Author Topic: How's The Game Looking In Your Area???  (Read 832 times)

Offline Lawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
How's The Game Looking In Your Area???
« on: April 19, 2003, 11:50:07 AM »
Looking for reports on the game outlook for the upcoming seasons.  In Calif. things are looking up.  Of the Black Bear sows I've been seeing all seem to have twins with one old gal having had triplets.  Lots of piglets, fawns and baby birds of all types.  Got a coyote den spotted that I've been watching and it looks like mama had 9 pups this year.  In short, this year looks like we got a good crop of young ones for replenishment.  How are things looking in the areas you live in or are planning on hunting this year?  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Dezertyote

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2003, 03:55:55 PM »
Lawdog,
Where I live our fawns haven't dropped yet, our cubs wont be out of their dens for awhile still. Coyote pups have just started to be born and wont be out of their dens for another 3 weeks or more depending on bring if they were early drops. Little early to tell what the future is to bring around here. We're hoping for good numbers, dispite the harsh winter we had, it was a tough cold loooong winter we had this year...  I had 39 straight days of below zero, 6 of those were 23-25 below and just under 8  feet of snow at my house. We'll get a better idea around mid May. Im a predator caller and it was cold enough to keep me in most of the winter. I dont suppose that has anything to do with age...     good fishing to you all... :lol:
Blow a vintage Circe dinner bell and they will come...

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2003, 10:31:37 AM »
Dezertyote,

Welcome to the Western Big Game Hunting forum.  I too am a varmint hunter from back when I was 13 and got introduced to calling coyotes by a friend father.  Got hooked and never looked back.  I get as much satisfaction from calling in a coyote or bobcat or whatever as I do from calling in an old tom turkey.  Again let me welcome to our forum and hope you come back to visit often.  Any questions or comments you may have please ask away and I'm sure someone here will try to answer.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Dezertyote

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2003, 12:12:51 PM »
Lawdog,
   Im quite familiar with WESTERN BIG GAME, having lived in Az. for 22 years. I spent a great deal of time in the outdoors, running a trap line, hunting, fishing and generaly in the high country year round. I guess I just never saw a lot of fawn drops this early, and the coyote pups wont be venturing outside the interior of their dens for another 2-3 weeks. Maybe I missed a lot...

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2003, 01:14:23 PM »
Dezertyote,

Normally I would agree with you but this year the winter was very mild.  All of the young that I've been seeing are just coming out of their dens on real sunny days that we were having a couple of weeks ago and mama isn't very far away.  A great way to play hooky from work.  What part of AZ are you from?  Spent some time in Flagstaff in 1969 after I was discharged from the Marines.  Pretty country around there and I would have stayed but I had other commitments back in Calif. to attend to.  College and family mostly.  Lawdog

Offline Dezertyote

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2003, 03:20:23 AM »
Lawdog,
Im glad to hear some folks had a mild winter. We're about a month behind due to the prolonged winter we had.
  I lived in Phx for 18 yrs. then a company in Prescott lured me to go on board with them. Didn't take a big carrot to get me up there. Trapped all threw the Bradshaws during the late 70s and 80s, good cat and fox country. Who wants to work during trapping season... I could make a good living doing what I loved. Spent a lot of time in the rim country hunting deer, elk and hiking down into the canyons to my favorite trout streams.
    Flagstaffs a nice place, its also quite popular for all the peeps to get out of the desert heat though out the summer months. The whole state is changing at a fast pace. Shoot, in 77 Prescott Valley along Rt. 69 had two buildings, a gas station and i think it was a small little store, that was it, now its a small city. Prescott valley and all the surounding area was the heart of great antelope hunting. Got to stop typing I'm getting off the original subject of the thread...  Take care