Author Topic: Euroarms Rogers & Spencer  (Read 2351 times)

Offline Cowpox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Euroarms Rogers & Spencer
« on: November 11, 2006, 09:57:29 AM »
For years, I have looked at advertisments for the Rogers and Spencer, and wondered why anyone would be willing to pay something over a hundred dollars more than the 1860, 1851, and 1858 clones, for such a homely, clumsy looking revolver. At a local Gun Show this summer, I had a chance to handle one.  On picking it up, it became apparent that the old saying "Form follows function" is the driving force behind it's design. Those silly looking grips with the overly flared lines, fit my hand like I was born holding the thing. The clumsy looking ramming system, in spite of using pivot screws, rams balls with less effort than the "creeping" systems on my 1860s and 1861 clones. While I find the hammer to be a bit hard to reach for cocking, the smoothness of the action more than makes up for the long reach. For me, it is the most natural pointing cap and ball revolver (my apologies to my 1851s) I have, and shoots nice tight groups at the 25 yard line. I only played with it for about 30 seconds before reaching for my billfold, and since buying it, my other 8 cap and ball revolvers have stayed in the cabinet.  I'm sure not trying to talk down the other designs, just wondering if anyone else has one, and likes it as much as I like mine ?
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline mykeal

• Avid Poster
Re: Euroarms Rogers & Spencer
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 01:18:03 PM »
Cowpox,

I have 2, one that I shoot regularly and another that I'm holding back on in the event the other "wears out". One, the shooter, I bought assembled in 1979 and have used pretty regularly since. The other is in kit form.

Like you, I find it fits my hand marvelously, is a fine, balanced weapon that's as accurate as I can shoot, and a pleasure to use.

Offline LEE3370

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 01:15:02 AM »
Howdy,
I also have two of the sweet things and since getting them, have shot no other. I thought they were smaller than they are. I had never had one in my hand until I got one off Gunbroker. One of them I shoot 45 long colts and the other is for balls. I don't see good enough any more to shoot for groups but I have a ball making the cans and bottles bounce.
Lee

Offline Flint

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 03:41:15 AM »
As different as it may look, the Rogers and Spencer accepts the Remington conversion cylinder by R&D, as you can see in Lee's photo....
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline long

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 04:09:27 AM »
There's a guy on line that provenanced one to actual use in the civil war.  according to some sources, about 800 of them were sold commercially in the 1860s. in addition to the 5,000 or so that went into storage and were sold to Bannerman's in 1901.  This makes them more interesting from a historic perspective.

Replicas are made in Germany for Pedersoli and by EuroArms on the old Armi San Paulo machinery.  There appears to be no reliable distribution within the United States.  Dixie gunworks lists both the parts and the revolver but do not have the guns in stock.  I back ordered one and it will be interesting to see if and when it is delivered.

Offline LEE3370

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 08:33:51 AM »
Howdy Folks,
If you are looking for a Rogers & Spencer, try here:

http://www.snsfirearms.com/

Good people, and the last time I checked they had them in stock. When I priced them, they were a lot cheaper (about $100.00 cheaper) than Dixie.  Quick on parts also. Have had everything I needed.
Lee

Offline mykeal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 01:28:27 PM »
Howdy Folks,
If you are looking for a Rogers & Spencer, try here:

http://www.snsfirearms.com/

Good people, and the last time I checked they had them in stock. When I priced them, they were a lot cheaper (about $100.00 cheaper) than Dixie.  Quick on parts also. Have had everything I needed.
Lee

Didn't find anything on that site about Rogers & Spencer revolvers. Or any other black powder weapon, for that matter.

Offline LEE3370

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 01:51:16 AM »
Howdy mykeal,
Go back to their website.
Down load the catalog.
The picture of the Rogers and Spencer is on page 58 and the price is on page 59.
Or e-mail them with what you are looking for and they will reply. They are pretty fast at repling.
They have a LOT of blackpowder arms and supplies. The revolvers they sell are Euroarms. I was searching for Euroarms revolvers when I found them.
Anyone interested in Civil War stuff should check them out, like I said, they have a LOT of stuff. Reenactors should love this site.
I am on a dial up and the 184 page catalog took a while to load, but it was worth it.
Good Folks, too.
Lee

Offline LEE3370

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 02:06:50 AM »
Hey Folks, :-[
POOOOOP and DANG IT. :-[
I posted the wrong site address. :-[
Beat me with a wet noodle. Withhold my coffee.
Try this one:

http://www.ssfirearms.com/

Sorry about that. :-[
Forgive me, please.   groovle, groovle, beg, beg. :-[    :-[     :-[
Lee :-[

Offline LEE3370

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 03:53:57 AM »
OK, me again.
I justed downloaded the 2007 S&S catalog. Rogers & Spencer is $291.00.
Glad I got mine this past summer when they were $220.00.  ;D

http://www.ssfirearms.com/images/07%20Cat/SS0752-67.pdf

This is the link to the arms.
Lee

Offline LEE3370

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 06:58:13 AM »
And the R&D 45 Long Colt conversion cylinder is available here:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=733548

Lee

It is just that I enjoy these so much.

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 05:04:22 PM »
Thanks for all the replys and information guys.  It seems that there is a lot more interest in the Rogers and Spencer repros than was apparent. I think I will follow the lead of myKeal and Lee3370, and get another one. Also, Thank you Flint, for the heads up on the Remington conversion cylinder fiting the R&S. I never would have thought of trying it, but you are correct. It fits right in.  As soon as we get a nice day, I will be out shooting .45 Colt in it.
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline Hixly

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 08:16:50 AM »

A friend picked a Rogers and Spencer up recently . Never fired the thing yet . It is a large revolver and it does point well . Interesting info .

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 12:04:58 PM »
I have one.  At first I tried a rather light load and it shot a group that looked like a skeet choke pattern.  Needless to say I was dissapointed.  But I upped the load into the medium range and it began to shoot the way it should and I could seriously threaten a man at 100 yards with a round ball.  So mine doesn't like light loads but then every gun is a rule unto itself.

Offline long

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2006, 11:13:19 AM »