Author Topic: wounded deer.  (Read 1027 times)

Offline coopershooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
wounded deer.
« on: October 12, 2006, 07:22:01 AM »
 my son and i were driving through a small wma, and saw a six point buck with a broken back leg. it's a shame, because he was a big otherwise healthy deer. he was going back and forth between the fences on both sides of the road apperently unable to jump over. i backed off and gave him time to get over. it made me sick! i guess he got hit by a car!? we also saw three does and three turkeys. not bad for a twenty minute drive. i dont see that many critters often. but i enjoy it when we do.

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: wounded deer.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 12:11:50 PM »
Several years ago I was out looking at animals near home, there's lot's of them, and I found a fawn with a broken leg like that. Really wanted to put it down but didn't. It probally broke it running around as I was well away from any traveled road, ranch road. Sad to see but mother nature ain't always that kind.
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline Dillohide

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 10:51:04 AM »
Deer hurt themselves a lot jumping fences ... just a fact of life. Usually it's a hind leg that gets caught in the wire. They'll yank trying to get loose until they dislocate their backs, then they are done far. The kindest thing you can do at that point is put them down because they will never walk again. If they're up on three legs they can survive. A three legged deer can move pretty fast and live to a ripe old age.

Offline jpred1

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 02:37:18 PM »
During a small man drive a few years ago,I shot a 3 legged doe.Its front right was gone at the knee,looked like a birth defect or healed up nice.By the way she'd learned to run without it,I never knew it untill after the kill,she was gitting it pretty well.
Still dreaming of that Boone and Crocket Pistol Kill!!!

Offline Ranger J

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 06:14:27 AM »
We had a doe with a bad back leg that we saw regularly for several years.  We called her ‘Old Crip’ and she seemed to get along nicely.  Only thing she usually to only have one fawn each year rather than the more normal two.  A lot of us let her go during season because she seemed like an old friend.  You don’t shoot and eat something you give a name to.  I haven’t seen her lately and am afraid the poachers got her.
RJ

Offline Don Fischer

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 09:15:50 AM »
Lot's of animals get hung up in fences. I've released several here. An Antelope and a calf elk I saw get hung up, both hind legs. Got both loose real quick and both just froze while I worked on it. Another was another calf elk I have no idea how long it had been there. Got it loose and it ran off with no sign of injury. Elk and Antelope are not very good at junping fences. Lots of brokenfences around here where adult Elk missed the jump. Sometimes it looks like they never ever tried to jump, just run right thru it!
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline a45gunslinger

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.zippyvideos.com/8333718701028686/000_0452/
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 04:43:23 PM »
The buck on the left in my avitar was only using three legs when i shot him.. his front leg had healed but it had a large mass around his knee ( i guess) even ater i shot him he ran off on three legs- kevin

Offline Rogue Ram

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 05:52:38 PM »
Don, do you have ELK near where you are???  I recall the area you are in, but didn't know elk were local there. I know there are plenty over on the Bagwhan's former digs.......

RR

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 08:37:13 AM »
Don, do you have ELK near where you are???

High fence??? :'(
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline HuntingGuy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 03:18:16 PM »
We saw a buck last year or the year before out in a private field that looked pretty bad.. He was on 3 legs, the 3 that he were on looked banged up... Probably had a run in with a car.  If it wasn't private, I probably would have tried to dispatch the deer.  Makes them real vulnerable to predators  >:(
HuntingGuy
Hunting in Minnesota Moderator

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 09:35:53 AM »
Several years ago I hepled a doe out of a fence.  She had attempted to jump a fence made of hog wire with two strands of barbed wire on top.  When she jumped one of her back legs got caught between the barbed wire which twisted on her leg.  She was laying on the ground with her leg in the wire when I drove past.  I backed up and took a closer look, then tried to spread the wire so she could get out, but couldn't.  I took my lug wrench and pryed the staples out of the fence post on several post giving the wire a little slack, I then put the lug wrence between the wire and twisted it until her leg came free.  She layed there for what seemed 10 minutes, then stood, walked about 5-6 steps and looked back at me and gave a big snort and walked off.

I don't advise everyone to take this kind of action, I did it because there was a hog wire fence between us, and stayed far enough away to keep out of reach of her hoofs.  They don't knnow you are trying to help them, and will hurt you if you are not carefuyl.