Author Topic: Help picking new hog/deer slug gun  (Read 3112 times)

Offline navyredneck

• Trade Count: (1)
Help picking new hog/deer slug gun
« on: October 24, 2006, 01:25:26 PM »
I currently have an USH with Simmons shotgun scope on weaver mounts which I love (have killed a 70 lb boar, 137 lb sow, and a 125 lb sow this year so far).  Only problem is the scope keeps 'drifting'.  I'm gonna assume that it's my fault and not of the scope.  I have to climb in and out of a treestand and I think the scope has been banging the stand (just by swinging back and forth while I'm climbing).  Once the scope bumped my truck as well when I was in a hurry to get into the woods.  Anyway twice I have lost game because the gun was shooting off.  I rezeroed it and it did awesome for another hunt or so and now I think it's off again.

I mounted the scope using nail polish on all the screws and I torqued everything down well.

I thought of just buying a boresighter and resighting in the gun before every hunt but I can't justify spending 70 bucks.  I currently use coppersolids as my ammo and I also don't want to spend 20 bucks sighting in the gun every week (7.50 range fee plus a box of ammo).

Honestly, since all my shots are 40 yards max due to the thick undergrowth, I'd like to get another gun or buy a rifled barrel for my mossberg pump.  Only thing about the pump is that it's a turkey gun and the kick is incredilble.

I looked at the NEF tracker II which would be reasonable I think because of the fixed sight (HUGE plus), rifled barrel but once again, it's light.  What would be even better would be if I could find a used rifled shotgun that was beat up since I'm gonna use this thing in the deep woods, climbing in and out of a treestand and stuff.

So what do you think?

1.  $135 for slug barrel with fixed sights for my 835.  Benefit is multiple shots but at heavy recoil and reduced accuracy which is fine because of short distance

2.  $150 for NEF tracker with fixed sights.  Benefit is another gun with heavy recoil but good accuracy and easy to clean

any other suggestions?

Swampman

Re: Help picking new hog/deer slug gun
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 02:28:00 PM »
I have several NEFs and an 835.  My vote goes to the NEF tracker or an NEF with a quality scope.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 11:44:25 PM »
How about just keeping the USH and having a Williams WGRS rear mount and a front sight mounted on it.  You could put a Peeper on it and that would solve the problem of the scope and you would be able to continue using IMHO the most accurate slug gun you will find anywhere.  At 40 yards, you won't find a better setup for hunting out of a stand.

Just my 2 cents!

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 01:12:17 AM »
Or get some better/newer rings!!!

What is the set up you have now. It should not be moving, there is a problem and I am going to guess its with your rings. You mention nail polish on the screws. Have you had them loosen up on you?

Tell us some more...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 02:40:03 AM »
Since your shots are about 40 yards (out to 60-70 would be ok also) I say get a 12 or 20 gauge Tracker I barrel from NEF and shoot regular foster style slugs, (my vote is for 2 3/4" Brennekes, some love the Buckhammers). The barrel is a smoothbore with rifle sights, the slugs are MUCH cheaper (sometimes on sale for as low as $1.99 a box!!) and at 40 yards (and more) you should be able to keep all your shots within 2-3" or less. If you get the 20 gauge you should have no problem having a gunsmith drill and tap it for a scope or red dot if you decide to....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 02:56:24 PM »
I,m with MSP on this one. Get a Tracker 1 barrel, and your ready for both. At the ranges your shooting ,the old style foster slug has all the accuracy and power you,ll need for any hog, or deer.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline navyredneck

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 03:14:56 PM »
My background is that before this year I had never hunted and I didn't have any guns.  I decided I wanted to deer hunt so based on this website and others, I bought an USH and simmons scope and weaver medium mounts.  I did find and buy some mounts with rifle sights above the scope which may give me a way out here.  I would still need to sight in the rifle sights (already wasted $40 of copper solid ammo this year sighting the durn gun in).

Is it possible that the scope can be off but the rifle sights above the scope (on same mount) not be affected?

I didn't realize that all my shots would be so close but all of my current stand locations are in dense underbrush where my fartherest shot is 40 yards.  I do need to be able to shoot a heavy slug as the hogs that I'm now shooting have thick hides and skulls.  The sow I shot and killed Monday night required 2 rounds of #1 buck to the head at pont blank range.  (She charged me after round one and this was after a slug and buckshot to her head).  Are fosters and buckhammers enough for this?  The only sure way I've been able to consistently drop these hogs has been shots to the brain.  I've had them run with slugs in their shoulders, neck area, etc.

I don't want to spend a lot of money and I don't want a super-nice gun that I can't take into the swamp with me.  I would love to find a cheaper source of good ammo.  Currently looking at dixie slugs which require a rifled barrel unless I try their Tri-ball ammo.  That would bring my cost down to $2 per shot (unlike $3 with copper solids).

gun
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r281/genrock01/USH/100_2232.jpg

better shot of scope mount
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r281/genrock01/USH/100_2233.jpg

Oh, and I used nail polish to try and permanently mount the screws to prevent them from working loose (like lock tight but cheaper)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 03:43:07 PM »
Dixie Slugs also make a fantastic slug for smoothbores!!! Try it and you will be amazed at the penetration. Otherwise shoot a Brenneke slug out of the smoothbore barrel and you will be happy....<><.... :)

"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline LEO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 03:00:57 AM »
You didn't mention which Simmons scope you bought but I would look at that before I started changing much else if I was sure my rings were tight and the scope wasn't moving in the rings.  Unless you are really hitting the gun hard, just bumping it on the truck/treestand shouldn't affect your zero.  If the Simmons scope is one of the low end models they are either really good or really bad from scope to scope with very little middle ground.  What I mean is you will either never have a problem out of it or you will have nothing but problems out of it.  The up side of this is that Simmons customer service is good and they will make it right   A lot of words to say if you are satisfied with the performance of the gun look at the scope.

Offline navyredneck

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 12:17:06 PM »
It's a Simmons pro-diamond shotgun 4x32 scope.  How do I verify that it's the gun and not me bumping it?  I always hate it when I blame someone else and then they prove that it's me...

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 04:54:33 PM »
navyredneck

Another op to look at is the Tracker 2 and add lead shot to the butt stock , this well drop recoil alot plus give you open sights to work with at such close ranges .
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 02:57:58 PM »
OK,
  When you mounted the scope, did you use the friction tape that the millet rings provided?  It is sometimes necessary for these rings. As a rule this is not necessary but its sometimes needed with these rings that's why the company includes them with it.

I am not a fan of the sites mounted ON THE scope rings. They are so close together its like your shooting a 6" barreled pistol!!!  I seriously doubt you will ever be able to AFFORD  ::) to get them sighted it!!  (An attempt at humor, no offence meant)

I have shot to many hogs to count. Most with a pistol and shotgun. many with a shotgun defensively when others wounded them and they got "ornery". Let me assure you, there isn't a hog on gods green earth that has a skull tough enough to withstand a slug between the eyes.

Two come to mind, one was about 450lbs and the other closer to 300. Three of us where walking thru a swampy area looking for these particular hogs. My buddie HAPPENED to see them lying in wait up the trail about 50yrds ahead. As hard as I looked I could not see them. I had my 18" barreled H&R with peep sights and regular Rem Slugger 2 3/4" slugs. My buddie had a 30-30 with a side mounted scope. We cautiously walked forward. At about 40 yrds the big one jumped up and charged, but stopped at about 25 yards and huffed. Turned and walked back to the second one who remained on the ground. As he reached the other hog, he turned and looked at us and charged again. this time he didnt stop at 25 yrds. I hit him between the eyes at about 10 yards and he skidded to a halt mear feet in front of me. My one buddie was nothing but feet and elbows tearing down the trail in the opposite direction. (He had no gun) My other buddie was beside me. He said, wow tha...but before he could say any more, the second hog jumped up and charged. I had reloaded and was ready but this one was to be my buddies. This part was like slow motion. My buddie jumped off the trail and to a tree for a rest. All I could hear was "I CANNOT SEE HIM, I have NO SHOT" I shoot and drop the pig right on top of his partner!! Both shot thru the head dead on their feet!!  I have pictures but not digital.....I'll see if I can have some files made...

Don't worry about slugs..buck shot now that is a different matter. Buck shot to the head will likely give mixed results. I would not expect it to be 100% reliable.

Good luck,
 congrats on the pork!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 03:00:05 PM »
I still suggest for what your desires and needs are that you try a Tracker I (smoothbore). The last I heard both the 12 and 20 gauge barrels were still available from the factory through the barrel accessory program (I bought my 20 gauge Tracker I barrel for $53 plus shipping and fitting). They are great, much cheaper to shoot than sabots in rifled barrels, and the Tracker I barrels come with rifle sights. The Tracker II's are great and the USH's have superb accuracy to longer ranges but are much heavier to carry all day still hunting. I guess it all depends on the length of your shots, for out to 70 yards or so the Tracker I's are the ticket, for out further but a gun you can carry all day get a Tracker II. For long range (100 yards plus) from a stand get a USH. These guns are GREAT!!! There is something for everyone!!....<><.... :)

Just read the post above to see if a cheaper foster style slug from a Tracker I or Pardner will drop a hog!!! I suggest you go with the smoothbore, use Brenneke or Buckhammer slugs and if you really want penetration and a pile driver get some Dixie Slugs, they are great. If you have a smoothbore be sure you get the Dixie Slugs made for a smoothbore....<><.... :)

Another option is just get a smoothbore (shots are only 40 yards max as you said) slug barrel with rifle sights for your Mossberg. You should be able to get a used one cheaply and by shooting 2 3/4" Brenneke slugs the recoil will be less than full turkey loads. It's the ammo that gives the kick, not the fact that it's a Turkey gun, and believe my there is no deer around that needs a 3" Magnum slug at 40 yards!!!  Proper slug placement is more important than power and always has been....<><.... :)

check these out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOSSBERG-500-Ported-Slug-Barrel-Rifle-Sights-Blue-NR_W0QQitemZ290042062093QQihZ019QQcategoryZ73955QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mossberg-500-18-5-Smoothbore-slug-barrel_W0QQitemZ280040945012QQihZ018QQcategoryZ73955QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 03:11:28 PM »
 ::) ::)I told my story but didnt really answer your question....sorry.

A handy with a rifled barrel would be great for a combo stand/still hunting gun. I agree with everyone else in that a Tracker would work best as its got sites.

For a strictly stand gun, its hands down, the USH all the way!!! The auccaracy of this gun is the biggest reason, you could easily make eye ball shots if you where so inclined!!!

For a strictly defensive shotgun, it would be a different story. Even though I used a SS in my little story I will recomend a long time favorite..the Remington 870. Its fast and a second,third fourth and fifth shot is split seconds away.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline navyredneck

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 05:39:29 AM »
To all, thanks for the responses so far.

To answer cwlongshot, yes, I used the friction tape provided with the scope and I rechecked all the screws.  They are all tight.

I called all the gun shops around here and one has a Tracker II rifled slug gun with rifle sights for $200 new.  No other stores have smootbores with rifled sights. That would put me back in my stand with a shotgun that I can trust while I work on the USH.  As soon as deer season ends I'm also going to look into buying an extra barrel.  Looking at the website there are several barrels to choose from.  Which one is the right barrel?  They have 24", 28", and 32" barrels with full or modified chokes.  Which one is better for strictly shooting the cheaper slugs?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2006, 05:46:42 AM »
The best one for shooting foster style slugs is the Tarcker I barrel with rifle sights. They are NOT listed on the website but the last I heard they still have some in stock in both 12 and 20 gauge. As I said I have a 12 gauge and bought a 20 gauge Tracker I barrel from the for $53 plus shipping and fitting. Call customer service during the week to check and get the part numbers. Good Luck. You might even post a WTB (want to buy) in the classifieds for one and fit it yourself, it's not difficult and it might fit just fine the way you get it. If you do use a regular Pardner barrel my vote would be for a modified choke....<><..... :)

Offline navyredneck

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2006, 04:44:29 PM »
So I took only my pump gun (with 00 3" magnum buck) to deer hunt tonight.  And guess what...  Deer (two of them) walk out about 20 minutes after sunset.  Of course I'm thinking that had I had my nice Simmons scope (which gathers light really well) I would have been able to see well enough to shoot.  With my current sights I couldn't see well enough to make a clean, legal shot.  I did clearly make out a big deer with a smaller deer in front so I didn't shoot and I let them walk.

Someone else told me today that they've dropped guns on their scopes and not had the zero shift.  Maybe it is a scope problem...  Maybe I should just spend my money on a nice Leupold shotgun scope?  I love my USH and it has allowed me to kill 3 fairly large hogs this year...

I hate to be wishy washy but I really don't want to leave one problem (bad scope) and get another one (can't make late shots because no scope).  I've never had a hog come out late at night but it always seems that deer wait until that 15 - 25 mins after sunset to start moving around.  Honestly it seems that I need to buy a hog gun (rifle sights that can get banged around) and a nice scope for the USH that I only use for deer.  Maybe I can talk my wife into spending $400 instead of the $200 I'm currently working on...

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2006, 01:55:35 AM »
I had litteraly beat the heck out of the cheap scope on my 870 and it has never shifted zero. Of the options  discussed the plan you mentioned above sounds best. Buy a good scope and have a smith mount it and bore sight it. It wont cost much and will be done right. If you buy a leupold scope from my favorite gun shop they do this for free. Then if your shots on hogs are really that short. go to the pawn shop and buy the cheapest most beat up pardner they have for $50.00. Make sure that it's new enough to send back for the tracker 1 barrel when your season is out.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline navyredneck

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2006, 06:53:43 AM »
So in the interest of cheap I'd like to keep my medium Millet rings (given that I can get the screws loose).  Which Leupold scope will be best for me?  I need light gathering more than anything so I'm thinking either the

VX-1 2-7x33
VX-1 3-9x40

Leupold website say they both can be used with medium rings.  Any advice on which scope?  I really liked the fixed 4 power but I need light gathering.  In that case I'd think the 40 would be better but I'm not a scope expert.

Offline Big Burtha

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2006, 02:25:28 PM »
I would get the NEF Tracker II slug gun SB1 in 20 gauge. They are great at 80 + yards with open adjustable rifle sites on them. You would use Remingtons Copper Solid Hollow Points , 3" or 2 3/4" shells. Good luck. Dan.

Offline Big Burtha

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2006, 02:27:48 PM »
I would get the NEF Tracker II slug gun SB1 in 20 gauge. They are great at 80 + yards with open adjustable rifle sites on them. You would use Remingtons Copper Solid Hollow Points , 3" or 2 3/4" shells. Good luck. Dan.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2006, 03:21:42 PM »
because of the following statement in your original post/question/inquiry, "since all my shots are 40 yards max due to the thick undergrowth" I would stick with a Tracker I barrel in 12 or 20 gauge, the 12 would make Dixie's products more available but the 12 would be more difficult to get a gunsmith to mount a scope rail on (it CAN be done, I have one). The 20 will be easier to have drilled and tapped for a scope mount and it's a simple matter to get Brenneke slugs for it, and they are MUCH less expensive than the overpriced sabots, which don't need anyway since you are not shooting over 100 yards. I would suggest you use either Brenneke or Dixie slugs or Dixie's excellent Tri-ball load, depending on what and where you were hunting. Brenneke or Tri-ball for deer and either Brenneke or better still, Dixie slugs for really big hogs, but don't discount thier Tri-ball load for hogs either, it's not just another buckshot load!!!....<><.... :)