Author Topic: Draaattt! My Topper Deluxe Classic Broke! #### It's fixed####  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Cvan

• Trade Count: (0)
Draaattt! My Topper Deluxe Classic Broke! #### It's fixed####
« on: November 05, 2006, 09:36:20 AM »
   We had 5 of the grandkids and one of the neighbor kids over shooting clays yesterday. What a great time. Some of the guns got so hot that we had to shut down and let things cool off. Toward the end of the afternoon one of the grand sons brought me my Topper Deluxe Classic and said it wouldn't cock. Soooo I tried it and sure enough I could only get the Hammer to pull about half way back. With the hammer back as far as it will go I turn the gun over and shook it. Turned it right side up and then it would cock again but not fire. I'm guessing that I have a broken firing pin. Anyone else run into this before???? So I stop at Wal-mart this morning to pick up a  youth in 20 guage (mine is a 20 also) but they didn't have what I was looking for. Oh well. Lot's of out of state hunters getting pheasant tags. I'm in South Dakota go figure. Wait a half an hour and can't get what I want. Now I'm going to be without my favorite shot gun for probably a month in hunting season. Does anyone know if the Classic barrel will fit on the other topper or pardner frames?
   Thanks for letting me vent.
Chris :D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Draaattt! My Topper Deluxe Classic Broke!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 10:25:38 AM »
Could be a broken lifter and striker(transfer bar), too. I keep a spare of each cuz they have a habit of breaking at the wrong time! Not expensive, less than $10 for both from H&R or Brownell's. If you do the work yourself, you'll want to read the trigger job links in the Centerfire forum FAQ and Help sticky. Or just send it to H&R for repair, they also may send you the parts to DIY, they've done it before.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Cvan

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 10:35:09 AM »
Thanks, that was quick. From what your saying,Am I correct then in thinking this may be a common problem. I really like the gun but I'm not sure that I'm willing to put up with this if it can occure on from time to time. Please tell me I'm wrong. :(
Chris

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 10:46:44 AM »
I don't know that it's happened to anyone twice, but the parts aren't very strongly built and they may get damaged by dry firing since they get whacked every time the trigger is pulled. I've not had one break on any of my H&R/NEFs, but that's murphy's law for ya, I've always had the spare parts!! Once you get it fixed, you should be good to go for a loooong time!! ;)

Tim

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 11:30:06 AM »
I  have never had one break on me either. As far as the barrel fitting another reciever you have a great chance it will fit another reciever well. Try it on any other H&R/NEF reciever you have except the rimfire or 10 gauge. It will work fine on any other shotgun or centerfire rifle frame it fits. If the barrel fits you might be able to send back just the reciever to H&R for repair and continue to use the barrel and even the stocks on another reciever until the repaired one is returned to you. Check with customer service first and explain the prediciment, they are usually very good at helping out....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cvan

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 01:32:15 PM »
   Thanks guys! I went out this evening with a large magnet and found the piece that fell out of the gun. It is a very small pin with a head on it. Like a tiny finish nail with a flat head. I'm guessing that it attaches to the transfer bar and that is why it is not coming up when the hammer is cocked. Anyway I will give H&R's service number a call tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how this progresses.
Chris

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 02:40:50 PM »
Chris,

I had the same problem with my 20 guage TDC. I took it down to just the receiver and shipped it to H&R for repairs. It was repaired in about a week. Busta recommend not to send in the hold gun because of the walnut stocks. It was cheaper just sending the receiver. As of now my TDC is still working fine.
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline Cvan

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 04:20:24 PM »
Thanks Froghunter, I did call the customer service number and that is what they told me to do also. So I boxed up the reciever and that goes out tomorrow. As far as the barrel fitting another reciever I was told absolutely not. That each barrel is hand fit to it's own reciever. So that is a lesson learned. I have to say that the new Pardners with the screw in chokes look interesting. I have never shot slugs before and had just picked some up to try in the TDC with the choke removed. Has anyone tried this in the TDC. Thanks guys for all of your help and I will be updating this. Now if I can just find one of those Pardners out here in "Cow Patty Flats" I will be good to go again.
Chris

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 04:47:29 PM »
Chris, as far as H&R is concerned, all barrels are individually fitted to frames, but if your TDC barrel locks up on another shotgun or centerfire rifle frame with no looseness and no gap tween breech and frame above the firing pin, you're good to go as long as you check latch engagement per the FAQ and Help sticky barrel fitting instructions in the Centerfire forum. Most all of us here have bought used barrels and swapped em around an don't have too much trouble finding good fits. Just don't use a rifle barrel on a shotgun frame..... for the most part, although there are some low pressure calibers that do work on shotgun frames at your discretion.

Tim

Offline Cvan

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 05:22:26 PM »
Good information. Thanks Tim. I appreciate your help!
Chris

Offline Cvan

Re: Draaattt! My Topper Deluxe Classic Broke! ###It's Fixed###
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 04:20:22 PM »
  Well I received my repaired action back yesterday and assembled the gun tonight. Seems to shoot just fine. :D There are some advantages to living out in nowhere. Step out the door and blast away. Still have the pigeon launcher set up out by the hangar so I may have to give the gun a workout this weekend. Sounds like nice weather coming up.
Take care and thanks for your input during this fiasco!
Chris

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Draaattt! My Topper Deluxe Classic Broke! #### It's fixed####
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 03:51:43 AM »
Glad to hear all is well now Cvan, and Merry Christmas....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cvan

Topper Deluxe Classic #### It's fixed#### Merry Chrstmas All !!!!!
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 03:03:16 PM »
A safe and Merry Christmas to you also!
Chris