Author Topic: Hot peppers and hot sauces  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Hot peppers and hot sauces
« on: November 01, 2006, 07:38:01 AM »
How hot do you like your hot peppers and sauces?
Extra mild, no heat added
Mild, a token amount of spice that doesn't really affect flavor
Medium, a little heat to augment the flavor of the food
Hot but with flavor of food intact
Blazingly hot, dominated by pepper or sauce. Flavor of food compromised
Toxic to all but Thai nationals and certain specialized bacteria. Food is matrix to support pepper.

People accuse me of putting Tabasco on everything and that I like everything really hot and spicy. Not true. I add Tabasco or Chinese chili paste to many things but it's not to get a lot of heat, it's to improve the flavor and give me a moderate amount of spiciness. I'd rate my preference as being medium to hot.

Safety first

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
Re: Hot peppers and hot sauces
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 10:55:09 AM »
With your descriptions I would pick medium at lunch and Hot in the evening with beer

Offline jpsmith1

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 11:48:32 AM »
Medium to hot, depending on my mood.  Much beyond that and there doesn't seem to be much sense in eating it.  Food is about the flavor, not just the heat.

Besides, the 'hot pepper revenge' the next morning just isn't worth all that heat.
Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 05:10:23 PM »
Medium to hot - it all depends on what cuisine it is.  For example, Thai has to hot, but Chinese and Mexican should be medium.

Then again something at the toxic level with tortilla chips and an ice cold margarita/beer is always fun.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 12:14:58 AM »
These topics are fun---and telling.
I am not a real fan of HOT food, as in firey hot,pepperie flavor.
I like spicey food, food where the heat is evident but not overwhelming.
I like to eat mild peppers.
I like the South Loisiana food--it is spicey but not hot.
I dislike HOT sausage or HOT Chili.
Spicey--yes. Hot--No.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 01:05:59 AM »
Like the other posters I favor medium to hot.   
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline WylieKy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 02:37:04 AM »
I like most things medium.  I prefer the tangy hot sauces to the ones that are just heat.  There is one exception.  Beef or venison jerky.  It must be SALTY, GARLICY, and HOT, with just a little smoke and sweet.

WylieKy
This that I do, I do by my own free will.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 06:45:53 AM »
It doesn't make any difference with me, just serve ice cream afterward so the next day as I "conduct business" I can cry, "common on ice cream!

Did you know MILK is the best way to tame or relive the fire from peppers that are too hot.  Another piece of advice, from first hand experience, be careful "what" you handle after chopping or handling hot peppers.  The flame can be transfered to unwanted places even after washng your hands.

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 07:18:18 AM »
I love that Smoked Tobasco Chipotle on about everything but pancakes.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Questor

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 08:47:02 AM »
Cement Man:

Tabasco is selling a syrupy hot sauce now. I tried it and hated it. For one thing, it took forever to pour. For another thing the flavor wasn't very good. I threw most of the bottle away. However, you may like it on your pancakes.

For the record, the only Tabasco product I like is the original Tabasco sauce. These new green, chipotle, garlic, and syrup variations are no good as far as I'm concerned.
Safety first

Offline ajj

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 10:37:53 AM »
As a public service to the Graybeard community I will reveal that Miss Anna's Pepper Sauce from St. Croix, Virgin Islands is THE BEST hot sauce in the history of the world. My daughter discovered it on a trip. Not just my opinion, this is an international prize winner. 100 year old recipe. Habanero based so yes, it is hot, but wonderful on just about anything, especially steak and fish. Google it up, it's available by mail order.

Offline TNrifleman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 01:43:21 PM »
Gee, I love peppers and hot sauces! The heat level depends on the mood I'm in at the time. Sometimes, the hotter, the better, but not always. I've tried all kinds of hot sauce concoctions through the years. I still like original, genuine Tabasco brand the best. It's unique flavor and heat level is about perfect for most uses. ;D

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 02:18:09 PM »
I love that Smoked Tobasco Chipotle on about everything but pancakes.

I love it too but have not been able to find it at my local store lately.   >:(  I haven't put it on pancakes either but on my eggs for breakfast... you bet.  ;)
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 02:54:22 PM »
The BLAZIN sauce at the local BW3's has proven to be too hot for my taste.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 10:50:17 PM »
   I guess I am in the " medium " category also.

Curiously, I like the lower cost Louisiana hot sauces better, Durkee's, Frank's etc..for me, the original Tabasco leaves too much aftertaste. When I have hot sauce on something, I want to taste the sauce...as well as the hot..

The way it works on me, Tabasco overpowers the food...then I continue to taste Tabasco..long after the food is gone.. that may be just me, however..

Rockbilly : thanks for the milk tip, never can tell when one may need it !

Ajj : Read your notice about the " best hot sauce " and though It may be very good sauce...I just don't see how some group can decide which one is " best ". I am sure that with just the posters here, there could be no simple "best" sauce..I would venture that with any 10 of us, there would be at least 8 different " best" sauces.. they are so individual in preferences..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline ajj

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2006, 05:00:40 AM »
Ironglow, just an opinion, obviously. I couldn't resist mentioning it's an opinion shared by others. A man who thinks Durkees' (which I love) is hot probably wouldn't like it. ;)

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2006, 06:39:38 AM »
My wife brought this chocolate home from Italy this summer.
After the dark chocolate flavor is gone you get the pepper taste, just enough to know there is pepper in it

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2006, 12:43:37 AM »
I am pretty sold on Tabasco's products packed by the McIlhenny Co. on Avery island outside of New Iberia, La.
They put out at least 10 different products.
The flavor, for me, is rich and not TOOOOO hot, especially the Chipotle--I love it on oysters on the hald-shell--good smoky flavor.
Side note--
When I do my little day trips to Louisiana about every three months McIlhenny's is a place I stop in the afternoon before heading back home.
If you are ever in the area and want a pleasant stop, try it. they have a country store filled with all of the Tobasco products and a range of gifts and gift packets. There is an avery trail thru thier park that is fun and relaxing--caeful to not feed the gators and don't try to run over them, they are bumpy.
There is even a short plesant tour of the factory available, without resevations. It is a fun stop, plenty of shade and parking. Real country stop.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2006, 08:01:02 AM »
  Wm;

The wife and Ii stopped by Avery Island a few years ago, that little gift shop at the gate does have some interesting stuff. I bought a couple watercolors there that apparently were done by a local artist.

I was put off a bit by the "factory tour" ( then, $5 per person)... because most factory tours I have taken, there is no charge..advertising you know ! Rightly or wrongly, I considered an admission charge as exploitive..

I guess I have not been aware of Tabasco's other sauces..having written Tabasco off long ago as too ready to stay with me aftyer the meal is done..LOL   i may just try some of the other products by McIlhenny's...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2006, 09:00:33 AM »
Cement Man:

For the record, the only Tabasco product I like is the original Tabasco sauce. These new green, chipotle, garlic, and syrup variations are no good as far as I'm concerned.

I like the original and the habanero from tobasco, that's about it. My wife accidently grabbed a bottle of yucatan habanero, good flavor and not too much heat.

I like med to hot also. I do like flaming hot chili, and mexican food.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline akpls

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2006, 12:09:35 PM »
I put a little bit of cayenne powder in or on most everything.  I generally substitute it for salt.  The amount of powder determines the amount of heat and there's no heavy pepper taste which I really don't like.  I also take a cayenne powder supplement capsule everyday and have not had a single case of heartburn since starting to do that. 

Offline twocan

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
  • 185 pounder
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2006, 04:34:50 PM »
All you "BOYS" need to try dumb ass hot sauce, I got it at bass pro. Man is it hot and very good you only need a drop or two. But its not for the week. Make it burn baby

Offline Mannlicher

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2006, 11:26:31 AM »
I believe my hot sauce recipe to be the best in the world.  Great flavor, steady heat, and it goes on almost everything.  I have been making it for years, and I call it "Mango Madness", since ripe mangos are in the mix.  The peppers I use are habenaros.  A dozen peppers, seeds membranes and all, go into each batch.  The yield is three 16 oz bottles for the recipe.
Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2006, 12:52:18 AM »
Whats with the "boys" twocan??  Heat doesn't make you a "man"!
Each has a prefrence.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2006, 12:41:26 PM »
I believe my hot sauce recipe to be the best in the world.  Great flavor, steady heat, and it goes on almost everything.  I have been making it for years, and I call it "Mango Madness", since ripe mangos are in the mix.  The peppers I use are habenaros.  A dozen peppers, seeds membranes and all, go into each batch.  The yield is three 16 oz bottles for the recipe.

How about sharing?
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2006, 03:09:21 PM »

How about sharing?

Pass some over here also!

Offline kyote

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2006, 04:24:21 PM »
 nice bottle with a shaker type top, vinegar bottles work well the balsamic type.layer garlic cut in half on the bottom,then habeneos cut in half then onion cut and layed on top the peppers,apple cider vinegar brought just to a boil.pour over garlic onion and peppers,let cool, keep in fridge but not importent.as juice is used, add more when half way down,.if you are brave eat a pepper.the onions will be now as hot also.great on fried rice,any fried food, spagetts,eggs ect.not that hot and a little goes a long way..very tasty and differnt.ahhh yes great on stews also........
the other guy with the mangoes,,I would like to see it also..sounds like maybe a reveved up chutney..

I like hot to XXXXhot.depending on whats on the plate..deer brains fried get XXXXXhot..
my huntin rifle is safe from confiscation only while my battle rifle protects it.

Offline Wildcat Crazy

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2006, 01:34:35 PM »
Tabasco sauce is a bit mild for my taste,KP's Towering  Inferno habanero sauce is much tastier.I use a couple of bottles a week,it is good on everything except ice cream and choclate cake.

I disagree that it masks the flavor of food but rather enhances it.

I also never have heartburn.

If I ever marry again ,I'll find a Mexican woman who knows how to cook.

WC

Offline azshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2006, 10:20:51 AM »
Tobasco is ok - I like Red Hot myself as it seems to have more flavor and pour it on.  Habanero sauce I tried and my uh rear end was on fire(literally the next day) - stuff was like 10 times hotter than Tobasco.  Habenero is off the list.