Author Topic: How do I get used to the smell of a gutted deer?  (Read 5576 times)

Offline D Boone

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: How do I get used to the smell of a gutted deer?
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2009, 05:08:15 AM »
The smell has never really bothered me, but i have a buddy that doesn't do well.  I always wonder if a surgeon smells that every time he opens up a person.

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2009, 04:13:40 PM »
as we tell the kids playing  basketball, suck it up princess
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline Hunter Fishman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
If you ever figure out how to get past the smell of a gutted deer, you go ahead & let us all know! ;D
Its part of hunting. we all deal with it in one way or another.
I just spray down a old shirt with calogne or air freshener & wrap it around my face.
I still gag every time.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2009, 02:13:49 AM »
Both my boys got "blooded" when they killed their first deer.  The way I did it was to hold their head real close to the newly opened cavity, scoop out a handfull of blood, etc. from it, with my left hand as my right was busy keeping the kid in a headlock, and smearing their faces with the blood, etc.  Some went up their noses and in their mouth but they both came up smiling!   :D  Neither one have ever complained about the "smell."

But one of my hunting buddies, the one on the right in the picture of the 3 of us this year, gags every time he guts a deer.   :-\
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Halwg

• Contributor
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2009, 02:56:03 PM »
I gutted on this past Wednesday and really didn't think it had much smell at all!
The older I get...The better I was.

Offline coyotesbluff

« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2009, 12:14:46 AM »
Boy this brings me back to when my much older than me brother thought he'd be a tough hunter
and hang out with me. ;) I had just killed a deer {I was 16} and he {26} I guess he admired me for hunting and taking after my grandfather {no one else did}, but anyway....he had run right over to me as I just shot my deer, a big healthy doe. I said do you wanna do the honors he says no..I wanna watch and learn !
As I slit the lining the steam rolled up and under our noses ...he stands up and runs 10 ft and starts puking!!
I laughed sooooo hard tears were in my eyes and I could'nt stop laughing it was the longest time it took me to gut a deer about 45min. of just laughing... needless to say he never got into hunting afterwards thats a shame but atleast he gave me a good laugh and a memory of our first and last time hunting together. :D
It"s a smell you just deal with... it"s not a forever smell thank god for that ....the sooner you get the guts out & out of the way the sooner the smell goes away. ;)

Offline squirrellluck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2009, 02:27:40 PM »
It doesn't matter if you get over the smell as long as you get the job done.