Author Topic: 28 ga or 410 for first kids gun?  (Read 693 times)

Offline 35Rem

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
    • Remington Model 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles
28 ga or 410 for first kids gun?
« on: October 25, 2006, 04:45:24 AM »
Well, which one, and why?

Looking at the youth gun by NEF.  9 year old boy needs a first gun.  Is the 28 too much gun?

Does onyone make any larger game loads in the 28 yet?  like slugs or buckshot?

Thanks.
Remington Model 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles
http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/
Vintage Semiauto Rifles
http://vintagesemiautorifle.proboards105.com/index.cgi

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: 28 ga or 410 for first kids gun?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 08:50:03 AM »
I would go with the 28. I bought my granddaughter a 410 and i am not at all pleased with it's killing ability on squirells. I know some people will not agree with this but that is my opinion. Bought a 20ga. for my grandson and man does that thing ever kick. Go with the 28ga.
bobg

Offline BrianM

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 10:38:59 AM »
I would lean towars the 28 too . Better patterns , more shot in the pattern . You can get 3/4 or 1 oz loads . I use a 28 quite often wile training dogs and like it a lot . The 410 is more of an "expert" gun with it's small patterns and shot charges . It's just harder to connect with a 410 .
  Another option if funds allow would be to look for a gas operated semi auto 20 ga . You can still teach a youngster one shot at a time (just put one shell in the gun)and the recoil will be less . My daughter is shooting a Charles Daly youth model 20 ga and she shoots it real well . There are plenty of loads for the 20 ga too .
   So to answer your question . Of the choices you listed , I would pick the 28 . If I was going to buy a gun for a youngster , I'd probably try to get a semi auto 20 ga for the versitility . That Charles Daly was pretty reasonable too , I think around $275 .
 Good luck with your decision .

Offline jpsmith1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 11:02:30 AM »
I agree with the 20 gauge being a kicker.  I had a 10 gauge and would shoot a round of sporting clays with it before I shot 5 rounds out of a 20 gauge single shot.

I'm reluctant to suggest either bore for a kids gun, though.  I remember starting out and having enough trouble hitting with a 12 gauge, I'd have hated to be saddled with a smaller bore gun.  I like the idea of a youth model 20 gauge gas operated or even a youth model pump.  It should have enough weight to soak up a pounding without handicapping your son. 
Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....

Offline lefty red

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 12:35:42 PM »
I would go with a 28ga also.

LEFTY Jr has a Topper 48 in 28ga waiting for him.

If you reload, then there is some great low recoil loads around for the 20ga with reduced load wads.

LEFTY
I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

I ain't never been lost in my life, been a might confused for a month or so.....

Pilgram, are you sure you know how to skin grizzer bear.....

Don't run little squirrel, you'll only die tired....

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 01:05:39 PM »
870 20 ga, 410 is way too small and is frustrating for beginners with it's small pattern and low killing power.  28 ga is hard to find shells for and is still fairly small.  A standard pump or auto in 20 ga doesn't kick that much, if recoil problems persist get an old 1100.

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 09:59:35 PM »
Gee guys i would have said the 20ga. also but that is not what was asked. I bought my granddaughter and old western auto 20ga. It is in very good condition and i now use the 410. I'm still not pleased with it but damn i'm going to make it work.
bobg