Author Topic: I need input on portable groundblinds  (Read 567 times)

Offline BPS slayer

• Trade Count: (2)
I need input on portable groundblinds
« on: November 05, 2006, 05:09:56 AM »
I have used an Underbrush Bowhunter groundblind for the last 7-8 years, and the fabric is starting to rip because it is too weak. It is time for a new blind.

I have looked at the spring-open blinds like the Doghouse, but haven't seen the hub-style blinds yet. If you could recommend one style/model over another I would appreciate it.

I will be hunting with my 10 year-old alot, so it needs to fit 2 people. I want to stay at or under $100.

Thank you

Offline prairiedog555

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: I need input on portable groundblinds
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 10:03:38 AM »

I use the spring tee pee type.  Mostly because they are cheap, portable, and hide my scent, (i think)  have been successfull for me.  They are hard to get back in carry pkg, but you just have to bend them till you think they will break and they will go back in.    I think they are great.  I pay $39 at Natchez shooters supply.  I put one up in a couple of spots and when I move I just get in one that is already set up.  I don't like tree stands, a local guy here is parallized from falling out of one and I hear a number of injuries happen every year.  plus your are tied to it, what if the wind changes or you just feel like moving. 

Offline alleyyooper

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 12:48:26 PM »

this one is 5 feet square and is $60.00 thur Cabela's

I have both models of the dog house and they are a tight fit for a adult and a child. Also if you get the amerastep dog house blind get a tube of seam seal and seal the seams before you are out in a rain with it. Those zippers like to freeze up when they get wet and it turns cold too. I rub the dickins out of mine with bees wax. I suppect all the Amerastep blinds have those needle holes along the seams and use the same type of zippers

The above blind is 5'4" square and is $75.00 at dicks sporting goods.

The above blind is $90.00 at dicks sporting goods.

Do a goggle search to find more.

;D Al
Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.

http://oldgrumpy.fanspace.com

Offline a45gunslinger

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.zippyvideos.com/8333718701028686/000_0452/
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 02:40:57 PM »
WOW, Al that was a very helpful post!!!! next time I'm in the market for someting I'll look you up for sure..lol kinda like a personal shopper-  ;D Kevin

Offline retrieverhunter

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 05:12:17 PM »
I prefer the Pop Up ground blind for rifle hunting.
Jeff S.

Offline alleyyooper

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 06:54:00 AM »
Thing with all blinds that are not permeent is you have to set them up may days ahead of the hunt to get the deer used to them being there. Impossiable if you hunt public lands. Place them where you can blend them in with some pine trees or cover them with local flora some how.
I like to set up along excape routes best, deer do notice them but are moving along to get away from the threat behind them.

;D  Al
Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.

http://oldgrumpy.fanspace.com