Author Topic: 6.5 Gibbs  (Read 2214 times)

Offline RG2

• Trade Count: (0)
6.5 Gibbs
« on: October 16, 2006, 08:24:44 PM »

What is a 6.5 Gibbs?  My local gun shop has one he is selling for an estate.  This is a custom gun built on a 98 Mauser action.
Suppose to have be built in about 1957.  Gun shop manager thought the 6.5 Gibbs is a wildcat based on the 06 case.  Any one shooting one?  What can you tell me about it. 

I told the gunshop that I knew where I could get some info on this wildcat.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

RG2

Offline iiranger

• Contributor
Re: 6.5 Gibbs
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 07:19:16 AM »
Wolf Press, AZ, did a book on Rocky Gibbs. What I remember, briefly, he was in Denver, there was a gun club with a competition. Least drop at 500 yards (?). He reamed out a .270 WCF to what became Gibbs, blew the shoulder forward. I think he insisted on a 1 caliber neck length. And with that pot of powder, he won consistently. Demand made him a gunsmith. He was very careful in making his chambers. Liked Denver '43 surplus /'06 brass. Stronger, he felt. Not unlike Mr. Ackley, sharp shoulder, blew it as far forward as feasible and used the powder capacity in common rifles. 98. Springfield, etc. Calibers from 6mm to .338... So what you are looking at is a hot version of the .25/'06, .270 WCF... Hot, hot, hot. Not the best for barrel life. No prairie dogs. But probably top quality and with reloaded ammo, equals the likes of 7 Rem mag, Weatherbys???, etc. I think it said he was an immigrant from Greece? Anyway, sickness in his youth left him weakened and he died fairly young. (50's?) Not trusting others to NOT exploit his work he had his wife burn his papers, etc. You may have a prize. No idea value. luck/happy trails.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 01:47:30 PM »
 :) The Gibbs cartridges were very well covered. I had a bunch of load date for these calibers in the 50's. I kept it until 7 or 8 years ago, and gave it all to a pal.  :'( He had a shop in the 50's in Viola, Idaho. He may have well started in Denver. I do know his loads were very, very, hot. It think by todays standards, he was well beyond the limits of safety. :-*

Offline Mannlicher

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 02:40:46 PM »
If the shop will cut  you a deal on the rifle, you can always have it rechambered, or rebarreled  to a standard caliber.
Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Offline muskeg13

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 05:05:03 PM »
If you handload and are willing to pay the price for special order die ($124 from Hunington/RCBS), don't be afraid of this one.  You'll have to fireform from cases based on the '06; .270 Winchester brass can be reformed easily.  I have a 6.5-06 Ackley Improved, which is a close relative of the 6.5 Gibbs.  The 6.5 AI is a good long range hunting and target rifle, and the 6.5 Gibbs would only be better.  I thought about having my rifle chambered for the Gibbs round, but thought the Ackley version better since it was easier for the gunsmith to obtain the chamber reamer and the dies were cheaper.  The 6.5 Gibbs can almost match .264 Winchester ballistics.  It also depends on how nice this custom rifle is.

Offline iiranger

• Contributor
Hot???
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 07:23:46 AM »
Another point, comes back to me (ha, ha), he did not follow "the rules" because, THEN, there were no rules as yet. When he talked about a 22 inch barrel, he meant that he loaded a bullet backwards, put the blunt cartridge into the gun, dropped a rod down the barrel and, essentially, measured the rifled length of the barrel without the length of the chamber which adds, in '06 over 2 inches. Modern "methods" / "rules" include the chamber in the length of the barrel. This made for alot of dis agreement about what was possible in a given "barrel length." He also emphasized carefully polished chambers to maximize the "grip" of the case while under pressure, to reduce back thrust... Helped to "get away" with high pressure. Unsafe? Not the "sue happy" world of today.  Mr. Ackley discusses this "straight case" side walls in his book(s) at length as it applies to Ackley Imps and wildcats but same story all around. A "leap forward" in shooting possibilites and his short life probably denied him just recognition. (Mr. Ackley's many magazine columns got his name out. I have a couple personal letters answering "kid" questions that I cherish.) luck

Offline RG2

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 04:49:02 AM »
Today I relooked at the 6.5 Gibbs rifle at the gun shop.  It is a 98 mauser action.  no name is on the barrel as for as brand the only

thing on the barrel is 6.5 Gibbs.  It has a fixed 4 power Weaver scope with Redfield mounts.  The bluing is about 95% it has a ok

wood walnut stock.  It is really heavy.  The barrel is 24 inches sporster.  Over all it is really clean.  The shop wants $475 + tax for a tota
of $515.  Plus dies of $$125 now it is getting more than I want to pay. 

I have thought about getting it and having it rebored tor a .280. What do you think of this. or just having it rebarreled. to a 6.5 -06.

Thanks for all of your ideas on this one.

RG2 

Offline iiranger

• Contributor
dies...
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 06:39:39 AM »
ch4d.com usually had dies at better prices than Huntington (sorry Fred)... And on ebay, this will not pull a big crowd, but might take you forever to find too...

If there is no precise ID that Mr. Gibbs did the work, then you just have another rifle and in a non factory caliber. Converted mil. 98? or Commercial? You about rival the .264 Winchester Mag in preformance, but if you do have to make your own ammo... *******What is YOUR PLEASURE???********* If the parts appeal to you, then, yes, you can convert/rebarrel to any other '06 based round (including the '06).  While there is some fine "re-borers" out there, I would lean toward a "name brand" barrel if I went that way. So, to me, how good are the parts? How much do I like the parts? Am I willing to spend... Some of the target supply shops have used target rifles of all descriptions (Rem 700/40X mainly) awful cheap... luck... Your bucks...

Offline RG2

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 05:42:28 AM »
I think I am going to pass on this one.  As my Grandfather use to say "There is too much sugar for a dime."  Meaning it is to much

hassle and cost for what you get.  I reload, but don't need another 06 case rifle.  I think I can do better putting that money some

where else. 

I am looking at several projects.

Thanks for all of the comments

RG@

Offline Cowboybart

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (50)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 10:00:00 AM »
Sounds like alot of $$$ to me.  Wildcat rifles never sell unless they come w/ dies.  I never buy wildcats unless they come w/ dies.  (sometimes I start the project by finding dies then building the rifle - my 30 Newton started that way).    I'd offer $350 max, unless he can throw dies in.
Some is Good - More is Better - Too Much is Just Right