Author Topic: lyman 36 cal revolver?  (Read 1201 times)

Offline duke21

• Trade Count: (0)
lyman 36 cal revolver?
« on: October 26, 2006, 06:34:39 PM »

???

any of you hear of a Lyman brand 36cal revolver.   looks like a remington 1858 with the top strap.   i have been looking for a cap and ball for small game hunting and plinking.   I would really love a ruger old army but 44 cal is a bit overkill i think.   Not many new guns around here unless it is a traditions colt style in 44 cal.   the lyman is blued steel.   very good condtion, doesnt appear to be fired much at all. tight cyclinder with no play.  tight everywhere.  hardly a scratch on it.    asking 199 for it.   he offered it to me at 175 without tax.   this guy is usually a bit high on his guns,   what do you think.    i belive it said made in italy.    do you know who made it and would it be worth it.

many thanks

duke21

Offline duke21

Re: lyman 36 cal revolver?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 04:48:54 PM »
 ???

common guys,  you are making me feel like any outsider or alien or something.   i need some good old fashioned advice or opinions here,   money is tight and i dont want to buy the wrong thing or a piece of junk.   i went and looked at a 36 cal 1851 today and it was very clean, not quite as nice as the remy , but clean.   not being used to the open top revolvers, i found it didnt take much push on the wedge to get the cyclinder to jam.   that is probably my biggest concern,  fumbling around with the barrel getting too tight against the cylinder.   anyhow, price was 125 bucks.   i called back the first guy, the gun was still there and he said it would let me have it for 150.   so now i am getting a bit under price of new ones like i think it should be.  which way would you go?    then to top it all of, a friend i met months ago called and said he had a couple NIb ruger old armies , blued with adjustable sites for 300 a piece.    Gee , wish i had some extra cash right now!!!  too many decisions and my blonde hair is causing my mind to lock up.   Please help

duke21

Offline duke21

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 04:51:42 PM »
 ???

common guys,  you are making me feel like any outsider or alien or something.   i need some good old fashioned advice or opinions here,   money is tight and i dont want to buy the wrong thing or a piece of junk.   i went and looked at a 36 cal 1851 today and it was very clean, not quite as nice as the remy , but clean.   not being used to the open top revolvers, i found it didnt take much push on the wedge to get the cyclinder to jam.   that is probably my biggest concern,  fumbling around with the barrel getting too tight against the cylinder.   anyhow, price was 125 bucks.   i called back the first guy, the gun was still there and he said it would let me have it for 150.   so now i am getting a bit under price of new ones like i think it should be.  which way would you go?    then to top it all of, a friend i met months ago called and said he had a couple NIb ruger old armies , blued with adjustable sites for 300 a piece.    Gee , wish i had some extra cash right now!!!  too many decisions and my blonde hair is causing my mind to lock up.   Please help

duke21

Offline PeashooterJoe

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 05:16:30 PM »
I've got one and love it, well worth the money. Accurate no jams, it is a smaller frame which I love, have small hands. I own both colt and Remington 58's and the .36 lyman Remington is my favorite toting pistol for yard and woods walking. If I ever run across another I would without a doubt buy it. Good Luck...

Offline duke21

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 03:23:36 PM »
peashooter,

if things go right , supposed to pick it up tommorrow.   The only thing i did not like about the gun was that the hammer did not go down into the safety notches on the cylinder as deep as i would like.  It seems to barely catch the notch and with slight pressure you can turn the cylinder.    Now this is compared to an ROA that i looked at yesterday.   When the hammer was in the safety notch,   IT WAS IN THE SAFETY NOTCH.    There was no doubt on the ruger.   I am trying to figure out a way to cough up the money on both guns.   This may require some magic.   anyway,  either way on the lyman,  i will let you know if i get it,  if not i will give you the shops contact and maybe you can get it.

duke21

Offline Sir Charles deMoutonBlack

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 03:53:30 PM »
Duke;  I've heard tell that the originals had more substantial safety notches than the repros.  Don't trust any safety, not even the one between your ears.  If you are carrying, ALWAYS hammerdown on an empty chamber.