Author Topic: what went wrong??  (Read 755 times)

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
what went wrong??
« on: November 11, 2006, 12:40:39 PM »
  My 2" groups from my 35 whelen have turned into 2 FOOT (well,not really) groups. I went to the range today to make sure the sights were on and practice a little. The bullets were all over the target!! I went to another gun and shot a 1 1/2 inch group with it,a 6mm AI. Shot some fireform loads thru the Whelen.then tried for another group.Same pattern.. I'm going back tommorrow with some UNaltered 358318's loaded the same . If they pattern I cant take the gun to Maine Friday! I checked my notes and did the same to these bullets as when I got the 2" groups,It's the SAME alloy from the original alloying session. I make at least 20 pounds at a time.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: what went wrong??
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 12:47:23 PM »
Sounds to me like the scope went on you or the base/rings are loose. I'd start there before blaming gun or loads.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Sir Charles deMoutonBlack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 02:44:33 PM »
Try cleaning the barrel

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 06:33:00 PM »
Sounds to me like the scope went on you or the base/rings are loose. I'd start there before blaming gun or loads.

My thoughts too.

Offline jhalcott

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 06:00:37 AM »
 I checked the gun inside and out .I got a little lead in the bore near the muzzle.The scope is an older redfield,the bases and rings SEEM tight. MAYBE some thing inside went up .I have another Redfield that went up after 20 years and Ironsight repaired it.

Offline Castaway

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 12:37:29 AM »
If it's a lever action, check the tension on the fore end stock screws.  Snug them, but don't over do it. 

Offline jhalcott

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 06:23:17 AM »
  Does it make sense to think the WEATHER may have a hand in this? When I got good groups the wind was from my 6 oclock.About 10 mph or less ,fairly steady. The temps were in the 70's. Saturday the wind was from my 1-2 oclock and gusting from about 10 to about 20 mph. Temps were in low 60's. These FLAT nosed bullets start at 1995 and 200 yard velocity is not known. Could bucking the wind drop the velocity enough to make the bullets act like knuckle balls?? I did NOT try for a 100 yard group as they were having a sight in/qualifing day at the range.

Offline jhalcott

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 09:36:03 AM »
  took the whelen to the range this morning .61 degrees SUNNY ( supposed to be cloudy),and a 5 mph wind. The first 3 rounds went into a 5" spread.The next ELEVEN rounds were under 4"! The last 5 were around 2". I shot a 5 shot group of Rn's (same mold  but unaltered bullets) and got a 2" group!
  It doesn't seem logical to me that the bore NEEDS that much "seasoning" to shoot good . I know some barrels shoot better when a little dirty but ...... :o