Author Topic: Handi-holicism -- How It Works  (Read 430 times)

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Handi-holicism -- How It Works
« on: November 10, 2006, 04:46:30 PM »
First you develop the liking of the simplicity of 'tip-up' single shot rifles. You take a look at the T/C G2 Contender and reject it because you have to special order it and accept anything that gets shipped loose or tight. And the price hurts too! Then you discover at Bass-Pro your first Handi. It doesn't look as fancy as  a G2 Contender but it costs less----allot less. It clearly is a respectable piece of work for the money so what have you got to lose? You buy it and mount a scope on it and try it with strange results. You find this forum and start reading about all the fixes and mods/methods and get stimulated to try some yourself. After trying lots of ammo and a few mods you get a receipe that consistantly shoots to POA and less than 1 MOA. You buy a SB1 410 shotgun for $159.00. Works good right off and tight as bank vault. Then you get interested in the .204 Ruger but don't want to commit to an expensive CZ or other bolt action and the tip-up rifle still is' intawesting'. So you can't find a another Handi anywhere so you go on line and meet someone across the country who knows where to get one and he graciously offers to  go to the store for you to check out the tightness of the fit and have the store hold it for you. Then you order it in mail order. FIVE days later the gun arrives all the way from western Canada( where the attitude toward guns makes more sense). You decide to dress it up with Cinnamon Camo stocks from Brownells--- and what you get is a gun that looks  really very very NICE. I put a Bush. Elite 3200 4x-12x scope on it. You get Redding neck sizing dies.

I will be getting to work on reloading when I get back from deer hunting. I am thinking why don't I get a Handi for deer hunting?? You see what is happening to me??

McLernon

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
Re: Handi-holicism -- How It Works
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 05:15:53 PM »
heheh i like that ,,, how true how true ;D

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 05:18:46 PM »

Hello McLernon You said like true Handi-holic Talks You are becoming one now!
 Good luck with your deer hunting, Marv.

Offline acloco

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 05:52:17 PM »
Welcome to the club!  You are on the first step.  Too bad this plays out like the movie "Ground Hog Day"!  LOL!

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 06:06:21 PM »
Eh McLernen.
You ought to be a poet. Get that 204 shooting and let us know how well it shoots?

What all you had to do to get that lami stock from Brownell, any hick ups?

I am just about done deer hunting, one more to go maybe next week.

Where do hunt deer, I used to hunt around Sherbot Lake and Kempville and in the Gatineau Hills North of Ottawa. Lots of deer around Lac Pemichangan. Killed a Moose west of Kapuscasing. I worked in Cornwall for two years on the big Robert Sanders Power Dam. I am a dam man
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 07:01:48 PM »
Well said, McLernon!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 03:41:26 AM »
Hello Fred M.:

I had no trouble with Brownells but it took about 5 weeks to get here. I leave tomorrow for Haliburton On. Me and my son will be hunting just north of the town. The last two years we took three bucks so we have high hopes. I hope it's snowing up there and not raining. We have been getting allot of rain.

Regards

McLernon