Author Topic: hunting binoculars  (Read 1550 times)

Offline RollTide

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
hunting binoculars
« on: November 06, 2006, 09:11:07 PM »
I need a binocular for hunting the desert southwest.  What type of binoculars do you use for hunting wide open spaces in the west?

Brand?
Maginifcation?
Objective lense size?
Why do you use this binocular?

Thanks in advace for your help and info.

Roll Tide

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: hunting binoculars
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 04:46:24 AM »
8x to 10x, more is almost impossible for anyone to hold steady enough without the use of a tripod. For some of us even 10x is about too much. So mostly I use 7x or 8x.

Brand? Bushnell of course. I have both the Elite 10x and their Legend 8x42 and to be honest the Legend gets used far far more than the more expensive Elite as I just prefer it. The Elite to my eyes and of those who've used it are better than the more expensive European binoculars. In fact I sold my Leica's and kept the Legend because to me it was better. It's just a bit more user friendly to my hands and eyes than the admittedly optically superior Elite.

I think the Elite is a 10x43 a rather odd objective size for sure but what they chose. My Legen is an 8x42 which to me is about as ideal a size as it gets. My wife's binocular is the one I used to use an Steiner 6x30. For woods hunting it is as good as it gets.

Why do I use what I do?

The Legend fits my hands and just feels right. The optical performance of it is at least 90-95% of what is offered by the Elite or the most expensive European brands and the focus adjustment is far superior to any of them from my experience. Everyone who has looked thru mine has been impressed and a lot of folks have bought them afterward. There are a lot of folks who are GBO members who use the Bushnell Legend after looking thru mine or just from listing to my advice. So far no one has ever said they regretted it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Doesniper

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 02:53:18 PM »
I've had decent binos for hunting since 1979 and found that you get what you pay for most of the time. The legends are hard to beat for the money.
If you are trophy hunting and will be studying antlers at long range, go with the 10x. If you're not worried about that, go with the 7x or 8x, as the 10x are a little harder to hold still. I would strongly advise against the compacts. They work find during the day but at low light they loose clairity. Over the last 4 years I've hunted with a pair of Leica 8X compacts. They have dissapointed me time and again when it gets to low light. This year I bought my last pair for the rest of my life (I hope). I can tell you that I have looked through the best and most expensive binos on the market, and among the top brands my eyes can't tell the difference. I don't think you would go wrong with any of the top brands. I chose the Swarovski EL 10X and have no regrets. They are very expensive and thats why I call them my last pair. I have plans to do a lot of hunting over the next 20-30 years, and I don't want to have binos that let me down when the sun starts to set. If you buy good ones first, they're cheaper than if you have to buy them after the lesser ones let you down. Good luck to ya.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 03:28:15 PM »
  I have Swarovski 8x30's and i've never regretted getting them.

Buy top of the line now, and have them the rest of your life...  Then pass them down to a member of your family for them to enjoy too!

DM

Offline gwindrider1

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 04:06:20 AM »
Try out several at your local retailer.  Spend as much as you can afford.  In general, you do get what you pay for for with optics.

I use 8x, but in the last few years, I have had some problems judging a rack at distance in low light. Guess I should have spent more for better quality glass.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 09:18:01 AM »
A decent spotting scope on a tripod is a good tool for judging antlers.  However, that usually requires two people, one who is content to be a spotter. 
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Suds1957

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 11:47:55 AM »
Rolltide, Take the advice on buying the last pair for the rest of your hunting life. Its GOOD advice...I wish that is what I had done!
First,I bought a pair of Redfield 10x42s, they were really nice.But ,I dropped them and they broke! Redfied is out of busniess.Then I bougth a pair of Boush&Lombs,8x42s,They were nice to! I was out in Idaho Bear hunting in 04,However, I could not see the bears in low light conditions like the guide!!!!!!.The guide had a pair of Swaroski in 8x32ss,I looked through them,could see everything!!!!!!! No glare,picture perfect.These things were GREAT.He told me they were 8-9 years old and He wouldnt use anything else.....

I think all together Ive spent around 600.00$ on the B&L and the Redfields.Last year{05}I bought the Kahles brand,8x32s,less than 500.00$ new.They are made by Swaroski,but about 2/3 the price! Same Glass,Same Quaility. And they are Great......I wish I had purchsed these 10yrs. ago, could have saved time and money..........What ever you end up with buy the best,dont settle for 2nd or 3rd choice,you will be sorry in the end.

Now, as far as looking long range? The same goes for a spotting scope.Looking through a piar of binos 6-10 hours gives me a headache in short order.
 I have a Burris 20-36x50 I belive,Its not the best,about middle optics and priced.It works alright,but I dont do that much long range spotting.Alot of guys will rig up some sort of adapter for a pair of adjustable shotting sticks or other device for thier spotting scope.It makes easier for keeping it steady and adjustable for sitting or standing.

Hope this helps.   You do get what you pay for!!!!!!!!

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 04:18:10 PM »
 ??? I like to use 10x for western hunting. I've used Nikon and pentax for the last 20 years. I was thinking of getting a new pair this year since optics have improved since I bought my last pair. I'll probably wait till Cabelas has another  big sale and  buy some then. I looked at some Leopolds that seemed decent but I need to look at more brands. I'll be getting 10x. I plan to look at the Bushnells since I like their Elite scope so much.

Offline weasel

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 04:41:04 AM »
Just my opinion, I buy the optics I can't afford. Right now I use Leica 10X42s, I wouldn't go lower than 10X, true they're not as steady as 8X, I usually lay down or find something to lean against. Lots of times I don't even get off the horse if what I'm looking at is close enough. I'm looking pretty hard at Swaroski 15X, with a tripod mount, only thing I don't like is they bounce off the saddle horn when around my neck. As for spotting scopes I started out with Leica 20-60X, good scope, now use Zeiss 20-60X, it's just a teeny bit clearer and I like the angled eyepiece better.

I guess it's a question of priorities, the wife and I live in a small house, kids all gone and for the most part weaned, my nicest truck is 14 yrs old with 190K, (half life for a toyota). The wife really spoils me, she always gets these kind of items for my birthday, CHRISTmas, anniv., etc., and we get a write-off. Works for me, would be hard if we still had kids at home.

Offline jpsmith1

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 01:30:00 PM »
While I don't hunt the southwest, I'll offer the same advice.  Buy the best glass that you can afford.  10x is probably the biggest easily handled.  I have Nikon 10x50s and love them.  I've bought a few cheaper pairs for pocket use, but wind up carrying the Nikons anyway.  Bigger is not better, no matter what you are told.

Basically, as I understand it, binoculars are for locating the game and a spotting scope is for judging individual animals.  You will use the binoculars more, so spend more there.  If you aren't into trophies, then spend it all there and save money and weight. 
Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 04:04:25 PM »
Just remember that fit is the most important.  If you can't see through them well, don't matter how great they are.
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 05:41:11 AM »
Another consideration is image stabilization, my shakey old hand sure could use that.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!