Author Topic: Huh? Baton and felony posession of deadly weapon?  (Read 1262 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Huh? Baton and felony posession of deadly weapon?
« on: November 03, 2006, 01:13:44 AM »
It's a felony to carry a baton? Shucks! I better stop carrying pencils and pens aboard planes, I could be in serious trouble...

From USA Today:

"LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Rap artist "Snoop Dogg" was charged Thursday with one felony count of knowingly possessing a deadly weapon -- a collapsible baton -- while trying to board a plane in California, authorities in Orange County said."

Safety first

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
Re: Huh? Baton and felony posession of deadly weapon?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 02:55:25 AM »
It's a felony to carry a baton? Shucks! I better stop carrying pencils and pens aboard planes, I could be in serious trouble...

From USA Today:

"LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Rap artist "Snoop Dogg" was charged Thursday with one felony count of knowingly possessing a deadly weapon -- a collapsible baton -- while trying to board a plane in California, authorities in Orange County said."

What would his defense be? "He was going to use it to operate the keys on his Blackberry"? Now he can make a new video...."Dogg's gone down......again"

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline jhm

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 03:11:02 AM »
Like they said on Good Morning America (He is getting a RAP sheet ) :D   JIM

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 03:49:21 AM »
Questor - I don't wanna be a stick inna mud here but if they say no, it means no. Period!  The collapsible batons are used defensively but we both know that they can also be used as an offensive weapon.  Snoop Doggie should have read the writing on the wall, where it is posted.  Lo Siento buddy.  It ain't a bad rap he's gettin' for doin' nothing, it's a rap he's gettin' for doing the wrong thing! 

Just so ya know, those collapsible batons hurt when they hit.  You can take the large end off and use them as a sticker.  That isn't too far from what the 9/11 terrorists did with box cutters.

Too bad for the dog, he should have read the posters that list what can and can not be carried on airplanes.  Mikey.

Offline jpsmith1

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 12:59:59 PM »
No sympathy. 

Anyone DUMB enough to carry a WEAPON, any weapon onto a PLANE, gets what they deserve.  What, exactly, was Mr. Dogg afraid of, a fly by shooting?

A baton as a deadly weapon?  Sure.  You could easily beat a person to death with a baton.  Couple of good whacks around the temple or the back of the head, maybe a shot to the throat and your number is up.

Plus, this is the People's Republic of Kalifornia that we're talking about.  It just may be a felony to carry a well sharpened pencil there.
Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....

Offline dakotashooter2

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 05:38:00 AM »
It likely became a "felony" when he tried to get it on the plane.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline Questor

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 07:29:42 AM »
The outrageous thing to me is that I don't know where weapons start and non-weapons end. I have a two-D-cell Mag light flashlight that is one of my most prized tools. It sounds like I could get busted for trying to get it on a plane in my carry-on luggage. It's blunt and can be used as a club. I carried it in a carry-on day pack a few months ago when I flew into Reagan National in DC. 

I don't know anything about how a baton is different. It seems to me that a felony charge in a case like this is ridiculously heavy-handed. I had never heard of a baton until this story hit the news last week. I can understand confiscating something like that, but just jumping to a felony charge seems ridiculous.

I would expect any American to understand that knives and guns cannot be taken on airplanes as carry-on luggage, but beyond that, things become unclear quickly.  For example, knitting needles were once confiscated but now are permitted. Butane lighters are now confiscated.

How are we supposed to know what's considered a weapon by the TSA? They don't show an exhaustive list at the security lines at airports.

I think the case should be thrown out because the prohibited items are changing all the time and it is unreasonable for the populace to keep fully informed about those changes.
Safety first

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 02:33:49 AM »
Questor - the case may well be thrown out because of the constant changes you mentioned, but some judge will have to determine that.  And, albeit I do not have any sympathy for Monsieur Dog, the list you mentioned may not be that exhaustive.  It probably also depends on who found it - a real LEO or a hired security guard.  Who knows?  The details will come out, I'm sure. 

I also have no doubt that your flashlight could easily be used as a club but a club is different, at least in appearance, than some extendable baton which most likely looks worse than it is (until wielded by a skilled individual).  JMHO.  Mikey.

Offline Golsovia

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 05:51:23 PM »
A few weeks ago, I lost a couple dozen aquarium fish to the TSA in Kotzebue, Alaska! I should hope the Pooch was separated from his weapon- that is no big surprise.