Author Topic: YEE HA...MY FIRST DEER...EVER  (Read 790 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
YEE HA...MY FIRST DEER...EVER
« on: November 08, 2006, 04:56:54 PM »
Tracker I, 20ga...from a latter stand across a small, plowed, corn field, tucked in between 2 patches of woods.  Shot was about 75-80 yards when you factor in being up on the stand. 

What a day its been.  I'm too tired and excited all at the same time.  I will try to get the pics up tomorrow.

I had no doubts about the Tracker, but I am a bit surprised at myself that I was able to make that off-hand shot.  YEE HA !!!

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: YEE HA...MY FIRST DEER...EVER
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 05:16:13 PM »
Good shootin, and congrats!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 06:55:20 PM »
Way to go!!
Anyone reading this is smiling with you   :) :) :)
Congrats!!
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline Critter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 11:45:37 PM »
Way to go!  The first one is always the most exciting.  Not that the rest of them aren't ;D

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 12:06:07 AM »
Outstanding!  Good Job!

EVOC ONE

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 12:43:30 AM »
Way to go, Cookieman!! Let me guess what's for dessert after your venison supper . . .
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 01:36:59 AM »
Congratulations Cookieman!!! Great job, now comes the tasty part, cuit it thin, cook it hot and fast and do NOT overcook it, it will so tender you will be able to cut it with a fork...(DON'T OVERCOOK!!)....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 03:07:21 AM »
Thanks for the cooking tip, Andy.  I will keep that in mind.  I have only had venison in Sloppy Joe's or spagetti, so it will also be a first for me to have it in steak form.  Thanks, again.
cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 03:25:36 AM »
OK buddy, if you realy want a great treat, slice it about 1/4" to 3/8" thin and cook it on a hot grill, propane or charcoal, either is OK. Do not marinate but you can use garlic and pepper before cooking if you want (I suggest it) salt to taste AFTER cooking, You can rub in fresh crushed or minced garlic (my favorite) or sprinkle on some processed garlic powder before cooking. It only takes about a minute or so on each side on high heat (try to cook each side just once, almost but not quite halfway through, about 1/3 through). You can cook it either on the grill or in the hot buttered frying pan but I prefer the outdoor grill if possible. Fried potatos, mushrooms, onions, and a nice salad go great with it also.

80 yards with a Tracker I, great shot and you did it without spending $18-$20 a box for sabots. These smoothbores are sure nice. What slug did you use?  Where was the hit and how did the slug perform, Did you recover the slug? Did the deer go right down or did you track a while? So many questions and so happy for you. When you get a chance let us know....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 05:07:23 AM »
Congratulations Cookieman! When you get a chance, post the pics. You were so excited, you never said whether it was a buck or doe? Not that it really matters, but we all like a good story. Never had venison backstraps or tenderloins? Oh man, your in for a treat for sure! ;D Enjoy.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 07:20:22 AM »
One thing I usually do is bring the backstraps and tenderloins home with me when I drop the deer off. That way you get them to eat right away. I get them whole, not sliced up and cut them about an inch or 3/4" think and fry some up right away. Most butchers will not complain about cutting them off while yoiu wait, it's a quick and easy job, I have only had one guy complain and I never went back to him, I never knew if I was getting my own deer meat or all of my deer meat from him, heard some questions from others about him later....<><.... :) 

Offline Cvan

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 10:18:18 AM »
I'm really happy for you. Great shot.  ;D ;D
Chris

Online Casull

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 12:39:26 PM »
Congratulations.  Critter is right, that first one is something special.  My first was a small doe that I took with a bow, and after the shot I was afraid I would fall out of the tree I was shaking so bad.  So enjoy, and remember, the next one will be almost as good. ;D
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 12:51:52 PM »
Sounds like a great first hunt for sure. And a good shot too with open sites..off hand and with a shotgun 8)
Slugs will plow em down, no doubt there.
Enjoy..

-Aaron

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 04:42:03 PM »
Congrats on a successful hunt. It does get the blood pumpin' don't it?
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun