Author Topic: Deer Season Soon!  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Bldr Bob

• Trade Count: (0)
Deer Season Soon!
« on: October 23, 2006, 10:03:08 AM »
Ok 12 more days.  How antsy is everyone getting?  I have already started packing.  Have a new gun this year and had it all sighted in until my dog knocked it over last night so now I think I have to double check it at the range (sure wish I had one of those lazer bore sighters).  Anyways just thought I would start a topic that everyone could vent their anxiousness on.

Offline HuntingGuy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Deer Season Soon!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 10:59:36 AM »
I'm freakin out!!  I'm not only getting antsy but gettin butterflies in my stomouch about the possiblities this year and what will happen.. I've got all my supplies and clothing, but I need to figure out how to organize them.. Seems like I lose 50-60 bucks worth of stuff each year because of sloppy organization.. I plan on getting my clothes washed and hung tonight.... Will probably put them in a big duffle bag with my boots and some fresh earth wafers.. We are taking off next Friday morning- wish there was snow, but it aint lookin' good! - just like last year.  The year before or maybe it was the one before that, I remember there being a good deal of snow.  It always helps to see if they are moving.. which you can't really tell from brush for the most part / and snow makes tracking a hell of a lot easier.

Anyways, I wish everyone the best of luck this year.. Spend as much time in the stand as you can, I came to the conclusion I won't shoot the buck I'm looking for inside the trailor watching the Vikes play ball  ;D  We only get 9 days for this.. We've got 356 other days out of the year to sit around and do nothing.. Bare with the cold, stay in the stand, stay quiet, and one of these years we will all get a nice B&C buck.  I wanna see pictures posted... and none from Google Images, either!!  ::) ;) Hold out for the nice buck.. One of these times it will pay off.

Be safe, be fair, and be quiet.

My Best-
HuntingGuy
Hunting in Minnesota Moderator

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline bearfat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • "Nothin but giant rats with stubby little tails"
    • Deer/Bear hunting Northern Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 04:50:21 PM »
I ain't going up until the 2nd week. I'm sick of the heat. Last year I had to make a mad dash to Redwing MN from up north to use a particular meat processor. By the time I got to the Twin Cities it was 60 degrees and pouring rain. I could not even hang the meat in my own back yard overnight. I said that was the last time.

And of course this year the temps look good but my vacation week is locked in and nothing I can do. I am hearing about a warm up coming by the opener though?

I've seen 6 inches of snow on the ground and pouring rain. Try and move an ATV around in that stuff. All it is is white mud!

Good luck on the opener boys...I'll be up the second week. Save a couple bucks for me.
bearfats cabin:    http://buckmountainchateau.com/

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 04:51:57 AM »
I don't know about a warm front.. I'm looking at the extended forecast for the 1st of November, it's looking like mid-20's to low-30's where we are hunting.  BF, I'll save ya a buck.. You can shoot whatever you want after I shoot my B&C  ;D ;)
HuntingGuy

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline Bldr Bob

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 05:04:12 AM »
I will be leaving next Thursday and coming home the following Saturday.  I will be happy with a couple of cloudy calm days this year.  Last year it was clear at night and windy most of the time we were up.  So of course the dear were not moving during the day which made for a difficult hunt.  I have also been checking the extended forecast for our area and it looks like 20's to 30's.  It would be nice to have the swamps frozen so we can explore more area, but that hardly ever happens.
BF, it seemed like 2nd week was the time to be out last year the wind calmed down and the rut seemed to be more active the 2nd week.  The warm weather does stink though, we usually have to bring ours into the local meat locker to keep them from spoiling when it is really warm.

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 12:59:19 PM »
I'll be leaving next Thursday (2nd) and returning Sunday, 12th.  Won't have a computer until the 12th.  Hopefully we will all have some stories and pictures.
HuntingGuy

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 05:17:05 AM »
Sat, Nov. 4th:  Cloudy--  Low 27 Deg.  High 39 Deg.

I smell big bucks, gentleman.   ;D
HuntingGuy

Offline Bldr Bob

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 06:51:34 AM »
You got to love that 10 day forecast from the Weather Channel.  It's not always acurate but at least it gives you something to look foreward to.  The buck fever has hit me bad.

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 06:43:46 PM »
Yep -

I can tell the season is appoaching by the increase in telephone calls from my brother.  How much chili are you making?  You're not going to make it too hot?  Which gun are you going to use?  What time do you think you'll be in?  When are you going back?  Are you thinking of any management tags?  Wait 'till you see Scott's new stand.  I picked up a block of limburger. Heard anything from JD?  Etc. 
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline Bldr Bob

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 08:56:05 AM »
Ok last stretch of work today and tomorrow and then I am out of here.  Things are coming together, just stopped and picked up our anual batch of spaghetti sauce from my uncles resturant.  Little things like that let you know it is getting really close.  I will probably do my usual thing and say I am working a full day tomorrow and sneak out about 1:00, when it gets that close and the nerves are going full force what good am I at work anyways.  Good luck fellas!  I hope everyone has a safe and successfull hunt!

Offline Friar_Tuck

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 05:32:29 PM »
Well, 2 more sleeps and I am out of here!
For the first time in my life, I have the whole two week rifle season off from work.
Got the shootin lanes all cleared this year, and stands in all the places we have wanted them over the years.
Never been set up so well ahead of time.
Now if a pack of wolves doesn't move in, we will be fine.
Stay safe guys.
Just got back from an ambulance run to pick up someone who fell out of a tree tonight, hanging a stand.
He will be ok, but he will not be hunting soon.
Enjoy!
Jim

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 06:09:18 PM »
Yep, everyone be safe!  Jim, are you an EMT or a Paramedic?  I'm going to school for Law Enforcement, going to take the EMT course.
HuntingGuy

Offline Friar_Tuck

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 08:12:33 PM »
EMT-B
The EMT course will serve you well in that line of work.
Jim

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 05:14:23 AM »
Sounds good, Jim.  I had the option of the First Responder class or EMT, but I'm sure the EMT certification will come in handy.  Anyways, good luck this weekend.
HuntingGuy