Author Topic: the most serious question ever  (Read 1485 times)

Offline joshco84

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
the most serious question ever
« on: October 20, 2006, 07:24:39 PM »
how am i supposed to decide between marrying a girl i have been wanting to for a while and joining up? i cant hardly find a real (or civy job) right now and was debating the service before but i am now pose with the aforementioned question.  how is a guy to do this. on one hand i understand serving ones country and would feel very comfortable doing that, but,... i kinda like her
Smells like country, Tastes like rock and roll...... Want to find out more??? www.crosscanadianragweed.com  The all time greatest band ever.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: the most serious question ever
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 07:22:02 AM »
If you only "kinda like her" then DO NOT marry her. Go in the service, leave town or do whatever but don't marry her. Until such time as you are 100% certain you LOVE her and she LOVES you do not marry her.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline joshco84

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 03:15:07 PM »
thats what i meant by kind of like her, graybeard sorry if that was misconstrued (or however that is spelled)
Smells like country, Tastes like rock and roll...... Want to find out more??? www.crosscanadianragweed.com  The all time greatest band ever.

Offline hillbill

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 03:18:53 PM »
bottom line is, if she really loves yu, she will wait while yu make your contribution to your country and your education.while you are young is your chance to see the world and experience it on unc sams dime. if she is the one, yu will know within a month or two of your absence.good luk and if things dont work out with her just remember there are a million other fish in the sea.i was 40 before i found the girl i was most compatible with and could never imagine ever being with another.

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 11:38:24 PM »
Yep... she'll wait...

For what it's worth... I've been in the Air Force for over 19 years and I'll give advice for free...

In my experience, young marriages, either just before enlisting or just after enlisting just don't have a high chance of success.  Note that I didn't say they couldn't succeed.  Military life places myriad demands on your life that don't exist in most civilian jobs.  If you join now, regardless of service, you WILL deploy probably sooner than later.  For the Army and Marines, that is a given.  For the Air Force you will deploy but not as often (depending on career field and unit).  You may also be deployed and do Army/Marine jobs.  For the Navy, well, you joined a service that deploys all the time.  The Navy also has "sand sailors" down-range doing traditionally Army/Marine Corps jobs.  No matter which service you join you will find that to succeed you have to do more than one job.  You have your primary duties, additional duties as assigned, PT, exercises, deployments, tdy's, volunteer work, unit involvement, community involvement and off-duty education.  Then you get to go home to your wife and family...  Now, assuming you are not deployed, you will spend most of your waking hours away from your wife and in the company of your female compatriots.  Then you deploy with them or go TDY with them.  A lot of chances to screw up for you and your wife.  You may have the wisdom of Solomon and the patience of Job but that doesn't mean the girl you sit next to on shift for 3 months at a time won't tempt you or your neighbor won't tempt your wife while you are killing bad guys in Iraq.
     If you get married before enlisting, you will be a different person after basic and school.  You may change more than she will like.
I'd definitely wait until after you get out of AIT/tech school and then spend time talking about it.  You're priorities may change...  Unless you're girlfriend makes good money in a job that is "portable" then I'd wait two-three years at least to get married.  While my pay has increased dramatically in the past few years, the average E-1 to E-5 is still eligible for food stamps if they have kids. You won't get rich in the military but once you get settled, and learn to manage your finances then life can be pretty good.

I guess you want more information or advice... PM me... no sense in bogging everyone else's bandwidth down...

Good luck in whatever you choose,

no guns here

"I feared for my life!"

Offline Questor

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 03:53:10 AM »
A common question. When you're really ready to get married, you'll know and there will be no doubt. One of the prerequisites is being in reasonably good financial and fiscal shape, so that will provide a major clue.
Safety first

Swampman

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 03:56:04 AM »
I see no reason not to do both.  That's what I did.  If you can, join the USAF.  You'll live longer and it's the best branch for a family man.  Learn a trade while you're there.

Offline joshco84

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 12:35:54 PM »
well the air force is the best choice for me really because there is a base here in wichita, plus i have a cousin that was is in the air force and my current boss was in the airforce also so that is the way that i have been thinking

Swampman

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 12:54:36 PM »
I served 10 years with USAF Special Operations and my son is an officer flying F-15 Strike Eagles.  He has a wife and 2 children.  The field you select may mean more or less time away from home.  Think about that.  The USAF is a great place to better yourself.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 02:38:17 PM »
   Joshco;

Do your service first..as Swampman said, one does not necessarily rule out the other.
 Frankly however, I would suggest you put off the marriage for a year or so..engagement OK..just that a year's "breathing space" can clarify things for both of you very well.

Try that time of being seperated..and be sure that both are "willing to wait".

I don't know what your situation is right now, but with the experience and educational opportunities currently offered by the military, surely you will be a much more attractive employee prospect when you seek employment after discharge.

As I recall Witchita is home to some aircraft activity, so with a hitch in the AF...and choose your MOS (training) wisely...something like airframe repair (e.g.)...you may well be a very usable commodity by local firms.

Don't overlook the possibility of a military career either..

Best wishes...Ironglow
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline WmRoy

• A Real Regular
    • Gun Collectors Forum
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 08:16:22 PM »
I'm not a fan of early marriage............ by that I mean much under 30............... I wish I had been lucky enough to have gotten that advice when I was hot to trot and got married at 22............... oh well...............

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 12:20:25 AM »
Let's take this to a different level, somewhat above the advice to the lovelorn.
There are decisions in life which are more important than guns, cars, houses.
These decisions, if they cannot be made with a clear mind and, if, the end results of these decisons is clear, not guarenteed but, clear, should not be made until you can, in your ownself, say this is correct and I can live with this decision.
It is better, I think, to avoid such decisions rather than take a chance.
It does not seem to me that you have a plan or a goal.
Do some more critical thinking. There is not a need to rush to conclusions.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline tscott

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 01:55:02 AM »
40 + years ago I got drafted on my 19th birthday. I married the prom queen, rationale being lets have a life and some fun, before I get smoked in some fetid swamp in Southeast Asia. We had great kids, and I didn't die, but we were so opposite. I was miserable for years. The service and marriage was a bad mix for my youth. After the service it was even worse, because of our youth. Many years later I found the girl of my dreams. Years after that she presented us with 2 girls in my 50's. The down side is I will work forever in semi retirement at a gym or sporting goods to support. The upside is that things worked out, but that early marriage was a real tough stumbling block. The service? You could get killed. Something to take into serious consideration as well!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 03:23:05 AM »
Josh - I will follow Graybeard's advice on this one and suggest military service first, marriage later.  If you two are truly meant for each other then it will happen but at a young age, without a decent prospect of a job, either marriage or marriage and the service are killers and you stand a much larger chance of divorcing than staying married. 

Join up and see the world.  You're in Kansas - ok, they have USAF there but also US Army - Leavenworth may have a recruiting station.  In the AF you can get skill training that may pay off for you in civilian life.  If you look toward the Army understand that for every field soldier there are 10 others supporting him from the rear eschelons (that includes Personnel, Intelligence, Operations, Supply, Food Service, Vehicle/Aircraft Maintenance, and others).  Any of the branches of the military have a lot to offer and Josh, if you are way down there in Kansas, get the hay out and see the world before you settle yourself, or lock yourself down somewhere.  JMHO.  Mikey.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 05:12:25 AM »
I spent 24 years active duty, and another 26 years working for the Air Force ans a civilian.  I married young, and have experienced a fairly good life with my bride, but even so, I do not recommend this for everyone.  While the wages are much better today than when my wife and I got married ( $245. a month), they are still low in compairsome to the cost of living.  In my experience dealing with martial problems amoung the younger troops, money was generally the root cause for their problems.  Second was the inability of a young bride being able to adjust to a new place hundreds of miles away from her mother and family.  This is a very big problem today with deployments and time spent apart.  Often that makes one or the other stray, which generates additional problems.

Based on a few years of experience, I recommend delaying the marriage until after you have completed your military duty, or until after you achieve at least the grade of E-4 and are in a better position to provide for a wife.  Remember, there may be a base in your back yard, but that does not ensure your assignment to that base, the military assigns people based on the needs of the military, not the individual.

As someone else said, if it is love, she will wait, if not she will show her true colors and be with someone else before you come home on the first leave.

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2006, 11:01:24 AM »
Even though most of these guys don't have experience with the "NEW" military...they all seem to be right.

I've been in for a little over 16 years.  My current job has me teaching new Army recruits the technical aspect of their job.  I get to hear all of the stories about how the recruiters tell them the military will take care of their families.  Yet another bit of recruiter propganda spewed upon the uniformed.  It's hard Looking around at my peers, not a single one is on their first marriage.  We ALL have our "first wife" stories, and they all sound pretty much the same.

I also work with the Air Force and Marines in my field.  The Air Force is a little better off; it is indeed more "family oriented".  Keep this in mind though, you will miss out on a LOT if you are joining the military with plans of serving from a base close to home.  It's kind of like buying a new car, and never taking it out of your neighborhood.

If you are having a hard time choosing one or the other...or both, then you are not taking the choice seriously.  The cold, hard truth is YES, chances are you will be another statistic in the "failed marriage" catagory if you get married first.  And YES, you will also probably fall into this same catagory if you get married within the first year of service.

If you are serious in thinking you have to run to the military for a paycheck, then you have a whole other set of issues to deal with.  Do yourself, and your girl a favor - get yourself straight first.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2006, 02:11:55 PM »
   Josh;
  You have gotten some good, seasoned advice...obviously you can't appropriate all of it because some of it is contradictory.
  The fact is, we all have different experiences and these experiences shape our personalities
  You have heard some fellows say that early marriage is a loser, and often it is..but not without exception
 I married while I was in the Army  and only an E3 at the time.
     It wasn't easy, and I don't recommend it..but that is what I did.
    I married my sweetheart from home...she was 18 and I was just a month short of my 20th birthday.

Wow ! All those strikes against a successful marriage...In August we celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary .

Early marriage often doesn't work..but that is obviously, not a hard and fast rule. Although our parents married a bit later in life theirs were both life-long marriages.

A couple things I would like to point out...And they are not "graven in stone"..but are almost that sure..

1) It is said that "opposites attract"..but generally speaking, they don't stay together. I wouild say that when you choose that special girl..make sure that you are as similar as possible..similar families, similar values, similar faith, similar backgrounds, similar goals etc..
    Each and every way in which you and her differ..is another hurdle to onvercome on your road to wedded bliss.

2) Again..not ironclad..but when you date a girl, take a close look at her mother..chances are you are seeing your girl..20 or 25 years hence

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2006, 02:21:15 PM »
   Josh;
  You have gotten some good, seasoned advice...obviously you can't appropriate all of it because some of it is contradictory.
  The fact is, we all have different experiences and these experiences shape our personalities

You have heard some fellows say that early marriage is a loser, and often it is..but not without exception
 I married while I was in the Army  and only an E3 at the time.

It wasn't easy, and I don't recommend it..but that is what I did.

I married my sweetheart from home...she was 18 and I was just a month short of my 20th birthday.

Wow ! All those strikes against a successful marriage...In August we celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary .

Early marriage often doesn't work..but that is obviously, not a hard and fast rule. Although our parents married a bit later in life, theirs were both life-long marriages.

A couple things I would like to point out...And they are not "graven in stone"..but are almost that sure..

1) It is said that "opposites attract"..but generally speaking, they don't stay together.

I would say that when you choose that special girl..make sure that you are as similar as possible..similar families, similar values, similar faith, similar backgrounds, similar goals etc..

Each and every way in which you and her differ..is another hurdle to onvercome on your road to wedded bliss.

2) Again..not ironclad..but when you date a girl, take a close look at her mother..chances are you are seeing your girl..20 or 25 years hence, with much the same opinions, attitudes  etc.

..Still, the old adage says; " Marry in haste,..repent at your leisure"..so be sure before you do marry..

Offline joshco84

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 02:33:52 AM »
ok guys thanks for the replies this is exactly the info i have been looking for. i was just looking for advice from older guys that have been through mariage and the service at the same time.  and im not "running to the service for a check", its just that i have always thought about it, and right now is as good of time as any since mowing season is about done and i will be out of a job for the winter.

Offline prairiedog555

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 12:06:46 PM »
My advise is to follow your heart, if it is your fate for it to succeed, it will.  But to hedge your bet a little hold off on the kids untill it is a sure thing.

Best of Luck!!!!!!!

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2007, 12:31:40 PM »
Join the service.  Finish growing up (that's not intended as a gig). Have some fun. Its a big world out there, go see some of it.  Get an education and learn a trade.

I'll give you the short version: My son joined the Navy. They taught him how to operate and interpete all of these high dollar machines in a lab.  In his off time, he hacked out a few hours (which the navy paid for).  When he got out,(six years)  he had a degree in computer sciences and had a job waiting for him that started higher than what I made when I retired. He then married a girl with a Masters in international banking.  They are living the good life.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2007, 01:48:10 PM »
We have FT. Wainwright, and Eielson AFB here where we live.  My wife and I see and interact with soldiers daily.  Fairbanks is a Military town.  After each deployment we see young wives that have just been married leaving to go back home to Mama, or we see them out working and getting hit on by the soldiers still here.  It's hard for them, being alone their new husband that they really don't know yet being gone.  A lot don't make it till he gets back, they start divorce proceedings while he is still over there.  Many that do stay married till hubby get back, now has to get used to a person they don't know.  Also the stress of war is not easy on the returning men, that aggravites the situation.  The divorce rate gets another sharp increase.  Things happen, stress, uncertainty, moral issues, health issues, even death.  Sometimes it's better to wait.  If she does not wait she was not worth it anyway.

Bad situtaion that I see too much of, young couple get married, then he leaves.  Two weeks later she discovers she is pregnate.  She carries, and has the baby while he is gone.  She resents the fact he was not there to help or understand what she is going through.  She is having to deal with army doctors, and services that are alien to her.  She grows to resent the military.  Then he comes home.  They really don't know each other, she has changed, she is no longer the young innocent thing he married and left behind.  He is also changed, he is not the soft caring person she married.  He is harder now, less understanding, less forgiving, and with a quicker temper that he has a hard time controling.  They start arguing more often, and more severe, then one night one of them crosses the line and gets violent.  If he hits her in aggression or defense, and it gets reported, his carreer is over.  She gets a divorce and goes home to Mama.  He is discharged and sent packing.  And it's hard to get a job with an other-than- honorable discharge. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2007, 02:28:53 PM »
If he hits her in aggression or defense, and it gets reported, his carreer is over.  She gets a divorce and goes home to Mama.  He is discharged and sent packing.  And it's hard to get a job with an other-than- honorable discharge. 

It's so common now..that it doesn't happen like this much anymore, unless there is severe permanant injury or death.  Commanders are doing WAY TOO MUCH too keep any and everybody in now-a-days.  We've are turning into an army of warm bodies rather than professional soldiers.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2007, 11:06:22 PM »
hardertr:  My wife works for JAG, and that is not what she is telling me.  If a soldier strikes his wife he is disqualified from handling a weapon, therefore he cannot do his job.  He is sent packing.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2007, 01:43:29 AM »
hardertr:  My wife works for JAG, and that is not what she is telling me.  If a soldier strikes his wife he is disqualified from handling a weapon, therefore he cannot do his job.  He is sent packing.

Reminds me of the lyrics behind the song Alice's Resturant.......

"So you want to know if I'm moral enough to go kill"........or something along those lines.......

Seems to me, a fellow who beats other people would be the perfect guy to send to Bagdad...
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2007, 01:56:28 AM »
   Being single in the military can be ALOT of fun.  ;D Oh the times at Ft. Bliss going to juarez on the weekends.  ;D But its up to you. If she is the right one, a good one grab her. If you have any doughts whatsoever lose the excess baggage. Just remember this the good ones are very rare and are usually taken. Most of them are still on the market for a reason.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2007, 05:11:58 AM »
I'll answer from the opposite side of the discussion.  I'm the guy that let the girl talk him into NOT enlisting.  Let's stay together, blah blah blah.  Broke up two years later, at least we hadn't gotten married yet.  Upside, I dated her best friend Sarah (they didn't stay friends for long) for a while, had a GOOD time.  We broke up, dated Sarah's new best friend Sheila (yeah, they didn't stay friends either), met the best girl ever, got married, we have 3 wonderful boys, and I have the best home life I could imagine. 

Morale of the story, I sometimes still wish I had enlisted to get the view of the rest of the world, but it worked out for me in the end, and I wouldn't change it for anything. 

2nd morale of the story, I guess I like to make best friends hate each other???   ::)

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2007, 12:43:17 PM »
Mohammad said:  "Women are numerous and replaciable, don't become overly fond of one". 

Just threw that in for the sake of argument.  I know a lot of men here in the states that feel that way also. 

I also did at one time.  Then I met HER!!!!!!  The one that makes me 10ft tall with a smile, and puts me on my knees with a frown.  We have been married for 28 years now, can't see it any other way.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2007, 05:32:11 AM »

ACTUALLY...the way "we" get around that is to not get JAG involved if at all possible.  The crime has to be a felony or misdemeanor CIVIL conviction or special/general court-martial.  Most domestic violence cases within the military are turned over to local commanders...which give summarised courts-martial (Article 15s, Captains masts etc) to keep it from affecting the troops ability to carry a weapon.  IF IT DOES end up as a civil conviction or general court-martial, the troop is no longer allowed to carry small arms....but CAN still work on a weapons crew (tank, artillary, aircraft), but is not allowed to re-enlist when the time comes.

Who said we don't play politics in the military??   ;)

http://www.dod.mil/vwac/docs/lautenberg.ppt#304,12,Offender/Victim relationship