Author Topic: red dot  (Read 351 times)

Offline 45/70fan

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
red dot
« on: October 23, 2006, 05:25:33 AM »
I'm thinking of taking the scope off my 45-70 and going to a red dot. Does anybody use these? Can they handle the recoil of the hotter loads?

Offline eskimo36

• Trade Count: (156)
    • Adventure Rider
Re: red dot
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 05:45:13 AM »
Some can and some can't handle the recoil.  There is some aspect of price versus durability/reliability.  As long as you buy from a reputable maker,  you should be alright. Most will fix or replace if it quits.  Don't buy the $30 dollar one and get mad when it quits. I am not saying the $30 dollar ones won't work on the 45-70 but they all won't. You might get lucky and get a good one if you go the inexpensive route. I have a $30 redhead red dot on a single shot 12 and it has never had any problems but I have been in the return store at Bas Pro in Springfield and they have a basket full of refurbished red dots that have been returned for repair. I like the eye relief and the ability to mount it as far forwad as I want to mount it. I have a tasco red dot on a 357 that I have never had any problems with either.  On both of these I use the top of the dot as the aiming point to be as precise as I can.
"one shot is usually enough"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 05:51:25 AM »
I had a Simmons Red Dot (about $28.00) mounted on an H&R 12 gauge tracker I that I drilled and tapped for a scope rail and it never gave me a problem. That same red dot is now mounted on another gun and stills works fine....<><.... :) 
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 06:50:35 AM »
I had a Tasco AccuDot on my 45-70 ,but I found that at 50 yds it covered the entire 5in. bull on the target I was using..The site handled the recoil of the stiff loads I was had made up just fine but it was limiting my effective range. At 100yds it would have covered the entire vital area on a med. size deer, so I went back to a scope.The red dot does work great on a slug gun tho.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"