Author Topic: Conferedrate rifle  (Read 1329 times)

Offline civilcannon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Conferedrate rifle
« on: November 04, 2006, 04:42:43 PM »
I have always been interested in building a Confederate rifle somthing like the Blakely type 10,( 2.9 in.) I have only one reference on this model  on page 154 of Artilery and Ammunition of the Civil  War
.I would be interested in the dimensions and drawings if anyone has a source. This book also mentions a Confederate 2.25 rifle but no details.

This would be a cool CSA answer to the Mountain Howitzer.I can see it iron with bronze trunions and trunnion bands, simmilar to the 3.6 field rifle.

Thanks

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Confederate rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 04:40:28 PM »
A forum member who posts under the name of CrufflerSteve has one of these.  And there is a thread about it in the old forum directories, which are unfortunately not available right now.  A new version of the forum software is supposed to go in shortly along with a new search engine which may allow effective searches of the old part of the forum.  Try crufflersteve and mountain as search arguments.  You can also get plans from AOP (No. 56) at http://lassengunsmithing.com/AOPCatalog.htm.

Here is a link to google's cached page.  Here is a link to the thread on GBO.

GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline civilcannon

• GBO Supporter
Re: Conferedrate rifle
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 11:25:30 AM »
Thanks for the info I forgott to check with AOP.Thats a beauty crufflersteve
I still want to work up a pattern  (to be cast) of the Blakely perhaps 1/2 scale, I may need to take a trip to the Washington Navy Yard for measuements.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 05:34:19 PM »
Call Don Lutz at AOP and talk to him.  I have been told he has some plans that he doesn't list and that he knows where plans are that he doesn't have.

Offline civilcannon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 05:57:56 AM »
Thanks for the info. I have a friend that wants to build the 3.6 field rifle (full scale ) except, it will be a smooth bore.

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 08:48:24 AM »
The 2nd Indiania Cav. Had 2 small rifle's which were likey 10 pdr. Blakely type  according to a friends research. They were both mounted on Mt. Howitzer Carriages. The 2nd was all over the Trans- Miss theater of the war and had them until they mustered out in 1864.  Blakely's had intesting rifling and would make an neat project.

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 03:36:54 AM »
I have always been interested in building a Confederate rifle somthing like the Blakely type 10,( 2.9 in.) I have only one reference on this model  on page 154 of Artilery and Ammunition of the Civil  War
.I would be interested in the dimensions and drawings if anyone has a source. This book also mentions a Confederate 2.25 rifle but no details.

This would be a cool CSA answer to the Mountain Howitzer.I can see it iron with bronze trunions and trunnion bands, simmilar to the 3.6 field rifle.

Thanks

civilcannon;

In answer to your request of 11-04-06 for information on the little Blakeley rifle.

I was just going through my files yesterday and came across this drawing of the cannon featured in the Artillery & Ammunition Book. I owned this cannon in the late 1970's and sold it to the present owner. Unfortunately back then, I didn’t always take a photograph of all the cannons I had and my main interest was of the American manufactured Civil War Field Artillery. What I discovered in my files is that I had made this drawing of the little Blakeley 2.9” Mountain Rifle before selling it. 

I now share it with you here.

Click on the drawing to enlarge...

Always think safety...be a More Complete Cannoneer.

"I HATE SMALL TOWNS BECAUSE ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THE CANNON IN THE PARK, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO DO."

Offline civilcannon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 06:17:18 AM »
Thanks cpt.Ed this looks like a good winter project, I don't know if it will be full or half scale depending on availible materials but I do THANK YOU for all of your help.

civilcannon