Author Topic: Using a Bead sight to slug hunt ???  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Using a Bead sight to slug hunt ???
« on: October 28, 2006, 02:52:57 AM »
How do YOU compensate for windage when using only a Bead sight to slug hunt?  I know some have suggested using a notch or file mark on the center of the receiver as an index.  Does this really work?  Are there better methods?  How do you do it?

cookieman
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Using a Bead sight to slug hunt ???
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 03:11:18 AM »
Texas Windage, just aim right or left of the target, the same as holding over for a long shot....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 12:34:24 PM »
Only shot a few out of the Bead barrel 12ga at the range today.  I will need more practice to get proficient at slug shooting with a bead sight.  But, I got the Tracker I 20ga all dialed in and she's Dead On at 50 yards.  So, I am good to go for next week's opener.
cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 01:01:21 AM »
With a regular shotgun barrel. i am talking about a "bird shot" barrel with a bead site. If it didn't shoot to the point of aim I just bent it until it did. Usually it will improve your wing shooting as well.

When I was a tyke and dad was teaching me to wing shoot. i had a terrible problem with right to left shots but at the same time was KILLER on left to right. We would shoot and shoot ans shoot. even he noticed he couldn't "powder" clays but broke them better than I did. around that same time, I became old enough to carry my own gun for deer and dad liked me using the shot gun better than a rifle so my 20ga was it. We went to the range and found no matter the slug, the gun shot about 6" to the left. He stuck it in the crook of a tree and "bent" it. After doing this a dozen or so times he had me shooting right to the point of aim.

OBVIOUSLY you need to do this with care or you will kink the barrel ruining it.

Later on I speculated that bent barrel,  was the reason for my inability to hit thrown clays we tried it and I (and he) was much better!!

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 04:51:52 PM »
seen a old man use the traler hitch hole for bending a shotgun barrel once.........not for me.....i would buy some sights that fit on the barrel.......cant remember who made them but were plastic and held on with a screw.....front fixed and rear adjustable this was 10 years ago they were like 6 bucks back then......id look at some people who make sights online to see if something like that is still made........the sights didnt interfer with shotgunning dove,so i keep on all the time......jb

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 04:56:04 PM »
I agree with jb... ;)
Have some sights fitted on. I've used bead sights in the past, but with a pretty long barrel.  In my handi's, I just don't think the barrel is long enough to get a good sight picture.  I can't hit anything with a bead sight shooting Foster slugs.  Now, of course, when I learned how to hunt this way, we practiced alot, too, but still, I'd get some rifle sights put on.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline navyredneck

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 12:41:24 PM »
How do you put rifle sights on a gun with a front bead sight?  And how difficult/expensive is this?