 38 LC/38Spec, not 38 S&W.  They must either be loaded with heel type bullets of 375 diameter, or hollowbased bullets of 357 diameter.  Solid 357 bullets will not upset to fill the 375 bore.  The 38 Special must use hollow base wadcutters, as the cylinder is too short for long nosed bullets.  The 38 LC case can use longer nosed bullets, but they must either be holllow based 357 or heel type 375.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Sir Charles deMoutonBlack

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 05:30:05 AM »
Was all that very confusing?  It can be made very simple. There are package guns available, I think from TAYLORs.  Combine a conversion cylinder with the C&B revolver.  Usually a Remington repro in .44, the easiest to convert, partnered with a R&D conversion cylinder in .45 Colt.  Same thing can be done with the Ruger OLD ARMY, if you are not wound up about historical 'period correct" issues.

Or you can acquire the pistol and cylinder separately.

To answer your first question, with the kit I mentioned, any .451 to .452 cast bullet will work.  Cast of "wheel weights" or softer.  If you don't cast, there will be outfits selling lead bullets.  Load light, or buy "cowboy" loads.  Want to shoot real Black?  Use a BP compatible lube, like SPG, or Lyman Blackpowder Gold.

Remember, free advice is worth every penny!