Author Topic: what would you do?  (Read 1238 times)

Offline 10_point

• Trade Count: (0)
what would you do?
« on: November 05, 2006, 04:16:37 PM »
ok... you spend hours and walk miles scouting a good place, you go out and spend your heard earned money on matiral to build a stand there. then you spend your time, sweat, blood, and a few choice words building this stand. you get up early drive an hour to your spot and make your mile and a half to your stand only to find a for-wheeler under it and a stranger in it.... what would you do????? just wondering.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: what would you do?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 05:44:25 PM »
If on public land kick my butt for breaking the law and building a stand on public land. Then walk away and never make that mistake again. If on my own land kick the sucker out. If on land I have permission to hunt but not belonging to me discuss it with the owner.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 01:13:05 AM »
I'd do same as Graybeard.If it is on public land,consider it a hard learned lesson.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline jhm

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 03:45:36 AM »
Seems like a easy one, like GB said if on public land your loss and mistake and if on private land get the pwner involved be that you or the person who you have permission from, then call the authorities. :)   JIM

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 04:12:42 AM »
It's only deer hunting, so I'd find another spot. Nothing in hunting aggrivates me more than 4 wheelers. As I get older (60) I spend more time on woodsmanship, and physical conditioning. I have great succcess hunting way back on public, fileting whole deer to backpack... I agree with all on this. With dwindling numbers of hunters, we are in the good old days of finding hunting spots. Granted we might have to work harder to find because of development.. Part of the networking game...

Offline Camel 23

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 03:19:17 PM »
Introduce yourself to the hunter and then ask him nicely to slide over.  After walking a mile and a half you're going to need a break anyway.  Wait till he falls asleep and push him out.  Then say whoops.

Offline willysjeep134

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 05:51:48 PM »
In Michigan if you build a permanent stand on public land you have to put your name on it. You also have to remove it after season. If soebody else is in there and your name is on it, maybe a friendly conversation can clear up the misunderstanding.

I would probably lean my gun on a tree and walk over to see what was up. Of course, I probably wouldn't have a stand out, and I might just wander away and pick a new spot.

If God wanted plastic stocks he would have made plastic trees.

Offline a45gunslinger

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.zippyvideos.com/8333718701028686/000_0452/
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 08:16:20 PM »
That's really a judgement call to be made at the time. I for one don't like to get stepped on so I'll be damned If I just walk away fron it
, but i don't want to get shot either. Maybe I'd take my materials and move elsewhere. ( If I can't hunt it... nobody can) - Kevin

Offline Flyrod444

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 01:52:33 AM »
Start using tree hooks like tree trimmers or power company workers use to get in and out of your stands. Unless the guy is part limb rat he want be able to get in and out of your stand. My brother uses them even on our club when getting in and out of his stands. You need to get a good pair of hooks and practice with them and the safety belt and it is really not that hard.
Jack
It is better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!!

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 03:15:47 AM »
  That falls under the, "lesson learned "  category. 
  Maybe next time you need to buy a tree-climber set-up.

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline kyote

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 03:16:24 AM »
I would walked away in disgust.try and find another spot a fast as I could..I am sure I would have scouted several other locations before I made my stand.and headed to one of them.
my huntin rifle is safe from confiscation only while my battle rifle protects it.

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 04:01:42 AM »
On private property I would politely ask him to get out of my tree stand if he refused. I would then get back to camp as fast as I could and grab my chainsaw. Then I would go back to the tree and ask once more, get out or I'm removing the tree.
On public land - wave, "howdy" and keep walking....   

Offline wsmitty01

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 08:32:48 AM »
That's why I use climber stands!

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 02:24:15 PM »
I would be mad as a hornet, but you have to obey the law and be careful!  You never know what yahoo would shoot at you like that wacko out West that killed 4 hunters.  No deer or hunting spot is worth that.  It is a shame that so-call "sportsman" would resort to such things, but it has happened.  By the way, I've had two nice stand stolen from MY PROPERTY!  It's things like this that can limit our access, and can give our sport a bad name.  Good luck finding another spot.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 02:32:23 PM »
It's illegal to build a permanent stand in Illinois, but Ive walked up on plenty of guys that sat down in my ground blind. I would drag tree limbs and teepee them to make some cover and a lot of times someone else is sitting there. I'm not happy about it but it is public land and I chalk it up to experience. That's what I get for getting in the woods later than someone else.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline a45gunslinger

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.zippyvideos.com/8333718701028686/000_0452/
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2006, 04:06:24 PM »
K.K. I had the same thing happen ..I built a ladder stand that must have weighed 200lbs and it vanished from the property the night of the opener for bow...I'm still scratching my head about that one.. still mad also- kevin

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2006, 04:43:05 PM »
I live in north west Wisconsin. In 2004 during the second day of the gun season there was a dispute with a trespasser in a tree stand. The trespasser shot eight hunters and killed six. I knew several of these hunters very well. One was a coworker for 20 years. I am still troubled by this. I am cautious with conflict during deer season.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline HuntingGuy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2006, 06:17:43 PM »
I live in north west Wisconsin. In 2004 during the second day of the gun season there was a dispute with a trespasser in a tree stand. The trespasser shot eight hunters and killed six. I knew several of these hunters very well. One was a coworker for 20 years. I am still troubled by this. I am cautious with conflict during deer season.

Sorry to hear that... I hope that cowboy (Vang) spends the rest of his life being miserable.. Wish they could have went for death sentence on that one.
HuntingGuy
Hunting in Minnesota Moderator

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"