Author Topic: What broadhead?  (Read 77814 times)

Offline snuffer#1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
What broadhead?
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2006, 12:47:50 PM »
I'm kinda fond of the magnus stinger 100gr broadheads. with bleeder blades! :wink:
                                                        snuffer
Anything worth learning can't be taught in a classroom.

Offline j.trevor123

• Avid Poster
What broadhead?
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2006, 07:57:29 PM »
well i love my slick tricks. 100 grns. I have shot 2 hogs and 1 deer, with great results. Also shoot very very well on paper. I like them, plus they arent high dollar

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
125 to 75
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2006, 05:37:54 AM »
I used 125 grain 3 blade muzzys for some time. Switched to 75 grain muzzys. Much flatter trajectory with the 75 grain 3 blade and great terminal performance on deer. They seem small on my full length 2117 arrows. But.. they are very accurate.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: What broadhead?
« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2006, 10:25:21 AM »
I used to be into the expandables and had very good success with them.  But tried the Slick Trick 100s and that was that.  They are the best I've shot at game and don't give anything up to the expandables for accuracy.  I've never had a broadhead that I could wipe the blood off and put back into my quiver. Always was something bend or dinged.  Shot a bear and a 12 ptr last year and it may have been w/ the same brodhead, couldn't tell.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline zermatt7

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2006, 04:03:01 AM »
Slicktrick.net

Found out about them on the A.T.  forum where they have been extremely popular for years with at least 50 - 100 actual pics of animals taken with them. I havent taken a deer yet with them but they do fly  / tune just like field points...And you cant beat their warranty /guarantee either....Their history is very interesting also....One of those 10+ year overnite successes...A labor of love by one guy determined to build a better mouse trap.

Offline sidekick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #95 on: October 03, 2006, 03:11:47 PM »
Muzzy 100 gr. 3-blade. Blackhawk shafts, Blazer vanes, Matthews Switchback XT @ 65#. Money!

Offline kenscot

• Contributor
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2006, 11:22:46 AM »
I have been using 75 gr rocket mini blasters but was thinking of giving the slick tricks a try. Has anyone tried the 85 gr. heads ? I am not sure if I want go with them or move up to the 100 gr heads.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2006, 04:28:27 AM »
I have been using 75 gr rocket mini blasters but was thinking of giving the slick tricks a try. Has anyone tried the 85 gr. heads ? I am not sure if I want go with them or move up to the 100 gr heads.

Why so light Ken? Are you shooting low # on your bow and light arrows?
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline kenscot

• Contributor
« Reply #98 on: October 12, 2006, 03:09:32 PM »
I am shooting a bowtech tribute at 60# and using radial x weave 300's I was shooting lighter carbon impact arrows with my old bow with my old bow I have thought about moving up to 100 gr heads but I'm shooting really well with this set up right now but I am open to suggestions

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2006, 09:38:27 AM »
Not sure what your radial x 300's weigh per inch, but I shoot Maximas and I think they are 9.8gr/in. and I shoot the 100 slicks.  I guess I would go and get some 100gr field points and see how your bow responds.  My opinion is that the extra 1/8th inch on each blade is worth the extra 15gr of weight as long as it flies.
Buckskin

Offline nabob

• A Real Regular
« Reply #100 on: October 14, 2006, 06:03:30 AM »
G5 Strykers. Used to use Muzzy three blades, couldn't get them sharp enough without a lot of major work. The G5s are extremely sharp right out of the box.

Offline kenscot

• Contributor
« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2006, 10:18:17 AM »

I am pretty sure the radial x weave 300's weigh 8.4 grains per inch   
Well I'll be damned ! I tried a couple of 100 gr field points and they shoot to the same point of aim at 20 yrds as do the 75's  :o I suppose I will see the fall of trajectory at 30 but did not have an chance to try it decisions decisions

Offline tim45680

« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2006, 05:38:00 AM »
G5 Montec

Offline dbknj

« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2006, 11:06:23 AM »
I just shot a nice sized 4 pointer here in NY with my Reflex Grizzly and Razorback broadheads.  He didn't go 50 yards before he was in a heap. Can't really say much more than that.

Offline HuntingGuy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2006, 04:58:39 PM »
Slick Trick 100gr. Mags
HuntingGuy
Hunting in Minnesota Moderator

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2006, 07:28:11 AM »
I am reiterating my pleasure w/ Slick Tricks again.  Shot an 8pt on saturday.  Dead in less than a minute and ran < 60yds.  Blood trail a blind man could have followed.  The broadhead after breaking 2 ribs and exiting went right back into the quiver w/ no sign of being shot.  I have 3 Slick tricks (100 Mags), 2 of which have new blades, even though I sharpened the old ones and they would work fine.  I have shot 2 bucks and a bear, breaking bones and ribs on every shot and you can't tell one tip from the other.  No animal went beyond 60 yds and lived longer than a minute.  In the past I have never been able to reuse a brodhead, ever.
Buckskin

Offline jpsmith1

• Contributor
« Reply #106 on: December 10, 2006, 06:45:47 AM »
Does anyone still shoot Zwickeys?  I used to use them after an bad incident regarding a miss with a Wasp 100 or 125 (I forget) I jumped up to Zwickeys and re-tuned my bow.  I really don't know what they weigh, but my bow shot them well. 

I'm planning on getting back into the game after about a 10 year absence and am looking into the new equipment that is available.
Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....

Offline Rem270

Re: What broad head?
« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2006, 11:47:13 AM »
I like the G5 it a 3 blade and one piece i also would also like to try the Silver Flame it a one piece two blade

Offline sportyg

• http://www.hhh-usa.org
« Reply #108 on: January 05, 2007, 12:17:52 PM »
Slick Tricks 100gr mag.  They fly great and kills them dead..
Gordy (sportyg)
FBM: Hunters Helping Hunters (HHH)
www.hhh-usa.org
MBR:TRCP
LM:NAHC

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
« Reply #109 on: January 30, 2007, 02:07:29 PM »
I used the Rage two-blade mechanicals this year with good succes. Flies great, and slices a two-inch hole. My deer went less than 20 yards.  I like the fact that they do not require O-rings and are open when they enter. They fly to the same POI as my field tips. 

Offline terryfcampbell

• LOOK OUT BOYS, THEY'RE SHOOTING BACK!!
« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2007, 01:18:14 PM »
Be using Muzzy's for years, haven't let me down yet!!! ;D
LEARN  FROM  THE  MISTAKES  OF  OTHERS.   YOU  CAN'T  LIVE  LONG  ENOUGH  TO  MAKE  THEM  ALL  YOURSELF

Offline ronbow

• Contributor
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2007, 07:49:21 AM »
NAP Thunderhead 85 and 100s for years. Gonna try the Cabelas clones as they are a very good buy if they perform.

Offline KP

• Avid Poster
« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2007, 06:11:32 AM »
Yeah, the newer Cabela's broadheads (FX-3s) look good in the catalogs, but the older FX-3s didn't impress me. The tips were screwed into the ferrule with a short and small diameter shaft. They would bend pretty easily with quartering shots. It's worth taking a look at the newer ones though, $19.00 for 6 broadheads...

I've been shooting 100 grain interlocks lately. Plenty of penetration, strength, and sharpness, even after several shots into 5/8" plywood. Also, $36.00 for 6, that ain't bad either.

Offline IL-Cornfed

« Reply #113 on: June 15, 2007, 02:45:04 AM »
For a mech b-head, it's go no better than a Rocket Steelhead 100

For a fixed blade b-head than my vote goes to the wicked lil' Slicktricks!
An archer tries to see how far away he can get from his target and still connect, a "Bowhunter" tries to see how close he can get to his.

Offline gt2003

« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2007, 06:01:21 PM »
I'm shooting the Vortex 100 grain expandables in either the 1 1/2 inch or 2 inch cut.  I've killed 2 deer with the 2 inch cut and 2 hogs with the 1 1/2 inch cut.  They shoot great and have been deadly so far.

Offline Daveinthebush

« Reply #115 on: August 03, 2007, 04:39:13 AM »
Can't believe this post is from 03.  I said then, Thunderheads.  Well times change and now I shoot Slick Tricks.  I love them but they are a little light at 125 grains.  They need a 150 or so for heavier game like moose and brown bears.
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #116 on: August 23, 2007, 06:12:12 PM »
POST EDIT

Grim Reaper Razortip 100-gr

http://www.grimreaperbroadheads.com

Offline gube

« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2007, 04:44:10 PM »
Have used many different heads since 1986. Settled with thunder heads for many years. Tried a few mechanicals and was not happy with their performance Lost a 4 pt bull elk using a Nap 2 blade spitfire. Blades did not open. I shot this bull in early September and the neighborhood butcher got him with his rifle in November. He said it had a collapsed lung and was quite sick.
After that I switched to 100 gr muzzy 4 blades with great success. I may try the slick tricks.
Here's a link to a fella that does quite a bit of testing on broadheads. Interesting reading.
http://www.american-hunter.com/broadheads/broadhead_test.htm

aim small miss small
Savage Vaporizer

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #118 on: September 02, 2007, 01:07:32 AM »
Have used many different heads since 1986. Settled with thunder heads for many years. Tried a few mechanicals and was not happy with their performance Lost a 4 pt bull elk using a Nap 3 blade spitfire. Blades did not open. I shot this bull in early September and the neighborhood butcher got him with his rifle in November. He said it had a collapsed lung and was quite sick.
After that I switched to 100 gr muzzy 4 blades with great success. I may try the slick tricks.
Here's a link to a fella that does quite a bit of testing on broadheads. Interesting reading.
http://www.american-hunter.com/broadheads/broadhead_test.htm

The link is a great site as stated.

Since there are so many broadheads available you have to make a good choice for the results needed to harvest your game.

Another test that one can do, is what a friend of mine did.  Of course he has the capital to have went out and purchase all the broadheads he could find.  Then comes the scale, and a fresh deer hide, elk hide and bear hide as these are the three biggies here in Montana.  After placing each broadhead on a shaft the hide was placed over the tip and presure down on the hide to see just how much poundage presure it took for each broadhead reviewed.  A few cut on contact broadheads only needed approx 4 pounds of presure.  But many needed up to almost 8 pounds of presure to penitrate the differant hides.

When selecting your broadhead make a good choice and don't skimp because of a blowout special at Wal-Mart or K-Mart because they are clearing them out.  I heard great things about the Muzzy broadheads, but I wouldn't use them for nothing in the world simply because they are flat out to hard to assemble putting the blades in place.  But of course this is my opinion, and hope it doesn't upset the Muzzy followers.  We all have our prefered want, and when selecting the G5 Striker I have no regrets about doing so as I have one harvested whitetail buck down and can tell you the Striker performed just as the guy's stated at "Spirit Quest Archery" said they would.

I of course have now selected a differant broadhead to use, and will see if they preform better than the G5 Outdoor products that I have used in the past.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #119 on: September 04, 2007, 03:39:35 AM »
Another kill for the Slick Trick. Put the arrow back in my quiver and aside from a blood, you couldn't tell which tip had been shot.  That's 5 animals with the same 3 broadheads.
I wish I would have taken a picture of this guys lungs.  They were practically indistinguishable. 
Buckskin