Author Topic: What broadhead?  (Read 77813 times)

Offline woodsdweller

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
What broadhead?
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2003, 02:24:29 PM »
i have been shooting rocket mec. for 5 years and love them. they have peformed flawlessly. last year i harvested 3 deer with the buck blaster with out fixed blades it has a 2 and 3/4 cutting diamiter and all 3 droped within sight. i have used the steelhead and wolverine as well they shoot where my field points do no messing around.
located in ny love to hunt an shoot all forms of firearms.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
What broadhead?
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2003, 07:04:17 AM »
I use Muzzy 125 gr. 4 blade, my son is using Muzzy 75 gr. 3 blade. great results. On my crossbow I have 100 gr. Gator blades. They are from Rocky Mountain Razor. I don't plan on changing broadheads.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline BowMan

• Trade Count: (0)
What broadhead?
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2003, 10:23:07 AM »
:D
Hi y'all, new kid on the block (misnomer I suppose since graybeard pretty well describes me).  As to the broadhead... ask 100 hunters and you'll get 100 different answers.  Have shot deer with muzzy, thunderhead, razorbak, bear and a host of others and all have performed well when placed in a vital area.  Shot a small buck with a muzzy 75 this year and penetrated both shoulders and spine for a quick put-down with no damage to the head.  Shot a medium doe with a wasp jackhammer 100gr. mechanical (1 3/4" cut) and left an excellent trail, but needed to replace blades after sticking in tree after complete pass-through.  Both did their job.  As most have noted, location of shot is the key to broadhead success.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline Dutch/AL

• Avid Poster
What broadhead?
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2003, 06:32:37 AM »
I agree with Jlk on the Simmons Treesharks. They are a deadly broadhead that will last for years. They are a little harder to sharpen than other fixed blade heads though, due to the concave shape.

My other favorite fixed blade broadhead is the Magnus Snuffer. It is super easy to get hair shaving sharp with just a cheap $8 file, and Mike Sohm stands behind them with a lifetime guarantee. They make really nasty holes as well.

If I were shooting a replaceable blade head, my favorite has always been the Muzzy.
Sportsman 700 Twin

The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on. He took a face from the ancient gallery and he walked on down the hall.

Offline pete50

What broadhead?
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2003, 10:44:33 AM »
I shoot NAP 100g Shockwave mechanical broadheads. I have taken three small to medium size deer with them at under 20 yards with buckmaster G2 bow (nicknamed by friends as "doemaster G2" or "button buckmaster G2") at 63 pounds. All were pass throughs, one was through both shouders. One deer DOA at the hit, two others ran 20 and 35 yards. HUGE blood trail on the two runners, both fell within sight. These heads fly about the same as my field points,too. As for price, they cost  about 20.00 for three at Wal Mart, but I always wait and get them off ebay or clearance rack at walmart for about half that  :-) .  They use the rubber O-rings, but they are at the bottom of the head, not around the blades themselves. I see a lot of people use fixed blades, but I'm one of those people that could never get them to fly right, lol. I'm not an accomplished archer by any means. I am satisfied with this part of my equipment working just fine.  :D

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
What broadhead?
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2004, 07:26:06 AM »
I'm new here, but my 2 cents is they only make one good broadhead. MUZZY, also they make one fine arrow rest.

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
What broadhead?
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2004, 07:45:01 AM »
I sure do love those Mussy 4 blades for compound shooting.  For my longbow I will likely go with Magnus or Zwickey Eskimo toe blades in 125 gr. :D
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline Tad Houston

• Trade Count: (37)
  • A Real Regular
What broadhead?
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2004, 06:52:00 AM »
I use 125 gr. thunder heads, and 4 blade muzzys. I also keep a couple of buckblasters in the quiver for shots on smaller hogs and blacktails inside 25 yds. the blasters shoot to the same point of aim as the other two, but leave a GIANT hole. no more need for tracking string! Also if the shot is less than perfect, blasters get the job done. They are pretty much a one time deal though, as they get kinda tweaked after hitting any kind of bone. You also need quite a bit of energy for the BBs, but i have had very good results with them.  :D

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
What broadhead?
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2004, 09:43:30 AM »
I've had the same experience with all expanding heads.  I shoot a variety of them, the thunderheads being my favorite.  I've also shot muzzy 3 fixed blade and mangus 4 fixed blade in 125 grain.  My personal fav is any three bladed expanding head in 100 grain.  I've never had a penetration issue shooting a 68 lb compound.  In the last 2 years I've recovered every deer that i've stuck with one, including 2 that were gut shot and went less than 500 yards.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
What broadhead?
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2004, 07:25:35 AM »
I am going to give the Razorbak 100's a shot this season.  I have been using 100 grain Rocket Hammerheads for the past two seasons.  A friend of mine has had great success on two whitetails last season shooting the Razorbaks.  I wanted to try out some cut on contacts anyway and this will be an excellent opportunity to do so.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Scottyluck

What broadhead?
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2004, 06:01:28 AM »
I shoot WASP's new 100 gr Boss Bullet.  I got great penetration on a 4pt I took last season.  Had the tip go through the rib cage, break a couple of ribs, exit and pass through the opposite shoulder and stick about 4" into the ground. The broadhead was completely in tact.

Offline PASlugger

What broadhead?
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2004, 02:58:06 PM »
This is a good thread.  The best I have used is the Muzzy.  I have had countless kills with the small 4 blade 90 grain heads.  Last year I tried the  Simmons Land Sharks in 125 Grain.  They are a 2 blade head very similar to the Simmons pictured on page one of this thread, just smaller.  

I had 2 kills with them, a small doe which ran a good ways with no blood trail at all.  She was hit through one lung and the liver.  I could not track her by blood.  I ended up searching for a couple hours after dark in a field with high grass looking for signs, no blood anywhere.  I just told myself she was hit fairly well and guesses how far she could have traveled and began to walk circles in the field (golden rod waist high).  I found her after about 45 minutes.  That was experience #1, not the best.

#2, a couple days later passed through an 8-point at close range, steep angle.  Again caught one lung.  He ran off about 70 yards into the edge of an open field and stood in one place for about 5 minutes, not moving a muscle.  I had glasses on him and could not see blood.  He finally decided to start moving again, he turned, took about 3 steps and began to stumble like he was drunk.  He gained is legs and moved down the edge of the field out of sight.  I gave him some good time, tried to follow a blood trail, but not much to be found.  I found him just over a barbed wire fence dead, jumping it must have been too much for him.

I was disappointed with  the performance of this head.  Granted both were just a single lung hit, but no blood at all to speak of.  If it were not for my knowledge of the area the doe would have rotted.  I wanted a good 2 blade that I could resharpen each year and use over and over.  They fly good, a better double lung hit would provide better results for sure, but I may slide back to the muzzy once again.  They bleed good after a similar muzzy hit.  I could also try adding in the small bleeder blades to the Simmons, but they do not lock into place (a disadvantage - I'm afraid of arrow drift).

I just think the hit has to be more precise with the Simmons to get a good blood trail.  The single 2 blade design does not leave a large enough entry/exit wound from my experience to date.

Offline PASlugger

What broadhead?
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2004, 03:03:55 PM »
Oh, one additional comment on the buck.  When I gutted him he was full (I mean really full) of blood.  I'll point out again that I shot him at a steep angle - he was 2 steps off my tree :)  Point being is the exit wound was out the bottom.  Hmmm, exit wound out the bottom, arrow pass through, Lung hit,  seems like a winner to me, but no blood trail even though he was full of blood when I cut him open.  Bad marks for sure for the Simmons Land Shark experiences 1 and 2!

PASlugger

Offline e3ck

• e3customknive.vze.com
What broadhead?
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2004, 11:43:20 AM »
Rocket sidewinder, good consistancy .
Even a blind hog will find an acorn once in a while :grin:

Offline brramer

What broadhead?
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2004, 01:20:19 AM »
Slicktricks.   Awsome little broadheads.

Offline Rmouleart

• Contributor
  • Aim small hit small.
What broadhead?
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2004, 05:09:33 AM »
A couple of years ago I shot a 207pd doe on thanksgiving morning using a 125gr Thunderhead, shot was 45 yards down hill, using a spoiler at 85Pd's with over draw, free flight release, 2215 Easton traveling at 320fps, the shot was quartering away, shot went through both sides stuck in the ground, she ran twenty yards and dropped, ran in place
for a minuet then silence, caught her liver and lungs, left a blood travel like someone through paint cans on the ground, the arrow/broadhead is still good and spins true. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

P.S. I was told at the weight station to put some antlers on that doe, there was about ten good bucks there but none of them compared to my doe for size.

Offline BowMan

New Broadhead
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2004, 09:20:40 AM »
I have run across a new broadhead that is awesome!  It's called the Slick Trick.  I recently ordered some to try before the fall hunting season and they are the only fixed blade broadhead that I have ever shot that will hit the same point of impact as my target tips consistently.  They are available in 85, 100, or 125 grain.  They are shaving sharp right out of the package and are made of a high carbon, heat treated steel that lends to easy resharpening.  They are affordable at $20 for 3 heads.  I have read a few review as to their toughness and I do believe it after sinking two of them in trees after they shot through a hanging bag target.  No damage, although they were completely buried in the tree (great penetration), and were sharp enough when removed from the tree to hunt with...  Great head and great people to work with.  If you can't find them in your local proshop, you can contact Gary Cooper, owner, at 870-268-8927 or online at www.slicktrick.net .  I know what'll be on my arrows this season.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
What broadhead?
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2004, 05:56:56 PM »
I go with Muzzy 125 gr. 3 blade w/1-3/16 cut diameter.But as Will Rogers said "That's just one man's opinion"..............Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline JJHACK

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.huntingadventures.net
What broadhead?
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2004, 09:37:20 AM »
I'm too am on the "slick trick" band wagon after 15 years of Muzzy use. The Slick tricks are an awsome little head. I still like muzzy but the slick tricks are better.
www.huntingadventures.net
jjhack@huntingadventures.net

Offline Rmouleart

• Contributor
  • Aim small hit small.
What broadhead?
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2004, 03:55:39 AM »
Hey guys those slicktricks are only a copy of the Thunderheads I have been using for years. Weird looks like the same design, wonder how they got around that;) they will work well, its that solid construction that gives them great driving power for penetration, never had one fail. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

Offline JJHACK

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.huntingadventures.net
What broadhead?
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2004, 06:10:54 PM »
Slick tricks are all steel and have no aluminum. The blades lock in and are propriotory to Slick trick. Maybe from a photo they look the same but I have both here and they are not at all alike. The thunderheads I have use an aluminum ferrule and a steel tip, the slick tricks are completely machined from a solid piece of steel with two specially made blades that fit together and lock into the shaft. They cannot come loose. Also look at the blade thickness, I have not seen another blade as thick as the Slick tricks.
www.huntingadventures.net
jjhack@huntingadventures.net

Offline cam69conv

• Contributor
what broeadheads
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2004, 05:44:09 PM »
Got a new one for ya kids....Rocket's new Ultimate Steel...Now these are some little fellers With just a 7/8 cuttin diameter BUT they have .036 thick blades and Dang do they fly good....Ive NEVER had a fixed blade fly like these buggers do...I shoot at over 300fps and there is absolutely NO difference between my field tips and these...I took a Nice buck at 30 yards last year and goofed Just a little bit and caught the in shoulder...Passed through it like butter along with the off shoulder...They have a great penetration factor,,,Like I said they are a little small but they make up for it in toughness and flight....Give them a try guys...Perfect for deer  :D
You want a divorce if I go hunting today??? Well sorry ta see ya go...Was nice knowin ya..Dont let tha door hit ya where tha good lord split ya :D

Offline High Brass

• Contributor
What broadhead?
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2004, 08:22:57 AM »
Muzzy three blade 100gr.

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
What broadhead?
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2004, 06:02:58 PM »
MUZZY 3 BLADE 100gr :D
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline TomD

• Avid Poster
What broadhead?
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2004, 03:14:13 AM »
This thread couldn't have been created at a better time. I'm a first season bow hunter and up until Monday hadn't choosen a broadhead or settled on an arrow. Yikes, CT bow season opens in less than 2 weeks. Rest assured though, I've been practicing with the bow since I got it last February.

I'm shooting a 60# Hoyt Magnatech. I finally settled on the Easton T10 Quattro arrow in 2314 and the Muzzy 3 blade 100gr.

I put them together yesterday and shot them last nite for the first time. Wow, do I feel better now!!  POI is same as my field points and their very consistent. Makes a pretty big wallop compared to my field points and is going to destroy my Monster Bag in short order!!

Thanks for the insights!!

Offline DanielWGriggs

• Contributor
What broadhead?
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2004, 05:45:19 PM »
I use bear razorheads 145gr made in the late 60's. Self Bow flat style 50lbs endless string and wooden(Cedar)shafts,four fletch with Bjorn style nocks.

In the past I have used Thunderheads,Muzzy's,spit fires and a host of others with Compound bows. I just enjoy making my own, Now if I can learn how to break rocks into usable arrow heads we're talking.

Offline Big Tom

• Contributor
What broadhead?
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2004, 01:13:36 PM »
My favorite head is one that is scary-sharp, strong enough to cut bone and fly true and straight. Take any one of the many mentioned, make sure your set up is tuned and flying straight, and put your shot in the boiler room. I have been satisfied with several good heads, all "cut on contact".The best blood trails over 40 yrs were with big Zwicky Delta 4s and Muzzy 125s.

If I were to try something new I'd try Slick Tricks. :D
Tom Gursky
Northwoods Guide Service
"May all your trophies be worthy of The Book"

Offline wvbowman04

What broadhead?
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2004, 05:11:47 PM »
My vote goes to 100 gn. Slick Tricks.  They are fairly new.  A four blade head that kits exactly where my fieldpoints do straight out of the pack.  All steel ferrule and .030 thickness on the blades.  Haven't gotten to stick one in a deer yet but from what I have been hearin they are nasty.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer with his buddies for a lifetime.

This isn't a beer gut!!  Its a feul tank for a sex machine!!

Offline KYsquirrelsniper

• http://www.geocities.com/squirrelsniper/index.html
What broadhead?
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2004, 07:17:03 PM »
Right now I'm using 100gr Rocket Steelheads. My only complaint about them is that the blades aren't very sharp. Over-achievers will most likely sharpen them before they're happy, but I've used them right out of the package and they're definitely sharp enough to get the job done without any problems.

I've thought about trying Slick Tricks just to have a fixed blade head that has a reputation for good flight at high speeds, but I haven't yet because the Rockets have worked great so far.
Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.
http://www.geocities.com/squirrelsniper/index.html

Offline Daveinthebush

Magnus Stingers
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2004, 07:30:21 PM »
I just returned from a whitetail hunt in New York.  I hope NAP forgives me for not taking my Thunderheads, but I took the Magnus 125, 2 baldes with me.  I took one, 145 lb.dressed doe at 32 yards, double lunger with the BowTech Pro 40 at 285 fps.  

I found the arrow and broadhead burried in the dirt of the corn field, a little duller but still straight.  The altopsy reveiled that I punched through between the ribs on both sides.  Go figure!

Now for spring bear! :grin:
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor