Poll

What shoots best out of your USH 12 or 20?

Remington Corelokt
2 (5.4%)
Remington Coppersolid
6 (16.2%)
Lightfield
5 (13.5%)
Hastings
0 (0%)
Hornady SST
5 (13.5%)
Winchester Part Gold
5 (13.5%)
Remington Buckhammer
5 (13.5%)
Federal Barnes Xpander
7 (18.9%)
Other
2 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: USH's favorite slug  (Read 1873 times)

Offline Buckhammer74

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
USH's favorite slug
« on: October 12, 2006, 07:47:03 PM »
I know all barrels are different. Some shoot 1 slug and not another. I am just curious if there is a clear consensus on the most accurate out of USH's.

Offline Critter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: USH's favorite slug
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 02:12:24 AM »
My brothers 12 ga likes the Winchester Hi-Impact sabots(discontinued), or the Winchester Platinum Tips.  Both shoot great groups off the bench.  I personally prefer to use the Winchester Platinums.  Last deer I shot with a shotgun I used them and the deer folded like I hit him with a dump truck. Broke 3 ribs on entry, liquified everything in the chest cavity and broke 2 ribs on exit.  It was a 40+ yard broadside shot and he fell in his tracks.

Offline 3s3k

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 03:27:30 AM »
B74;

A couple of us have 20ga USH that like Lightfield Hybred Exp's out to 75yds 1-3" groups after that we switch to either Remington

Ultra Core-Lokts or Winchester Platinum Tips 75-125yds 2-3" groups.I have not had an opportunity to try the new Hastings Slugs yet

because not available locally,look interesting though.GL

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 12:47:26 AM »
My 12 USH LOVES the Rem Copper solids & Rem ULTRA slugs.

The Copper solids are a bit better and will cloverleaf at 100 yards.

The nice thing with my gun and these loads is they shoot to the same VERTICLE P.O.I. I sight the copper solids to hit right at 100yds dead on. Then the Ultras hit about 2" higher. So what I get is a honest 200 yard shotgun that will hit dead on at + - 175 yards.   
I shot it @ 200yds a couple times and its easily on a softball. I KNOW it will do better but haven't really "wrung" it out at more than 100 yards.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline rlelvis

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 05:03:13 AM »
Well all I can say is that at 100yds mine likes the Fed Barnes EXP.  ;D  I have yet to see one in person that will out shoot it though many say theirs will, either way I AM HAPPY, now if I could only find a longer range...

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 09:38:17 AM »
My 20ga Ultra Slug Hunter likes almost everything except the new Hornady SST, unfortunately. :'( I will try it again in the cooler weather before season to see if it does better. Most anything in a plastic sabot will not do well in the warmer weather, and the sabot on the SST was very soft and need more work IMO. I was really loooking for that SST to do much better. Looks like I may be back to the Win Partition Golds or Rem Ultra CoreLokt.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline navyredneck

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 06:10:53 PM »
I personally like the remington copper solids but at $12 a box I'm about to place an order for some Dixie Slugs which are $7.50 a box.  So far I haven't had a shot at more than 50 yards so I'm not even concerned that much with accuracy.  I just need something cheaper so that I can do more target practice. :)

Offline rlelvis

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 02:34:57 PM »
I also tried the Hornady SST, after 20 rounds (=6 three shot groups @100 and two @50yds) the best I did on two trips was 5in+ @100.  I even had two that definitly appeared to have partailly 'key holed'  not sure though. They did impact higher though, about 3in from center group to center group.  The temp was around 60 and they were are spaced at least 5 min between shots and the bore cleaned between each shot.  On the same trips I was getting good groups with the Fed 2 3/4 Barnes so the shell was the only variable.

You may very well be right on with the 'hardness' of the sabot, there seems to be a difference.

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 03:17:24 PM »
Another vote for the 1 oz Barnes Expanders with the Copper Solids a close second.

Interesting that of the 13 votes cast:
4 are for the copper solids and 2 for the Barnes Expanders which are very similar to the Copper Solids
....almost 50 % of the vote!
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline Buckhammer74

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 07:17:38 PM »
I have an USH 20g, and so far the best group at 100y is Remington Buckhammers at 1 1/2 in. Coppersolids are second at 2 1/2 in.  Rem Corelokts are grouping at around 4 in and Hornady sst hit all over the place.  Hastings, Winchester Golds, and Federal barnes are up at my next trip to the range. 

I am also curious if someone could tell me more about my USH. It is a 20 gauge with camo laminate and has a gold medallion in the stock.  It does not have any checkering and the forearm is longer than the USH 20's I have seen. The forearm is similar in length to the USH 12 gauges.

Thanks to all participating in this poll.

Mike

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 08:25:40 PM »
If it says NEF Limited Edition on the medallion it is just like mine, 20ga Ultra Slug Hunter Limited Edition (LE). They are part of a special order that a buyer group of several stores purchase in a large quanity that they get a good deal on. The place I buy my H&R/NEF's belongs to this buyers group and get guns you can't get by ordering just anywhere. The Partition Golds shoot real well in mine <1.5". The Federal Barnes, Rem Corelokt, Win Platinum Tips, Rem Copper Solids all shot good. The Hornady SST's were not that good, best group was around 3-1/2" @ 100 yds I think. The Lightfields are hit and miss, but I blame the wad for that.

I have not shot the Buck Hammers or the Hasting Lazers yet, but if you don't shoot over 75 yards and don't mind deleading the barrel, the Fosters shoot real well out to 75 yards. I was laying some 15 year old sluggers I had left over from an old slug gun right on top of on another @ 50 yards the first year I had it. Only problem is the leading with those. :o
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Big Moe

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 02:22:58 AM »
My son and I have been using the lightfields 2 3/4 in the 12 ga. ultra the past 10 years. Have killed some nice deer out to 135 yards. We don't take a shot any longer than that. I woul say 90% of the lightfields go all the way through the deer with some expansion. No problem trailing or finding the deer, they don't go much further than 50 yards. Most drop when hit. We haven't tried any other brand because of the 100 yard performance, out of 3 shots we normaly get two touching holes and some times 3. Great guns. I just got 8 boxes of the hornady sst, they tempted me with the dream of a 200 yard shot. My son and I will head for the gun club this weekend after bow hunting and try the sst slugs. I have never seen a slug gun gain such popularity. Shoot a deer at 100 yards in front of the shotgun folks and watch head for the gun store! It's like rifle hunting in a shot gun county. Hope all the USH owners have enjoyed deer hunting as much as my son and I have.
                                    Have a safe season,
                                                               Moe
Two things run a man crazy, yesterday & tomorrow. You can't change yesterday, tomorrow belongs to God.

Offline a45gunslinger

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.zippyvideos.com/8333718701028686/000_0452/
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 09:40:01 AM »
I'd have to say my 12 likes the winchester part gld, However my wallet doesn't like the 18.99 a box price...I tried the Hornady sst's (11.99) today and they shoot just as well 5 rnds into about 2" @ 100yds.-Kevin

Offline Big Moe

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 12:20:50 PM »
Nice shooting 45 gunslinger. I'de be happy with toose results. Rain in Ole Virginia today, didn't get to the range to try th sst. Got to work Monday and bow hunt Monday evening. Looks like a range visit Tuesday or Wednesday, I'll report on how the sst's do.
                                                                           Moe
Two things run a man crazy, yesterday & tomorrow. You can't change yesterday, tomorrow belongs to God.

Offline Rangeball

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 09:53:47 AM »
My USH likes the Federal Barnes 3/4 oz 12g the best of what I've tried so far. Only problem with them is they are advertised at 1900 fps, but they chrony at 1700 fps.

Offline a45gunslinger

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.zippyvideos.com/8333718701028686/000_0452/
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2006, 10:55:54 AM »
Rangeball, I don't think I have ever shot factory ammo that made the advertised velocity..they probablly use a 28" test barrel - kevin

Offline Rangeball

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2006, 11:06:18 AM »
Federal uses a 30" polished smoothbore in perfect lab conditions. 

I believe Hastings advertises based on a 24" rifled barrel.  Dixie slugs advertises theirs on a 20" rifled barrel.

There was a guy at another forum that chronied a 5 round box of the Hornady SST.  They averaged the advertised 2000 fps from a 24" rifled barrel.  Only problem was there was a 300 fps variance in speed.  May not show up at 100 yards, but will be a big difference if you try to shoot them at 200 yards.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2006, 01:54:13 PM »
Dixie also uses H&R Ultras with a 24" barrels
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Buckhammer74

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2006, 06:24:33 PM »
Busta,

Thanks for the lowdown on my USH.

Has anyone done any testing on any of the afore mentioned slugs @150 or 200 yards?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2006, 11:47:07 AM »
Busta,

Thanks for the lowdown on my USH.

Has anyone done any testing on any of the afore mentioned slugs @150 or 200 yards?

The nice thing with my gun and these loads is they shoot to the same VERTICLE P.O.I. I sight the copper solids to hit right at 100yds dead on. Then the Ultras hit about 2" higher. So what I get is a honest 200 yard shotgun that will hit dead on at + - 175 yards.   
I shot it @ 200yds a couple times and its easily on a softball. I KNOW it will do better but haven't really "wrung" it out at more than 100 yards.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Big Moe

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2006, 01:29:06 AM »
Got to the range on Thursday to try the hornady sst. I shot the lightfields 2 3/4 first to make sure the scope is on. Again, excellent results, 3 shot groups and 2 out of every 3 were touching. Let my shoulder rest a few minutes and shot the hornady sst's. The sst slugs shot about 2 to 3 inches high and to the right about 3 inches? Could'nt figure this out! Why to the right? They did not group as well as the lightfields about 4 inch groups was the best I could do. I'm not going to give up on them. After my shoulder heals up I will go again and start off with sst's. I may have been a recoil shocked and flenched with the sst's. Can't wait till deer season!
                                                                  Moe

Offline rlelvis

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2006, 01:59:45 AM »
I also had the same problem with the SST's, high and to the right with a horrible group. Might not be you or the gun. I have put over 200 rounds through my USH this year and the SST's have consistantly been the worst under all conditions.  I know some are getting good results but no matter what I have done they do not perform in my USH.

Offline Big Moe

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2006, 01:43:38 PM »
Thanks, I feel better now. I'll stick with the lightfields at 1,500 fps. If I want a 200 yard shot I'll have to fire it like a mortor! I think back about where I hunt and it's not many places where i can see 200 yards. 100 to 130 yards is a good challenge and sport. I end up thankfull for the Ultra Slug that goes beyond what light barrel smooth bore shot guns can do.
                                                                  Thanks again,
                                                                                      Moe

Offline Xplorer

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2006, 04:31:05 AM »
My USH 20ga has shot the following groups:
Federal Barnes Expanders:            3-shot group @ 50yds .. 1/3"
                                                5-shot group @ 50yds .. 1 3/4"
Remmington Copper Solids:          3-shot groups @ 50yds .. 1", 1 1/4", 1 3/8"
                                                5-shot groups @ 50yds .. 1 1/8", 1 5/8"
                                                3 shot group @ 100yd .. 1 3/8"
Remmington Premier Core-Lokt Ultra:  5-shot groups @ 50yd .. 5 1/2", 6", 5"
Lightfield Hybrid Express:              3-shot group @ 50yds ..1 7/8"
Win Supreme Part Golds:              3-shot group @ 50yds .. 2 7/8"

I have been using the Copper Solids since these results.

Hope to try the Hornady SST's this week

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania. 1759

Offline Xplorer

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2006, 08:30:05 AM »
Tried a box of Hornady SST's (2 3/4", 250gr) today in my 20 USH.  3-shot group @ 100yds of 1 1/4", 5-shot group of 1 1/2".  They shot about 4" higher than the Remmington copper solids at 100yds.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania. 1759