Author Topic: New H & R owner with trouble!  (Read 997 times)

Offline Breakopen

• Trade Count: (0)
New H & R owner with trouble!
« on: November 07, 2006, 10:02:39 AM »
I bought an ultra varminter 22-250 a month ago. I have always shot the T/C encore, contender. I have all kinds of barrels for my encore. In which you all know allot of money in them also. I have been checking into the H & R for a little while and got me one. Price was great! I got a whole gun for the price of a barrel for my encore. I love the looks of this gun and have wanted the 22-250 for some time. I was pumped to say the least when I got it. :o
 I got my loading manuals out and started loads for it. The problem is I can not get this gun to shot well, 41/2" group at 50 yards. Yes 50 yards. I took everything apart and put it back together using lock tight on the scope base. Torque everything to spec and took it to the range. Nothing changed. I know it is not the loads because I loaded 5 rounds each in 0.3 grain intervals from the Min. to Max. in my loading manual. Nothing would shoot in it.  :'(
I am not going to give up on this gun I just am lost on what to do. I even bought some of the David Tubb’s Final Finish and shot through it. Nothing still! I have noticed the gun barrel is wearing on the top. Looks like the barrel is contacting the breach face. The gun also opens up on almost every shot.  ???
I just called H & R and they told me to ship it to them and they would fix it. Is this common with the H & R guns. If so, I think I will just have barrels made for this one while they have it and keep it at that. I am not trying to put this gun down. I am just wanting to know the frequencies they have problems with there riffles. I do not want to have to send a gun back to the manufacturer every time I buy a new one.  :D
I am looking forward to getting this gun fixed and shooting it. I am not at all down on H & R at this point. I know everything that is made by hand or machine there is a chance something can go wrong. I will give them a chance to correct it before I pass bad judgment. Therefore do not take this as a hack on H & R. I am a big fan of break open single shot guns. Not just one brand. (Exception to the CVA I personally would not own one).
If anyone has any suggestions before I box it up I am willing to try anything. Also any suggestions on barrels for it while they have it would be appreciated. I hunt Whitetail, coyotes, groundhogs, Bobcats, and target plinking. Thanks in advance for any support on this.  ;)

Chris

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
Re: New H & R owner with trouble!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 11:35:11 AM »
 Hello Chris, First off Wecome to the wonderful world of Handis.
 There has been some that have to go back for repairs.
  when talked to them you should ask for call tag so the would take care
  of shipping both ways. I have 6 H&R/ NEF no troubles with them,
  One extra barrel will not work on couple actions. If you had all the
 you spent on T.C. in Handis you would be a true Handi-holic.
 Take care Marv.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 12:26:33 PM »
H&R's customer service is top notch and will get things squared away for you.  From time to time a gun leaves the factory with a latch that is not quite squared up or does not engage the shelf very well and the action will pop open when fired.  Sometimes the problem is as simple as debris from the machining process getting in the way and all that is required is a thorough cleaning of the action. 

How does the trigger feel on your gun?  You may want to ask them to tune the trigger for you while they have it.  This service provided for free and may still be free if you have sent the gun in for a warranty issue. Doesn't hurt to ask.

As far as barrel/caliber suggestions - where to begin?  Considering you all ready have a fine varmint/predator caliber in the 22-250 you may want to think about something for the bigger critters like the tried and true o6 or a .280 Remington if you want something a little different I think all of us .280 owners have been real happy with ours - at least I have been.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Breakopen

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 02:22:03 PM »
Brett,
Thank you for the encouragement. I am sure they will get this gun right for me. They seamed like it was no problem for them to fix it. I say they already have an Idea of what the problem is.
I will call them about the trigger. It is a rough pull. I was going to do it myself but sense they will have it I will let them do it. I am glad to hear you are a 280 fan. I love that round. I have two of them already. I am thinking of getting a 308,280, and 25-06. I was thinking about the 204 but than I thought, what will the 204 do that my 22-250 won’t do and do it better.

Chris

Offline Breakopen

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 02:39:04 PM »
Datil,
I understand about the repairs having to be done. I realize this and accept that as bad luck on my part. I always say if it wasn’t for bad luck I wouldn’t have any luck ::). I really am not sour about this. I am still pumped up about this gun. It is just hard to wait to get this thing cutting holes ;D.
 I love to shoot and reload. I have had a lot of guns and am not particular on the make as long as it performs. I have just got on the T/C kick and have been stuck there for a few years. :P Not on purpose. It is just easier and cheaper to get a barrel rather than a whole gun. If I want to try out a new round I could just buy a barrel. I know H & R do not sell barrels for the buying off the shelf but they do offer the option of more barrels. I like this and if I were to sell my encores just think of the handi’s I could get
If the gun performs when I get it back (and I am sure it will) I will have three barrels for it to start out. I am not sure how many barrels I have to get to be a Handi-Holic. I am sure that if it shoots as everyone I have talked to shoots I could be one of these in the near future.

Chris

Offline Dave Allen

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 03:46:24 AM »
breakopen...are you using new brass ?? was it full length resized ?? for kick's have you shot any factory ammo thru it ?? just to see if you still have a break open issue ??

Offline Grizz_

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 05:28:38 AM »
I have 2 H&Rs and no problems with either. Sorry you're having troubles with yours, but the factory will make it good. I know it's inconvenient, but I don't think it's the norm for their products.

Grizz
Regards,

Grizz

Offline Breakopen

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 04:23:50 PM »
Dave Allen,

I have tried everything. Factory ammo, new brass, used brass and even different case lengths. I always use full length dies. I tried to take pictures of the barrel were it is wearing to show you guys. They just do not come out clear enough to post. I have the same problem with everything I try. ??? I think it is just the lock up problem. I cleaned it and still have the problem.
H & R will be getting it to fix as soon as I figure for sure what barrels I want. I figure while they have it I might as well get some barrels and a trigger job. I can not wait till I get it back. I am the only thing holding it up. I just can not make up my mind on the barrels. These Little decisions can be hard on a man.  :-[I just might need therapy after this. Decisions, decisions! Maybe getting it back will be the therapy I am looking for. 
Thank you for your interest. I just thought there might be something I have overlooked and appreciate the time and ideas.

Chris

Offline Dave Allen

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 04:35:42 AM »
chris...i had a breakopen issue with my 22-250 when i started reloading for it...the problem was me...i wasn't resizing correctly...i had no breakopen using factory...that's why i asked...sound's like you have your base's covered...good luck to you !!