Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 1681 times)

Offline panhandle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • panhandlepr@vierizion.net
Gas Prices
« on: November 04, 2006, 05:52:43 AM »
I,m a Republican and I noticed my party doing some strange things lately.  They say nothing can be done about the high price of gas, but as soon as it started to drop in price, it was because they were in power.

Panhandlepr

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 01:21:39 PM »
When the price goes up,whoever is in power gets the blame so guess its only right that when it drops they get the credit
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline jhm

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 04:49:39 AM »
Thats Right:  It is about the only way you can have it both ways!!  Blame them when it rises and give them do credit when it falls.   JIM

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 01:54:08 PM »
I expect gas prices to rise.....starting Wed. November 8th........just after the election.....

My, My, how quickly people forget.........
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Brett

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 04:09:29 PM »
And I suppose that the unemployment rate will jump up on the 8th also... right?  ::)
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 07:53:39 AM »
If you keep up on news,gas prices will not go up Wed November 8th,or 9th or 10th.or because of any election.OPEC can't seem to inforce there output cuts,so prices are going down even more.Sorry to bust anyones bubble,why not enjoy it,and put same energy in it as you seem to do when prices are rising?
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline prairiedog555

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 10:06:59 AM »
In the movie "the formula" circa 1973, when the big oil ceo (Marlon Brando) hears a subordinate say, "those damn arabs" refering to the increase in cost of oil, he replys, "you idiot, we are the arabs" 

You don't really think those goat herders could manipulate anything do you?

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 12:54:18 PM »
Everybody cusses the oil companies.  As if its a us versus them thing.  Fact of the matter is, if you're in a IRA or any sort of mutual funds if your folio manager doesn't have a hand full of stocks in those companies, you'd do well to find another fund.  All of the oil companies are publically held so anyone can buy stock and profit. 
Everyone hollers about personal freedoms but the minute something happens that they don't like, they start hollering "the gov'ment ought to do something".  Can't have it both ways guys. 

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 01:00:44 PM »
Gas down to 1.999 in Mankato MN today.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 01:21:13 PM »
I just paid $2.799 for #1 diesel.  It cost me over $80.00 to fill my tank on my truck.  And fuel has come down here.  You guys think the price of gas is bad there, here we sit with our local refinery drawing oil straight off the pipeline.  No transportation cost to get the oil, there is a tap just 1/4 mile from my house with a pipe going straight to the refinery two miles away.  After the gas is refined they sell it here 20 cents more than they sell it in Anchorage after transporting it 300 miles by train.  Today gas is $2.479 per gallon here in North Pole.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline prairiedog555

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 01:23:30 PM »
Yes, gas is a commodity, and we can own oil stocks, and we will all pay what we have to in order to live the way we want.  That being said if you are president of US you have lots of intellegence resources at your disposal, and they must tell you that the muslims will use oil to hold you hostage, so why would you not right now start a Manhattan project to get away from arab oil?  Must be a reason, maybe promises to keep, at the expense of the American people. 
The only thing I see being done is ethanol, which when made with corn is only marginally if at all workable.  More promises to keep. 
Can we not find one honest courageous man to be our leader.  I am disallusioned.

Offline magooch

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 03:35:09 AM »
Anyone who thinks we can get off the oil dependency in the near future is just not being realistic.  The logistics alone is enough to keep us on oil for a long, long time.  The government can and should do something and one good place to start is open Anwar to drilling.  Another thing is to open up more off-shore drilling, like off of Florida and California and anywhere else that might be promising.  Those two states consume more than their share of oil and it is just plain wrong that they are exempt from off-shore drilling for political reasons.  This is one issue that the President and I disagree completely on.
Swingem

Offline powderman

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 02:44:07 PM »
I filled the car up today at $2 a gal. Bought kerosene too at $3 a gallon, yep, I said THREE $ a gallon. What a ripoff. POWDERMAN.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 07:25:43 PM »
Filled up today, price was $1.88/gal. Local Flying J truck stop. Lucky enough to live in an area that has 2 major oil refinery's within 3 miles of each other. Here is the way I see it. It took this country 70-80 years to get this dependent on oil. It will not change overnight. Not sure of exact statistics, but I figure that it would take 3-5 years to get an alternative fuel plant built.(there is one in the plans in the city I live) The best way to fight high prices, is to be smart about it. When I did my running about today, paid car insurance, grocery shopping, steel for targets,bank, shoes for the kids. Tomorrow, I will NOT, start the van. One day a week, I will not drive. Keep the vehicle's tuned up, tire's at top air pressure. Do my best to get the best gas milage I can.(by the way, my brother and nephew both work for BP)
Not sure how many of you can remember the oil shortage of the early '70's. I remember 2 different fist fights at gas stations back then. But if this country ever got into a simalier sitution, possible food shortage's because trucks don't have diesel fuel, people can't make it into work because of no transportation. I'm afraid that fist fights would be very minor. Hope and pray that it will never happen.- gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 07:49:01 PM »
And the kicker, we are sitting on lots of oil.  But the greenies have lied and everyone thinks it will be bad for the Caribou to drill for the oil.  So this oil shortage that will be coming is due to our own stupidity.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline prairiedog555

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007, 01:19:49 PM »
The answer to foreign oil stranglhold is not to try to change overninght, but to really make an effort to change.  If every one just kept their tires inflated right it would save millions of br. of oil, not to mention nuclear power, oil shale, tar sands, coal gasification, (there is more energy in wyoming than saudi arabia) Hydorgen and electric and diesel cars.  I would drive an electric or diesel car that cost me a LOT less if they offered one, wouldn't you?
But if we just keep going along trying to find more oil it will ALL be gone someday.  We have to stop looking like stupid junkies.  We are the best, we can do it if our leadership is there. 
I blame the self serving politicos on the take more than I do the oil companies or the arabs. 

Remember the definition of insanity:  "Keep doing the same thing over and over and expect different results"

I have been a Conservative, but I helped vote out a Republican senator that was on the oil co. payroll here in Ks.  I have had enough, Haven't you?  I am outraged by these dishonest scoundrals.  Get Mad.  Leadership is to blame!!!!!!  Some body get some tar and feathers and a ROPE.
That is the REAL reason or forefathers gave us the right to keep and bare arms, to get rid of dishonest politicians.

Offline powderman

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 04:54:14 PM »
TM7. Around 1980 I worked with a guy whose brother bought a brand new Ford pickup  truck. He and his brother filled it up and drove to Indy and back from Lou. Did more driving and noticed the gas ga had barely moved. Upon returning home the Ford people called and said that they gave him the wrong truck, please return it, he declined. They even threatened him saying they would get it one way or the other. Turned out his truck had an experimental carb on it that got SUPER mileage. His truck disappeared one night, later found in the Ohio river, minus the carberator. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Offline magooch

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 04:06:18 AM »
Anyone who believes those silly stories is as silly as the story.
Swingem

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2007, 01:05:44 PM »
I'm almost 70 and that bogus story goes all the way back to my childhood.  Wwaaaayyy back then it was a secret carb that the germans had developed.  If Ford/GMC/Chrysler had a high mileage carb, why wouldn't they market it????  They have no alliegence to the oil companies.  Or is that another conspiracy?   ;)

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007, 01:19:16 PM »
Mythbusters did a story on the high milage carb and found out . At least the one they tried was a sham. In fact I think it started a fire in the car. There is only so much energy contained in a gallon of gasoline. All the heat and friction in your engine is energy wasted. I believe Volkswagon is working on a motor without a camshaft that will increase efficiency quite a bit. I'm not sure that electric is going to be an answer as the amount of energy used to propel a vehicle would mandate a very large motor and a very large battery. More promising is a hydrogen fuel cell if they can work out a way to contain those tiny hydrogen atoms.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2007, 02:52:41 PM »
Anyone who believes those silly stories is as silly as the story.
You saying PM is silly?...... :o.. ;D ;D ;D

Looks like Powderman has been duped again by rumors   ::)
http://www.snopes.com/autos/business/carburetor.asp
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline powderman

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2007, 03:41:01 PM »
Whatever you say guys, I only told what my friend told me, but I'm sure it was Bushs fault. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline bearfat

• Contributor
  • "Nothin but giant rats with stubby little tails"
    • Deer/Bear hunting Northern Minnesota
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2007, 04:04:11 PM »
St Paul Minnesota at $1.84 gallon for regular unleaded. What about the E85 stuff?
bearfats cabin:    http://buckmountainchateau.com/

Offline prairiedog555

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2007, 12:26:53 PM »
They sell e85 here in Ks.  I used to use it untill I read that you get between 5-15% less mileage with it.  Although they said it burns much cleaner.  It used to be priced about 2-3 cents a gal less, but now the same.
What I can't figure out is why diesel is so much higher than reg gas, must be the added road taxs i guess.

Offline magooch

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2007, 03:36:06 AM »
It's called "whatever the market will bear."
Swingem

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2007, 06:00:25 AM »
Like magooch said...

90% of the transportation industry uses diesel, and they have no other option at this point.  "They could charge $5 a gallon, and the trucks would still have to run ::)

It does end up hurting folks like us with diesel pickups.  I remember when diesel used to be 40-50 cents cheaper than gas (only a couple of years ago), so diesel engines trucks were cheaper to run.

Gas here has dropped considerably in the past 2 weeks.  $1.75 for unleaded and $2.39 for diesel in a couple of places.  Unleaded was up to $2.08 a little over a month ago.

Just wait until Venezuela cuts off the cheap oil thanks to the new regime.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!