Author Topic: Gun for the poorest of people?  (Read 3254 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Gun for the poorest of people?
« on: October 16, 2006, 01:59:52 PM »
If you were dirt poor and were hard pressed to buy any gun at all but needed protection anyway, what gun would you get, and how would you get it? How would you store or carry it?

Safety first

Offline jpsmith1

• Contributor
Re: Gun for the poorest of people?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 02:49:19 PM »
Lets see... I could take this several different ways.  By protection, I'm assuming that you are talking about CCW type carry.  In that instance, I'd look into a used Taurus 5-shot .357 snubbie.  I like .357 because it gives the option of using .38s in a cash pinch, but if money is good, you can pick up a few magnums.  As far as how to carry/store, I'd go for Uncle Mike's holsers.  They're pretty cheap and have served me well in the field for several years.

Another route to take would be a cheap DA .22 LR revolver.  Ammo is cheap but can be used in extreme to defend life and property.
Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....

Offline jimster

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 03:41:41 PM »
I'd get a used double action Ruger (Security six, sp101 or maybe even a 3" GP), and call up "Simply Rugged" and ask Rob to make me a pancake holster with some removeable inside out snaps so I could carry two different ways, and I'd have both a gun and a holster that would last forever for a good price.

Offline Questor

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 03:46:24 PM »
I'm thinking in terms of home protection for somebody who is fearing for his or her life.
Safety first

Offline Buford

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
Best bet for the dollar........
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 04:01:14 PM »
I would go with a good used single shot twelve guage..........hard to beat for the money spent.

Offline jpsmith1

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 03:16:18 AM »
12 gauge.  No questions there.  Personally, I'd stick two nails in the wall about 5 feet up.  Probably close to the bed.  1 round of #6 shot or so in the chamber, not that shot size really matters at CQB distance.  Maybe hacksaw the barrel off to just legal length for additional convenience in a tight spot.

Strap a shell carrier onto the buttstock and load 6 extras there.  I used a very similar setup to hunt geese and could ALMOST keep pace with a pump gun.  The best part was the I had 7 steady shots on tap where the pump guys had to stop to reload after 3. 

Offline Heavy C

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 12:29:23 PM »
If I was dirt poor I'd go for a used revolver in 38 or 357 mag. and an inside the pocket holster.  You have options in ammo and portability.  Low maintenance and easy to operate to boot.

Offline Larry Gibson

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 01:46:22 PM »
I'm thinking in terms of home protection for somebody who is fearing for his or her life.

The single shot 12 ga, no doubt about it.  Simple to use (even under pressure), effective at "home" ranges with inexpensive trap loads and thus inexpensive to practice with and minimal maintenance required.  I also suggest shortening the barrel to legal limit and also shortening the butt stock and adding an inexpesive slip on recoil pad.  Both alterations can be done without the expense of a gunsmith.

Larry Gibson

Offline JoeG52

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 02:41:54 PM »
For home defense you can't beat a 12ga.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 12:03:40 AM »
one of those cheap swith barreled new englands would be nice with say a 20 guage barrel and a 06. In a handgun a 4 5/8s super blackhawk hands down. It could be used for hunting woods bumming home protection and is small enough to conseal if you had too. Loaded up or down it would take care of anything from self protection with 200 grain hps in 44 spec brass to hunting the biggest of game with a 300 grain hardcast. There about the best bang for the buck in a handgun on the market.
blue lives matter

Offline RollTide

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 01:58:57 PM »
spend $100 bucks or less on a used 12g pump with an 18" barrel and you have the best home protection you can get.  No need to buy expensive buck shot either, no. 6's or no. 4's would definitely do the job at across the room distances and would have less overpenetration.

For a handgun, it would be hard to beat a CZ 52 or a Makarov.  Both can be had for around $100 and you can find cheap surplus ammo for both.

Roll Tide

Offline jro45

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 03:59:20 AM »
I would buy a shotgun. Some of them are pretty cheap

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 09:10:44 AM »
Another vote for the 12 gauge single shot cut to 18 with extra ammo on the butt stock.  I will differ with ammo choice though in that I would recommend having 00 buck at least available.  I won't argue with the first round being #4 birdshot if you live somewhere with very thin walls.  But keep in mind you need enough penetration to get through heavy clothing if you live somewhere that gets cold in the winter.  Shot loads (not slugs) are not very good penetrators anyway so I would have some buck available at least for follow up shots if needed. 

Swampman

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 11:41:56 AM »
A used NEF or H&R 12 Gauge and cut the barrel to 20"

Offline lefty red

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2006, 12:54:22 PM »
SHOTGUN-Used Mossberg 12ga, they go for $125 around here.

HANDGUN-HiPoint in 40S&W or 45ACP.  I've got both adn they are great handguns!  Feed everything I've gave them, including duty ammo!  About $175 NIB around here.

RIFLE-HiPoint Carbine 995, the 9mm one.  I've had both the 4095 (40S&W) and the 9mm.  The 9mm wins hands down!  Light and handy, the 40S&W was too big and bulky for the carbine.

Lefty
I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

I ain't never been lost in my life, been a might confused for a month or so.....

Pilgram, are you sure you know how to skin grizzer bear.....

Don't run little squirrel, you'll only die tired....

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2006, 06:30:41 PM »
Hmmm....Handgun - 357/38 snubbie
Shotgun - 12 GA cut the barrel down to the legal limit...Name it the STREET SWEEPER...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline heavyrecoil

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2006, 07:46:54 PM »
Seriously, you just can't go wrong with a 12ga shotgun. A Mossberg "Maverick" sells (MSRP) for around $160. There are some other new imports that sell for even less. Any handgun at this price point is underpowered and/or an unreliable POJ.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2006, 04:27:57 AM »
I would go with the 12 gauge.  Lately, I have seen several different makes advertised in the $150-$200. range.  One model of the Mossberg came with two barrels, a short one for defense and a longer one for hunting.  WIth a eight round capacity this would be my choice.

Swampman

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2006, 05:48:17 AM »
You can get a used NEF Pardner for $50.00.

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2006, 05:53:24 AM »
Yep, I'm with all the fellas on the shotgun.  You can find a used pump 12 gauge for $100 if you are looking right.  One of my buddies bought a used Mossberg 500 in good condition for $150 not too long ago.  In a pump shotgun, you dont even need that high of quality, some of the old stevens work as good as any mossy or remington and go real cheap if you can find them.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2006, 02:47:33 PM »
If you need a gun for the house, any shotgun will do.  If you need something to carry, it has to be a handgun.  I recommend the revolver, and if you shop around, you can still find deals on used 38/357's.  I picked up a "Gently Used" Ruger Service-Six 357 this morning for a hundred bucks, with an extra set of grips, and a half box of ammo.  Shopping around isn't just for the ladies, ya know!  Good deals are where you find them.  Patience pays off!

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2006, 09:51:10 AM »
I agree with the shotgun.

If you wanted to get a handgun, go with a P series Ruger. It won't break the bank, especially if you can find a used one, and dependable.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline snuffer#1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2006, 11:26:48 AM »
I would opt for the rossi 38 spec. +p snubby. I have one and it's a shooter. As far as price, it was $240.50 out the door. (new) ;D If you can squeeze a little more cash out, then get the rossi 357 snubby. both of these are 5 shot.
                                                                                            snuffer
Anything worth learning can't be taught in a classroom.

Offline PaulS

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2006, 06:51:30 PM »
Dirt cheap, for self defense, no money....

sounds like time for an improvised weapon. With some gas pipe and a little work you have a 12 guage, or a 410 depending on the size of pipe. most have one moving piece and are single shot but they are just as effective as an expensive shotgun at self defense ranges. I would not recommend anyone do anything illegal but in a survival situation it would only take an hour or less to put together a quick to reload 12 guage from two pieces of pipe, a pipe plug and a screw.
You can build fancier guns but for survival purposes looks don't count.
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2006, 08:48:05 AM »
I see all these video clips of folks in third world nations wearing rags but carrying AK-47s, so that must be the gun for the poorest of people. Can't afford pants or food, but got that AK.  ;D
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline RLB

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2006, 10:32:19 AM »
I bought a stoeger twice barrel coach gun used for $150.00 last summer..My wife loves shooting it so I keep it loaded with 000 buckshot and keep it laying under the bed....of course theres no kids around so its safe......

Robert.....

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2006, 11:44:06 PM »
Well, this little thing has had a good run, and, I have avoided the last part of the question on purpose.
HOW WOULD YOU GET IT???
Well, the first thought is that the poorest already have a gun. They got it off the streets and they stuff it in their pants.
I would suggest that one might be limited in choices of calibers and platforms but that does not seem to matter much. What do they know of such things???
I have two floating around out there somewhere---read---@#!!!XXX%$#@*&&.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2006, 04:17:14 AM »
Only one gun to try and do everything?  Gotta agree that it would have to be the 12 ga. but since this is posed in the handgun forum:  I would avoid the cheap stuff like the plague, their only good purpose is for someone that wants something different to play with.  Special purpose weapons are also eliminated because we're looking for a general purpose weapon so that immediately eliminates the snubbies.  Inexpensive quality generally equates to used.  General purpose, or can be made to serve to some degree in most needs.  This is pretty simple: a revolver in 38 spcl or even better, 357 mag with a barrel length between 4 and 6 inches, adjustable sights would be nice but not a deal breaker.  Lots of choices S&W, Rossi, Ruger, Colt, Dan Wesson, Charter Arms......, ect. any can be found for less than $200, ok this one is $210 http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976671501.htm .  As far as how to get it?  Work for it!  I know I'm nieve but to me, everyone is an honest person till they prove differently but this is how I see the world, so to me and exchange of my labor; sweep and mop the floors, clean the counters, clean the windows, sweep the parking lot, babysit his kids, walk his dog's wash'n wax the car, is an easy way to earn it.  Even a $10 a day, that's 21 days, 23 if you add tax and bullets, it ain't that long.  There's only  two kinds of poor folk, those who've fallen on bad times and those who can't work.  Those who won't work don't qualify, that's another "soap-box" topic about the human gene pool needing more clorine and I don't care that they don't have protection.   :-[  ooops, sorry 'bout that, guess I got a little off topic.
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2006, 06:53:55 AM »
If I were dirt poor I would use exactly what I use now for personal protection and that would be nothing.  Have lots of guns for hunting and target shooting, just never felt the need to have one available for personal protection.  And no, I do not fault anyone that does have them for personal protection.

Offline jpsmith1

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2006, 12:53:36 PM »
Seeing this pop back up made me rethink a little bit, especially the post by Bullseye.  Who says you NEED a GUN for person protection.  Being on an extremely limited budget basically rules out the practice that is required to maintain a proficiency with a handgun.  OUT!  Shotguns, at close range, are basically large bore rifles that require practice to use effectively.  Not as much as a handgun, but the budget is tight, so nearly any practice is OUT.

What about a good length of stick?  A 4-5' long walking stick is a nasty weapon at close range.  Give a 'bore' diameter of 1-1 1/4" and the caliber is just about right for most 2 legged predators and the price and cost of 'practice' fit right in the family budget.  A short walk in most wooded areas will turn up just the right thing.  Saw the ends somewhere close to square, if you want to get fancy, install a wrist strap made of old shoelace and you're out $.10 maybe, since you were probably going to pitch those old laces anyway.

I'd rather have a .357 or a 12 gauge, but I also shoot a lot and hunt, wo use of those weapons comes pretty easily for me.  If I had to live under the original constraints, I'd get a stick.  At extremely close range it can disarm most 'gang-banger' type assailants with ease.  A trained opponent would be a more difficult target, but how many street punk train and practice?

Plus, it's legal to carry in the street without a permit or holster.   And I think that it's legal in all 50 states, so the grabbers haven't gotten to sticks YET!