Author Topic: The future of the 41 magnum  (Read 2713 times)

Offline Wyatte

• Trade Count: (0)
The future of the 41 magnum
« on: October 15, 2006, 07:26:33 AM »
Hi all,  I read here alot, but don't post much.  A question for you all.  I have for years had 357's and 44 magnums, and many years ago had a very nice Smith and Wesson model 657 41 mag, but sold it.  Years ago the thoughts were that the 41 wouldn't survive and that factory ammo would become more scarce.  I would like to get another one.  I do not handload.  From what I can see, there is now a fair amount of talk about the 41 mag going.  My question is, do you think if I get one, that factory ammo will always be there?  I assume there are quite a few of them out there.  What do you think the future holds for the 41 magnum?  From what I can see, I think it's a great round.  Also right now,  I see more 41 mag factory loads in stores such as Sportman's Warehouse and Cabela's than I have ever seen before.  Just would like to hear your thoughts and opinions.  Thanks alot for the help.     wyatte

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: The future of the 41 magnum
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 09:41:37 AM »
smitih just came out with a new .41 and i doubt if theyd of done that if they thought the round was dieing.
blue lives matter

Offline jason280

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 10:12:13 AM »
It's hard to say.  The .41 is one of those rounds that simply won't die, kind of like the .35 Remington.  Personally, I've never been much a fan of the .41, as recoil is similar to the .44 and ammo is much harder to find.  Plus, there are a lot more options with the .44 as far as bullets are concerned.  Nevertheless, it is a good deer and pig round with some of the heavier bullets.  It does have a fairly strong following, so I don't see factory ammo drying up.  Plus, most guns chambered in them sell really well and do hold value well (especially the Smiths).  I would buy one in a heartbeat if I could find it in a short barreled Super Blackhawk!
"Hey Peter, check out Channel 9!!"

Offline oso45-70

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 01:38:06 PM »

Wyatte.

I don't think for a minute the 41mag will ever go away, Most of the negative things you hear are just repeats people have heard and pass along. The most accurate pistol i have is a 7 1/2" ruger bisley. I do load for all my hand guns. Not to worry about the 41 mag as there are a bunch of the guys that would not have any other cal. pistol. Stay safe...........Joe.........
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline Wyatte

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 05:05:34 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  My opinion too is that the future is bright for the 41.  What's funny about it is though, when you mention it to people, they are either a big fan of it, or they haven't heard of it at all.  Just yesterday, I happened to see a cousin at Sportsman's Warehouse, and told him I was looking for 41 mag ammo.  He said "41 mag, what's that?"  He's hunted for years (rifle for deer and bird hunts some) but didn't know such a round existed.   He's not into handguns much, but he knew about the 357's and 44's, just not the 41.  I guess the 41 mag, like anything else, will have it's own devoted following.      wyatte

Offline lefty red

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 02:15:21 PM »
Someone much wiser than me said that there is alot of 44mag users, but there is more 41mag belivers! (sp?)

As long as they brass and molds for it, it will abide..............

Lefty
I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

I ain't never been lost in my life, been a might confused for a month or so.....

Pilgram, are you sure you know how to skin grizzer bear.....

Don't run little squirrel, you'll only die tired....

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 06:03:24 AM »
A lot of people talk about "dying" rounds because they arent as popular as others out there.  One the ammo shelf, you are going to see a big space on either side of the .41 for .357 and .44, but that space in the middle for the .41 is still there.  It's a good round, with many purposes, and I actually prefer it for medium sized game over both the .357 and the .44, but thats just me.  Though the big and little brother are more popular, it still gets the girls. (does, whatever you want)  ;D
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 07:20:16 AM »
I figure it will hold its own, neither gaining or losing popularity in any significant amount.

Offline Questor

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 09:42:42 AM »
I believe the .41 magnum will continue to be available much as it has since its inception. Sales remain steady probably due to hobbyist interest and periodic rejuvenations of public interest by the press.  I also believe that ammo will be available foreseeably ten to twenty years into the future, and that hand loading components will be available long after that.  The last press rejuvenation was about four years ago, and we are nearing the end of its effect.

One thing about .41 magnum ammo today is that it can be difficult to find, and may need to be special ordered to acquire it. That usually translates to higher cost of ammo too. Those are the two things I don't like about it. 

As a handloader, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I wanted one, but I'd probably get fed up with ammo availability hassles unless I was willing to buy ammo in bulk.
Safety first

Offline Wyatte

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 02:02:14 PM »
Since starting this thread, I was just browsing Gunsamerica, and spotted a very nice Smith and Wesson Model 657-3 41 mag, and bought it!  I received it a couple of days ago, and I'll bet it hasn't had more than one box of ammo through it.  It's great.  It's got the 6" barrel, like the one I had years ago.  The Sportman's Warehouse gun counter manager here locally told me that his 41 mag ammo sells pretty briskly, and that he has sold "2 or 3" of the 657's with the 7 1/2 barrel in the past month or so.  I just need to handcuff this one to my wrist so it doesn't get away like the other two did.   Corbanzo, you always have a few good words of wisdom - I like your posts, as well as everyone elses.  Thanks for the responses.    wyatte

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 03:12:07 PM »
Wyatte, I'm glad you found a way to hook up with another 41.  Now enjoy it!  I found it interesting that the 41 was equated with the 35 Remington, another "Cult Favorite".  I've owned and loved both, but I let my 41's get away, and kicked myself over it ever since.  My 35 Remmy is way down on the ballistics tables, but don't bother telling that to the truckloads of deer it has slain, they don't care.  I own a 44 and like it, but the 41 shoots flatter, kicks less, and there's something cool about owning a "weird" caliber.  BTW, the obsolete 35 just celebrated its 100th birthday, and it's better than ever!  May the 41 also do the same, 58 years from now!

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 04:48:10 PM »
I see the .41 as an excellent SD gun.  More whallop than a .357 and less recoil than an .44 mag (depending on how its loaded, of course).
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2006, 08:03:22 PM »
I doubt that many folks are going to start with a .41 mag. However, some of us .44 mag shooters will stumble across the .41 and really enjoy it. It didn't happen with me over night. I happened to find one in excellent shape, and at a good price, and bought it just because I had heard the .41 was a great round, and I didn't have one yet. Turned out to be an excellent shooter, and I like it because of all the attributes others have already mentioned: flat shooter, less recoil than a .44, and does the same job. Now I'm looking forward to getting an FA83 in .41 mag, but until then my 57 (no dash) with 240-gr HPs will do anything I want it to. Hmmmm . . . what to do with all those .44 mags? (Keep shooting them of course! Variety is the spice of life.) I wish Malin hadn't dropped their .41 rifle.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Wyatte

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 02:28:11 AM »
Old Griz,  I think you are right, in that most seem to add the 41 mag to their collection after owning some of the other  calibers such as 357 and 44.  That's what I did.  I have owned those for years, and most likely still will, but the 41 has really intrigued me as of late, and I think I was lucky to find such a nice one (Smith 657-3) to replace the ones I had sold off.  The plan for now is, this one's a keeper.     Wyatte

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 08:57:49 AM »
I doubt that many folks are going to start with a .41 mag. However, some of us .44 mag shooters will stumble across the .41 and really enjoy it. It didn't happen with me over night. I happened to find one in excellent shape, and at a good price, and bought it just because I had heard the .41 was a great round, and I didn't have one yet. Turned out to be an excellent shooter, and I like it because of all the attributes others have already mentioned: flat shooter, less recoil than a .44, and does the same job. Now I'm looking forward to getting an FA83 in .41 mag, but until then my 57 (no dash) with 240-gr HPs will do anything I want it to. Hmmmm . . . what to do with all those .44 mags? (Keep shooting them of course! Variety is the spice of life.) I wish Malin hadn't dropped their .41 rifle.

I have shot the 41 for years, I started because I found one and thought it was neat, but then I shoot oddball cals because I like them. As for the Marlin, I have one of them myself, nice rifle, and I saw one for sale a couple of weeks ago new in a gun shop, PM me if you want the name of the place.

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline fordfan428

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2006, 06:52:14 PM »
"I doubt that many folks are going to start with a .41 mag."..The .41 mag is the first large bore (been shooting a Browning Challenger 2 for many years) handgun I have owned, 3 months now..As was stated above I wanted something with more punch then a .357 but less recoil then a .44 mag..Didn't think I would need a handgun larger then a .22 but after running into moose and bear (on seperate trips) I wanted something that would give me a little better chance just in case..I know the much larger hand cannons would have been better on these animals but not if I am going to flinch so much I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn..LOL..The .41 mag has been so much fun to shoot I really wish I would have bought one sooner..

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 01:57:31 PM »
The .41 mag has been so much fun to shoot I really wish I would have bought one sooner..

Amen!
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2006, 02:57:57 AM »
I think if one of the ammo makers would stick thier neck out and produce some heavier jacketed bullets and a few 41 special loads that the 41 would see some renewed interest.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline Questor

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2006, 04:30:29 AM »
I believe that interest in the 41 magnum feeds interest in the 44 magnum.
Safety first

Offline RJM

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2006, 12:10:56 PM »
If no one has noticed there are now more factory and custom .41 Magnum rounds now than at any time in historty.

Federal:
210 JHP Power-Shok
250 Cast Core
180 Barnes Expander

Winchester:
240 Platinum
175 Silvertip (mid-range)

PMC:
210 JHP

Speer:
210 Gold Dot HP

CorBon:
170 JHP (mid-range)
210 JHP
250 HardCast

Bufflalo Bore:
170 JHP (high velocity)
265 HardCast
230 Keith

Georgia Arms:
210 JHP
210 Lead SWC (only target load on the market)
210 Gold Dot HP

Conley Precision:
170 JHP
210 JHP (Hornady XTP HP)

Remington:
210 SP
(They have a beautiful 200 grain JHP that was in limited production but they never brought it forward)

But with the ever increasing price of ammo reloading is getting to be a hobby any magnum handgunner needs to start doing.

Bob

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2006, 02:10:12 PM »
Also, Reed's Ammunition & Research: 41 Magnum 210g Gold Dot HP.
Griz
<*}}}><

Offline 257 roberts

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2006, 05:28:09 PM »
The 41 Mag has always been a red-headed step child but its too good to die.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Heavy Jacketed for 41 magnum
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 11:25:45 PM »
The 41 was my first centerfire handgun. I bought a S&W M 58 that had gone begging at a gun shop for over a year in the mid 70's when Dirty Harry and the Alaska Pipeline created a 44 mag fever. The 44's flew out of the shops at wild prices and there were back orders for months. I'm small boned, small hands but needed more power than a 357 offered while walking Alaska streams counting fish. So the 58 seemed ideal for me and it was very affordable. I liked the M58 but wanted adjustable sights so traded it for a M57 which I still have (sure wish I'd kept the 58).  Since then I've stuck with the 41, bought a Ruger Bisley and Redhawk and last year the Marlin rifle.  Still like them and I too like odd-ball rounds.  I've taken 1 small caribou with the Redhawk and Corbon 265 hard cast. I have shot a lot of Speer bullets and Remingtons.  The now discontinued Rem 170s were very accurate in my guns. 

I too have wished for a heavier jacketed bullet as my Marlin gets leaded up with some cast bullets.

Look in GB's New Products forum - a guy in Bend Oregon is making a nice 250 gr bullet.  I have 2 boxes of them sitting on my bench begging me to load them up.  I may start tomorrow. I got stuck in Anchorage for 5 weeks and now I'm trying to catch up on home chores so I can try these out.  He tells me he's working on a hollow point design for better expansion.

I hope they shoot as good as they look and I hope he keeps making them. The only other source I know if is Hawk bullets.

Here's part of the info:

Joe Cullison's Outlaw Bullets is proud to announce my first bullet available for sale.
The bullet is a 41 caliber, .410 diameter, 250gr, jacketed, flat point bullet.
The bullet has a 61% meplat for a devastating wound channel while maintaining good accuracy out to 200 yards or better.
The jacket is a .015 thickness and is not serrated. The core is pure lead and every bullet is hand swaged. Weights vary by +/- .5gr with most falling well under that range.
The bullets are double cannelured to allow for seating at the SAAMI Length of 1.590 or at a length of 1.690. The 1.690 will fit in a Smith, Ruger or Freedom cylinder and allows for an additional .100 of powder.
The bullets are currently available for sale for $25 per box (100 count).
Shipping will be $8 for one box or $8 for up to 18 boxes.
Please contact Joe at
jcunclejoe@aol.com   or call 541-317-8801 evenings
Thanks
Joe
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Pixsurguy

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2006, 08:57:44 AM »
I've been handloading for and shooting the .41 mag. since at least 1977 and I've had several revolvers for that caliber.   I bought my first .41 mag, a S&W M57 in 8-3/8" as preparation for a wild boar hunt in TN.   When my buddy and I decided to go I figured that I needed a .44 mag. 

I bought a .22 revolver and started practicing.  Followed up with a .357 and began with .38s and finished with full power +P .357s.  Then I bought the .41 magnum.   After I'd had it a while and started shooting handgun metallic silohuette, I realized that the .41 was flatter shooting (and arguably had more inherent accuracy) and that it was close enough to the .44 mag. that little practical pig hunting difference existed between the two.   

Now after all these years, I still see no need to move "up" from the .41 to a .44.    However, in your case I gather that you already have a .44 mag. and I see no point in your going to a .41.  There is no magic in the .41 that does not exist (and then some) in the .44 mag.

Offline ccoker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • www.tacticalgunreview.com
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2006, 04:54:22 AM »
I got a 657 with a 7.5" barrel last week
I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to shoot
on paper, the loads I shot are the same as a 44, same weight and velocity but the 41 sure is easier to shoot
and a friend with a 7.5 ruger redhawk shot it this past weekend and totally agreed
I don't really understand that..

with the 240g platinum tips it keyholes at 25 yards off the bench
I shot nice sized doe with it this weekend at 46 yards, complete pass through both shoulders
sausage is being made this week!

I LOVE it
I want to try the Georgia Arms 210 SWC for practice as shooting the hunting loads is hella expensive!

speaking of which, anyone use their 210g "deer stopper" load?

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2006, 04:34:33 AM »
Don't see it going away any time in the near future. Just bought another one. Ruger 3 screw with a 6&1/2" barrel. Already had a 4" 57-0 smith.

"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline JHT

• Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2006, 05:15:00 AM »
Wyatte, it appears that most agree that the .41 mag in its different guises is here to stay.  I clearly remember years ago similar conversations, before the advent of the computer and the resulting forums, about the dimise of the .41.  It's probably time that such talk cease, but whether it will or not I for one do not know.  What we do know though is that the .41 is healthy and is satisfying the shooting public, the raw data proves that.  Enjoy shooting the round and don't fear just because some pundits need something to write about.

Happy Holidays,

Jay
"Things will get done little by small."  ---  Joseph J. Venturo Sr.  ---  Joseph was my father-in-law, while he was not a formally educated man he certainly and without doubt was a very smart man, and a man who loved his children.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2006, 07:10:20 AM »
If memory serves me correctly the .41 mag was developed as an SD gun for the police.  As such it probably is much easier to shoot accuraately in a heavier framed gun and if you don't like that you'll most likely stick with the .357.  If you want the heavier framed gun then why not go to the .44 mag?  Having said that, if I were using a .41 for SD I'd sure have a ton of confidence in its ability to get the job done as long as I did my part. 
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2006, 08:46:06 AM »
Dusty, here's a copy of the original advertising.
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline Wyatte

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2006, 06:16:18 AM »
Ccoker - when you said that your 240 Platinum loads wre keyholing, did you mean they were shooting accurately, or were they turning over and going in sideways?  I took it to mean they were shooting into one hole.  Anyway, thanks for all the responses.  As I mentioned earlier, I did find a beautiful 6" 657 on Gunsamerica, and am totally happy with it.  It shoots great, and has the nicest action of any revolver I have ever owned, and I have had a lot!  I bought a box of the 240 gr Platinum tip loads, but have not tried it yet.  I really like the Speer Gold Dot 210 grain factory load.  As most Speer stuff is, it is extremely accurate.   Thanks again, and Merry Christmas to all.    wyatte