Author Topic: Crimson Trace Laser grips  (Read 698 times)

Offline Bridger

• Trade Count: (0)
Crimson Trace Laser grips
« on: October 17, 2006, 10:18:46 AM »
Anyone have these on a revolver or semi-auto? I'm looking for a new 1911 and the only one I've found locally that I like has a set of these on it. Boosts the price considerably. Anyone use them on the range? Any help or just show how shaky you really are? I'd probably buy this gun if it didn't have these grips on them but just curious if they help at all with accuracy on the range.

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
Re: Crimson Trace Laser grips
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 12:24:55 PM »
I have them on a S&W 637 tha I got for my wife.  They work well at close ranges (i.e. personal defense).  If you're not careful they can become a cruch.  My wife has been practicing without the laser grips in order to learn how to properly shoot that revolver.  You never know if the battery will die at a crucial moment.  I put night sights on my 1911 that I carry.  It all boils down to the intended use of the pistol.

Offline Flinch

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 08:27:16 AM »
 I have these on a 1911 and think they are great, probably the best night site you can get.
 They improve my accuracy tremendously. Great for indoor shooting and low light, but a brite sunny day will make them almost worthless.
  As for the batteries just going dead all of the sudden, it just doesnt work that way. It goes dim before it goes dead, so you will know when to change them.
 They can be a crutch so it good to shoot without them also.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 12:02:09 PM »
I've reviewed/tested them on several guns in the past. I currently have a set on my S&W Model 60 3" .357 Magnum. I can shoot better groups with the laser than with the sights on it. Even tho the sights are adjustable that short barrel doesn't give much of a sight radius and I find the laser to be more accurate for me at least. I love them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 03:08:30 PM »
An excellent choice for a CCW or personal defense gun.  I was opposed to them until I purchased a gun that had them, afterwards I was sold and have since added them to several of my guns.

Generally speaking, mose personal defense situations occur at night, or during low lite conditions.  The laser site allows you to hold the pistol on the hip while both eyes are on the target, all you have to do is place the dot where you want it and pull the trigger.

Like GB said, my shooting improved with the laser, and under most conditions they work equally as well during the daylight hours.  I can see the dot out to about 40-50 feet depending on how bright the sun is.  Out to about 20-25 feet it is effective even in bright sunlight.  As for a dead battery when you need it, the used gun that I bought with the grips already installed is well over two years old, and the laser seems to be as bright as ever.  If you are truly concerned about a dead battery when you need it, then establish a preventive maintenance schedule and changing the batteries at a set time,  depending on use.  Batteries are not expensive, so once a year would not break the bank, and that would provide the peace of mind to have confidance in the gun.

Antother very important plus.  It was easy to have my wife and grand daughters shooting on target in a very short period with the laser grips.  In my opinion they are well worth the price.

Offline lefty red

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 02:11:26 PM »
I know of three incidents where lasers took the fight out of the BG.  Its just something about that reddot on their chest that lets them know that this is for real!

I plan on getting a set for the L/K frame square butts (#307) when I can find them cheap enough.  All I can find now is the mulitpurpose ones and they are too big.

Lefty
I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

I ain't never been lost in my life, been a might confused for a month or so.....

Pilgram, are you sure you know how to skin grizzer bear.....

Don't run little squirrel, you'll only die tired....

Offline HuntingGuy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 08:20:01 AM »
I've heard nothing but great things about them.  I thought about buying one for my Glock 36 until I realized that they don't make them for the particular model (since it doesn't share frame similarity with any other glock).  Let us know how you like them, CTC has great customer service if you have any problems.   :)
HuntingGuy
Hunting in Minnesota Moderator

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline MS Hitman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 02:16:31 AM »
I recently installed a XR RED-3 grip on a SBH Hunter for a guy so he can use a set of the CT grips for deer hunting.  They seemed to work well.  Another friend of mine has them on a Ruger Single -Six and wore out the jackrabbits on his last TX prarie dog shoot.  If you like them, I;d say go for it.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 01:49:14 PM »
It used to be than whenever anybody brought up the topic of laser sights the Luddites would come out of the woodwork but the tide has turned strongly in their favor.  My 4" 629 has'm as does my Colt Commander.  Just remember, the laser sight is straight as all gittout and the bullet travels an arc.  The two cross at some point but at other points the laser is either low or high in relation to the bullet.  You've gotta decide for yourself where the two cross and in a SD gun that'd probably be pretty close to the shooter.   
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Greeenriver

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 02:09:41 PM »
I recently installed a XR RED-3 grip on a SBH Hunter for a guy so he can use a set of the CT grips for deer hunting.  They seemed to work well.  Another friend of mine has them on a Ruger Single -Six and wore out the jackrabbits on his last TX prarie dog shoot.  If you like them, I;d say go for it.

If using them for hunting, check your state laws first. In Michigan, they are considered an artifical light and are illegal for hunting.  They are legal for personal defence wepons, and I highly recomend them for that.

Greeenriver
Most of life's problems can be handled by a sutiable application of high explosives