Author Topic: The Leupold Experience  (Read 877 times)

Offline panhandle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • panhandlepr@vierizion.net
The Leupold Experience
« on: October 28, 2006, 10:19:50 AM »
I have to pass this on to others. I have been looking for a good spotting scope for under $500. I was told by an individual at a big optics mailorder business here on the web that the Leupold Sequoia 20-60x80 and the Bushnell Elite 20-60x70 were both the top choices for my needs. I chose the Luepold because most of my rifles wear that name. HUGE MISTAKE!! The Sequoia is huge and heavy, the tripod the send with it is way too flimsy for the scope. The quality of the scope is sickening. I never could get it to zero in on anything without the fuzz. I can't beleive that Luepold would put their name on this piece of crap. To return it back to the dealer, which is mailorder, I must first ship it back to Luepold to have it factory resealed so they can restock it. Not the dealers fault. This cost me $29 for this shipment. Don't know what Luepold will charge for their part and then I'll have to ship it back to the dealer. Should have about $50 - $60 in that piece of crap. Boy, did I ever make out on this. This is the end of my relationship with Luepold. There, I got that off my chest. Thanks for listening.

Panhandlepr

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: The Leupold Experience
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 11:32:59 AM »
Panhandler,
Please take this constructively.  I feel your pain because I hate to be disappointed as well.  But,the size and weight of the scope is something you can find out before you buy it.  The poor image might be a warranty issue that you haven't given Leupold a chance to remedy for you.  As far as the tripod is concerned, if your concerns are legitimate, maybe Leupold would offer to exchange it for something better.  Before I buy optics via mail order or the net, (savings being the reason) I try to get my homework done to avoid disappointments as much as possible. If you are going to send it back to Leupold to have it repackaged, why don't you see if they would address at least some of your issues with it.  Leupold is generally not my first choice in scopes, but their quality is generally very good and the one time I used their warranty service, it was excellent.  I hope you get your issues resolved.  Good luck.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 12:37:13 PM »
I agree with a lot of what Cement Man said, but I am a big Leupold fan and user. I always check out what I am buying real good. I either see one at a gun show or one of the local gun shops before I lay down that kind of cash. Also just because you have one problem does not make every thing leupold makes bad. But do what you feel you have to do.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 01:26:06 PM »
I did tell you before you bought it I had the Bushnell Elite 20-60x80 and that it is the brightest, clearest best spotting scope I've ever seen.

BUT it is HUGE. Any scope with the 80mm objective has to be, that's over 3" in diameter for the objective lens alone. It's big and it's heavy but for the range who cares. No 80mm scope is a hunting spotting scope unless you use it from a vehicle only.

None of them come with a tripod worth mentioning. You'll need to buy a REAL tripod to set it up at the range altho you can get by with the one with the Bushnell if you sit it on the bench.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline HuntingGuy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 01:33:36 PM »
Sorry to hear about that.  I've had nothing but great experiences with Leupold.
HuntingGuy
Hunting in Minnesota Moderator

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 01:20:19 AM »
I did tell you before you bought it I had the Bushnell Elite 20-60x80 and that it is the brightest, clearest best spotting scope I've ever seen.

BUT it is HUGE. Any scope with the 80mm objective has to be, that's over 3" in diameter for the objective lens alone. It's big and it's heavy but for the range who cares. No 80mm scope is a hunting spotting scope unless you use it from a vehicle only.

None of them come with a tripod worth mentioning. You'll need to buy a REAL tripod to set it up at the range altho you can get by with the one with the Bushnell if you sit it on the bench.

You are absolutely right there GB, any 80 mm optic is going to be heavy, I also buy a good tri-pod for my spotting scopes, I have never seen a good one come with a spotting scope.

If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline TheOpticZone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 03:25:46 AM »
Personally, I am surprised that the mail order company required you to send it back to Leupold to get resealed and then back to the mail order company. 
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline HuntingGuy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 04:51:48 AM »
Never had a problem with Leupold riflescopes - they have always been fantastic for me.  I would think the same quality would be carried over to their spotting scope line.  
HuntingGuy
Hunting in Minnesota Moderator

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline ratgunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 11:56:09 AM »
Whew,you had me worried there.I just bought my first"NEW"Leupold scope.I've always got Nikons or Bushnells and used Leupolds. :D
"Non Gratum Anus Rodentum"