Author Topic: Transfer bar fell off  (Read 575 times)

Offline The Chad

• Trade Count: (0)
Transfer bar fell off
« on: October 17, 2006, 03:55:02 PM »
My two week old handi is broken. While cleaning this evening the transfer bar fell out. The pin was either not stacked well enough or too much and the end broke off. My dilema is this is my deer rifle I was to use in two and half weeks. Not enough time to send in for repair. I fitted the barrel to another handi that I have(223) and it seems to lock up just fine. But, there is a very, very small amount of side to side movement in the receiver. Should I be concerned or try it as it is. What a thing to happen right before deer season.

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Transfer bar fell off
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 04:16:53 PM »
chad

this is my experience only.

I had a receiver that i had both a 223 and 243 mounted on.  The receiver belonged to the 223.  The 243 barrel had just a little of the side to side action that you talk about.  Never had any problems as far as safety, but my accuracy with the 243 was pitifu.  I thought I needed to find different loads or something.  Finally got another receiver and the 243 fit it perfect.  All of the sudden, it was accurate with anything. 

Try it, see what happens.  But try it now!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 05:04:56 PM »
Contact H&R at their toll free number in the FAQ and have em send you the parts so you can replace it yourself, several others here have done exactly this. I ordered a replacement lifter and striker(transfer bar parts) so I'd have em just in case, parts aren't expensive, kinda like a spare tire for the truck!! ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 05:07:29 PM »
Chad.
Did the tranfer bar actually break or did the visible piece just fall out. There are three pieces to the tranfer bar, a sping and two parts held together with a pin. All three piece are attached to  the latch they are all held together by a pin going through the frame.

What has happened before, the smal pin worked it way out because it was not rivited. I fthat is what happened all you have to do is put the pin back in and peen the end.

See perklo instructions for trigger work. punch out the frame pins and reinstall the tranfer bar pin. But if the tranfer bar is broke you have to get a new one send.

Yor 280 barrel should work on the 223 frame. If it locks up tied the side play may not bother too much.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline The Chad

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 05:40:39 PM »
Hey, guys thanks for all of the advice. I disassembled and restaked the pin. Seems like it will hold well now. I would recommend that anybody attempting this should make the slave pin that is in the help section. Darn near impossible to do without it. Thanks to Fred and Tim for all the knowledge and experience that each of you bring to this board. My hats off to you both..

Chad

Offline Mike Bare

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 02:57:27 PM »
I had the same problem a couple of months ago with my new .280.......Just took it back to the gun shop where I bought it and they were able to repair it free of charge! Just antother reason I try to buy all of my guns at a real gun shop rather than Wally World.......The difference in the price doesn't matter so much when they stand behind the products they sell! I asked them what the chances were of the same thing happening again and I was told that it is not very likely that it will ever happen again.....yours is the only other case I have heard of.                      Mike

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 03:27:05 PM »
Not to rain on your parade Mike, but it's been reported quite a few times here in the last 2˝yrs, if the search was working, I'd point em out to ya. That said, H&R has been real good about fixing them or sending the parts for the owners to make the repairs. ;) 

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mike Bare

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 04:16:07 PM »
OK Tim, I stand corrected. I have to tell you that I have only been a member her for a couple of months and I can't read all of the posts.....have to work sometime, ya know. Anyhow, I hope we don't have this problem again, and if I do, I know where to take it to..... Good Hunting To All!!!!                        Mike