Author Topic: Fulls Size revolver carry  (Read 945 times)

Offline totallycustom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Fulls Size revolver carry
« on: October 20, 2006, 08:31:02 AM »
How feasible is it to really carry a full size 357 around all day like a k-frame or GP-100?  Does anyone do it? How do you hide it? What about barrel length?

I am thinking about getting a new double action and was wondering how it was to carry, any info helps.

Thanks -TC-
-TC-

Offline rockbilly

Re: Fulls Size revolver carry
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 04:45:42 PM »
It depends on dress, but normally I like to carry as much gun as possible in as light weight and compact package.  The largest percentage of my carry is inb the front pocket of my jeans, so a large frame revolver is out of question.  When dressed in a suit, slacks, or shorts I often go to an inside the pants holster.

I really don't think any one person can convince you of how you should carry, everyone here has a different idea of the gun and method of carry, the important thing is JUST CARRY. 

Offline Poohgyrr

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 05:20:14 PM »
Good equipment (belt, holster, speedloader pouches) is a must.  Then clothes that fit properly, around the gun.  The small Detective Special is easier to carry, but the bigger K and N frames shoot better.  When I get tired after a long day and start to think these weigh too much, my bathroom scale tells me how much more my stomach weighs.  Then I grin at myself and these seem to weigh less...

Cargo shorts and a polo shirt cover these up pretty well in summer.  Here are thumbnails of three revolver setups, a small frame 2" Detective Special .38S&W, a midframe 2 1/2" M66 .357 S&W Magnum, and a large frame 4" M24 S&W .44 Special:

John

Blue Skies, green hills, clean trout streams, and home made ice cream

"Life brings us joys and sorrow alike, it is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true measure of his mettle."  T. Roosevelt

Offline StrawHat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 06:48:06 PM »
For a decade or so I carried either a S&W M19 or a custon S&W M28 daily.  I started carrying in Pancake holsters then went to Bianchi's model 5BH, then back to pancakes.   Always strong side and always on a good belt.  I believe that a good belt makes the system.  I always wore a holster on a double thickness belt from one or the other holster makers.  Not only does a good belt keep your trousers where you want them but more importantly it keeps your gun where you put it.

A good belt also spreads the weight (of the gun) around and makes it possible to carry a full sized revolver comfortably.

Just some food for thought.

G'luck
"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice."  anonymous

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 02:46:59 AM »
I used to carry Glocks and or 1911 fulsize handguns, now I carry only a 2"  5 shot 44 mag which pretty easy to dress around.

Offline PaulS

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 06:04:49 PM »
I carry a 6" 357 Ruger Security-Six in a strong side pancake holster. It is mouted high enough to keep it above the bottom of a jacketand low enough that i can grab it and shoot very quickly - even at 56. Most will tell you that you can't do that with anything longer than a 4" barrel but I am living proof that it is easy to do. I am only 5' 10" and 180 pounds so I don't have a lot of room to hide a  gun - especially one the size of that Ruger but it hides easily next to my side. I tried to carry it in a shoulder rig for a while but it was too loose and hurt my back, pulling on one side like that.
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline Thebear_78

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 08:46:17 PM »
I carry a 3" 686 +1  with a clipdraw quite often.   It is fairly easy to hide that way.  I have used the clipdraws on a couple of pistols now from a 1911 colt commander, a Kahr pm40, and now the 686.  IT has always worked quite well for me.  Just make sure you use either the glock block or the trigger block that comes with the Kahr when carrying the double action autos.