Author Topic: Ball size 1860 Army  (Read 727 times)

Offline Scotsman1886

• Trade Count: (2)
Ball size 1860 Army
« on: October 12, 2006, 10:26:47 AM »
I just purchased a replica C+B revolver which is a Colt army with the shoulder stock and fluted cylinder as my first black powder hand gun. I was told by the dealer, whose knowledge of old guns is far beyond mine, it was a replica of one ordered by Jeb Stuart before he switched sides.
Seems very nice. It shows "Santa Fe Arms" on the BBL which I understand is now Cimmiron. Looks nearly unfired and I look forward to my first shooting session, hopefully monday.
Here is my question,,What size ball? One resource says .451 and another says .454.
Also,,its powder charge, ball and grease over the ball,,rt?

Offline Wynn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Ball size 1860 Army
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 11:30:20 AM »
Cylinder size should be .451. It may vary some. I personally use .457 in my 1860 and 1858. Many others use .454 balls. The idea is to shave a thin, consistant ring of lead from the ball when seating it. This helps seal the cylinder and prevent chain firing. It also can possibly compensate for a out-of-round cylinder which happens with these repros. You have the loading sequence correct. Powder, ball, grease. Load only 5 cylinders and keep the hammer down on the empty if carrying loaded in a holster. Do not load six and cap 5. Chainfires can also happen through a uncapped nipple. Be safe and have fun!
American by birth; Southern by the Grace of God

Offline Scotsman1886

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 11:38:18 AM »
Sorry,Its "Western Arms Corp. Santa Fe NM"

Offline long

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 04:19:07 AM »
an old uberti import. some of the replicas work well with 451 balls. They are a loose fit in others. .454 is probably just about right.  The fluetted armys were the first out and they replaced the cylinders with unfluetted ones pretty early because of blowups.  After secession but before ft sumpter, Ben Mccollough orderd 1,000 {fluetted} for the texas rangers and about 500 made it through the blockades.
The 60 army was almost immediately accepted for US service the sholder stock being one selling point.  at least one reference says robert e lee bought one when he resigned his commission and headed to virginia to lead the confederate army.

Offline Scotsman1886

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 04:38:19 AM »
I'll get some of each,,just to be sure. HAHAHAA.
I just got my computer back on track so I'll try and post some photos. Seems like a nice piece to me

Offline mg66

• Contributor
    • Bow and Gun Hunting Illinois
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 01:09:08 AM »
I use 454" balls in both my 1860 and New Army. I believe that is what Uberti recommend in their user manual also.
mg66 - "every deer you legally take with a bow is a trophy"