Author Topic: Help me pick a 7mm Mag Scope  (Read 1268 times)

Offline CDA

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
Help me pick a 7mm Mag Scope
« on: October 31, 2006, 08:46:16 AM »
Need advise for a scope for my "Mag Gun".

I am going to buy a scope for my Ruger 7mm Mag, SS, Lam. I would like to have a scope compatible to the 7mm Mag, possible up to a .338 if I were to trade. Because of my natural shouldering, I would like it to have good eye relief. I do most of my hunting in TN, but this is the gun I would also take out west for longer range hunting. I would like to have the highest practical power, without being over powered for closer shots.

I am not set on any particular brand, but would like to spend $150-200. I have read many of the prior post on Simmons, Burris, Bushnell, Leupold, Nikon, etc., but am having a hard time deciding.

Thank ahead for the help,
CDA

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Help me pick a 7mm Mag Scope
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 10:31:12 AM »
I'd look at:

The Burris Fullfield II 3X9.  Comes with a set of binoculars for $209.

Nikon Prostaff for less than $150, or a Nikon Buckmaster 3 X 9 for around $200....

Bushnell elite 3200 3 X 9....around $200..........

All are really nice for the price.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 11:35:30 AM »
If you plan to make a long shot ever or are in low light conditions, you will want a good quality scope. I have gone the route of inexpensive scopes and through time have learned to save a little and get a good scope. Sure you can get a good scope for around $200, but you can get better ones in the $250 to $300 range. For your application I think a Leupold 3.5 X 10 X 40 would be a great choice. JMHO ;)
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline kenscot

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 12:00:48 PM »
I would have to kinda  agree with Redhawk on this one. How about a Leupold vari xII 3x9 . For the 300 bucks I do not think this scope can be beat! 

Offline 45/70fan

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 08:49:30 AM »
What Redhawk1 and Kenscot said. My Browning BPR 7 Rem Mag wears a Leupold vari XII 3x9x40.

Offline gdolby

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 01:19:15 AM »
kind of going along with the crowd here I have leupold on all my rifles and they have never let me down. My 7 mm wears a 4x12 and it seems to work well for me. I have also tried the 'cheap way' on scopes and finally figured out I paid in other ways. Good Hunting....Bill

Offline Ahab

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 12:32:19 PM »
What Redhawk1 and Kenscot said. My Browning BPR 7 Rem Mag wears a Leupold vari XII 3x9x40.

Sorry Guys, I believe the Ziess 3X9X40 Conquest outshines the Leo. I've got both and your welcome to come on over and see for yourself. ;D
NRA Endowment
Arizona Bighorn Sheep Society member
Arizona Antelope Foundation member

Offline kudzu

• A Real Regular
  • (Dancoman)
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 10:05:55 AM »
Bushnell 4200 2.5x10x40 or 50

Offline jmckinley

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 10:18:25 AM »
 :D I just put a Mueller 3-10X44 on my 7Mag and have a Burris FullfieldII that for $200 bucks is a great buy. I like the Mueller as well as any scope I own. Jess
Jess

Offline smokey262

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 10:31:31 AM »
You can buy brand new in the box with full factory warranty Burris Fullfleld II 3-9x40 any time you want on ebay for about $150 give or take $10

I have a couple and love them.  The ballistic plex reticle is very nice.  For the 7Mag use the center of the reticle for 200 yards, then each corresponding lower stadia line is another 100 yards, 300, 400, etc.

I zeroed mine at 200 with Winchester 140 gr Ballistic SilverTips andthen  went to the 300 yard range.  Dead nuts  Ohhh yeah! 

To me the next best cheaper scope is the Bushnell Legend 3-9x40 for $109  The next best more expensive scope is the Bushnell 4200 3-9x40 for $238

Offline CDA

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 03:20:14 AM »
Thanks for the feedback from all. I have looked into all the scopes mentioned and still have not made up my mind. From my comparisons it looks like the Leupolds have the best eye relief. I also like the ballistic reticle, like on the Burris FF2's. If possible, I would like to get one with the silver finish to match.

Offline Tulsa

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 02:41:27 PM »
I have an old tang safety ruger in 7mm RM.  I had a FFII w/ballisitic plex (great in theory, but never used it).  I then made the mistake of looking through a Zeiss conquest.  I then replaced the FF with a Zeiss conquest 3.5-10x44 (bought from Optic Zone, best price anywhere).  I plan to by the 3-9x40 for my Encore.  Good luck with you choice.
Tulsa
"God bless America"

Offline 31 bertram

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 11:16:53 AM »
I think that the Leuplod would serve you well just not for sure if you can get one in the price you quoted.  I'll bet you can find a new Burris FF 3x9 or Bushnell 3200 for $200 or less.  Not for sure about the eye relief on the Bushnell though.  Hope this helps. 
31bertram

Offline BUSTER51

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2006, 08:02:17 AM »
For magnums you will want a scope with the best eye releif ,I would not cheap out and be sorry later.The Ziess Conquest has 4 inches of eye releif and etched rectil so it is great on mannums,also it has some of the brightest clearest glass and the warentee is lifetime .busnells are nice but they have shorter eye releif and if you have never had scope eye you dont want to start now.

Offline nasem

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 12:10:50 PM »
For magnums you will want a scope with the best eye releif ,I would not cheap out and be sorry later.The Ziess Conquest has 4 inches of eye releif and etched rectil so it is great on mannums,also it has some of the brightest clearest glass and the warentee is lifetime .busnells are nice but they have shorter eye releif and if you have never had scope eye you dont want to start now.

This is defenetly true.... but don't forget about leupolds Vx-II eye relief... I beive on the 3-9 model, its 3.9 to 4.1 (comparable with ziess).

Yes maybe the optics of ziess are "better" but hey, If I can see a deer running when thers is almost no light outside at over 250 yards with my VX-II, then Im plenty happy with the leupolds glass