Author Topic: Buying meat from the farmer  (Read 634 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Buying meat from the farmer
« on: November 06, 2006, 11:25:59 AM »
Our local supermarket started selling fresh pork processed by Hormel. The meat is so salty that we cannot eat it. Remember this is fresh, raw, meat not smoked product.

A few phone calls put us in touch with a meat market that orders hogs from a farmer. We ordered half a hog. It will cost us less than supermarket pork. It will not have been cured in brine. I have had meat from that market before and was satisfied.

Have you had an experience like this, where you basically fire the supermarket?
Safety first

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: Buying meat from the farmer
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 11:59:27 AM »
  When our boys were growing up, I used to buy from local farmers regularly. Now that it's just the Mrs. and me we don't eat so much meat.
  However, when someone is butchering one of those Highlander cattle...I'll buy a quantity...especially if it has not been grain fed. That way the meat is lean and still.. uuummm !
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 12:15:52 PM »
Yeap,I hardly buy any meat from supermarkets anymore.Get a beef every year off of farmer up the road,and get one or two deer.Been thing of raising a few chickens in spring to butcher like we did when I was growing up.
The ground beef in stores is worst,can't see how people eat it lol
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 02:21:18 PM »
Actually, I grow my own beef.......and it's really cheaper than deer hunting.........
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 02:32:57 PM »
Actually, I grow my own beef.......and it's really cheaper than deer hunting.........

Have to agree with you there,and makes some fine eating,but I still like a deer to eat too.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 03:02:59 PM »
Look at what the stuff thtas in the Wal-Mart meat. There is some kind of solution in it.
[

United we stand against Ovomit.

Offline Questor

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 03:34:43 PM »
What kind of wal-mart meat is that? I know they use salt solution in turkeys as an inexpensive way of increasing the weight.
Safety first

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 04:00:20 PM »
and it's really cheaper than deer hunting.........

I don't know how it can be cheaper than stepping out my back door and walking 100 yards to a stand and shooting one. You don't need a fancy rifle, a $95.00 NEF is just fine and will last the rest of your life...  Deer are thick around here, and i can get about all the tags i want for about $5.00 each.  Best part is, i don't have to feed or take care of them all year long either...   ;D

NO beef is cheaper than "government beef" around here..   :)

Here's a pict. i took out my dining room window.  What would you like today, venison or turkey??   8)

DM

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 09:01:35 PM »
I guess the cost depends on how you hunt...  If you have to have a new rifle every once in a while ( or every year) and a four-wheeler, a pickup to haul it in and a bunch of tree stands, plus the newest camo clothes then deer meat gets pretty danged expensive.  IF you have a place to hunt and are satisified with one rifle or shotgun and can build fixed stands (or windows that open in your case) then it does indeed get cheap.  Used to hunt with a guy in 'bama who had a .30-30 that was about 50 years old and he killed several deer a year with it.  He said he bought two boxes of "bullets" every 3 or 4 years.  Sighted in and hunted with those until they were gone.  He had about 80 acres and killed plenty of venison, probably pretty cheap for him...

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 01:42:41 AM »
                        Hog is good, just make sure it`s cooked well. 
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 02:07:45 AM »
  Hey Noguns;

Hasn't anyone told that old man in 'Bama that the 30/30 is not adequate for deer ? Guess he never found out that a .300 Win Mag was minimum...just kept bringing in those deet with the old "thuty-thuty"...LOL

Back to the local farmer's meat..I haven't heard of any cases of "ecoli" or "salmonella" from locally produced meat...Hmmm
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline loaded4bear

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 03:22:39 AM »
Wife & I were also dissatisfied with "supermarket" meat. When I can't fill the freezer w/ wild game meat, we've begun shopping at a nearby Amish farmer's market. We live in NJ, but have a group of Amish that come in from Lancaster Co., PA every week & basically set up a "supermarket" of their own Thurs.-Sat. The amish food (especially the meats) is much better than anything you can buy in a commercial supermarket around here. The animals are raised w/o growth hormones & steroids, slaughtered & packaged with minimal processing. The meat LOOKS & TASTES great! All this without a significant increase in price over the commercial stores. The Amish are a very pleasant & honest bunch to deal with to boot!
NRA ( life member)
NJ Division of Fish & Wildlife WCC (volunteer)
NJDF&W Hunter Education Instructor
New Jersey State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs (member)

Offline HillBillyFarmer

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 03:19:33 AM »
Like most house holds these days money is tight most of the time, so I do a lot of bartering with fresh ground hamburg and other meats that I cut from my cows that I butcher. I have a sheep farmer down the road who I trade beef for lamb chops with and the guy that services my furnace I always pay him with about 10lbs of hamburg. He's more than glad to have it instead of the money. Around the holidays I always give the family some good stuff too. I have four guys that buy from me every year, a half a cow each. The best and I mean the very best is when the hamburg has been fresh ground and cooled not froze. It has a completely different taste than typical hamburg.