Author Topic: curious as to fair value of an old cva .70 cal cannon?  (Read 1851 times)

Offline tallpaul

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
curious as to fair value of an old cva .70 cal cannon?
« on: November 11, 2006, 03:01:06 PM »
it is mostly here with the carriage and barrell etc... missing the ram rods etc. Any idea's Any demand? I like it but haven't shot it and the girls I know aren't crazy about the cannon in the living room....  :o not sure why...
Jesus Loves You.... right now just as you are.

Offline jeeper1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: curious as to fair value of an old cva .70 cal cannon?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 03:15:43 PM »
Pictures would be helpful. If you are planning on selling it, I may be interested.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 07:46:34 PM »
Maybe you should meet some different girls.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline tallpaul

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 12:01:40 AM »
Ggaskil.... I understnd the girl comment. I have tossed more than one good girll when she had a hissy about "what do you need them/all them for?" Not even a second thought! Especially at my age they likely will have kids- they really don't like it when I say you get rid of yours and I'll get rid of mine ;) Actually it is really more of a personal examination of myself. While I like alot of different things and really like this cannon I really NEED to thin the herd. I am not much on "public display" anymore and my storage is limited. I have not fired this gun in over fifteen years that I have had it. It is big enough to be to big for my small house to display "right"  Now the two unfired shiloh sharps that I have had for about 10 or so years are not goin anywhere :)  I would like a bigger cannon one day eventually but here and now. I will likely turn this into other needed gear- IF I talk myself out of it. Ya know I really may need it one day...

The good news is I just aquired a mill ,a lathe and several other tools and a storage room is being converted into a machine shop- now what would a guy do with machine tools....

Jeeper I will try to get some pics up today sometime. Thanks

Offline bpsteve

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 02:32:36 AM »
tallpaul,
Why don't you sell me the Shilohs and keep the cannon?
Steve R
AZ.

Offline tallpaul

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 04:20:39 PM »
tallpaul,
Why don't you sell me the Shilohs and keep the cannon?
Steve R
AZ.

They were ordered BEFORE the quigley movie and BPC craze . Six of us from the gun club ordered them and we waited and waited. when they came due my father could not afford the one he ordered. I bought his too. #1 sporters heavy barrel with pewter tips and nice wood.... I would rather keep them. I will get a mould soon. I like BP so these should be sweet to shoot. And they are SOOO purty!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 06:26:09 PM »
Paul,

Put the gun up in the attic untill you get the girl issue sorted and can return to important issues.  (Looking over my shoulder to make sure the wife isn't reading this.)

Offline tallpaul

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 02:47:29 AM »
Paul,

Put the gun up in the attic untill you get the girl issue sorted and can return to important issues.  (Looking over my shoulder to make sure the wife isn't reading this.)

I don't care who you are- THATS FUNNY!  ;D

Offline tallpaul

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 03:03:47 AM »
she needs a good cleanin and some paint actually. And the two ram rods...

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 04:49:20 AM »
Impressive. That's bigger than I was expecting it to be. Could you supply some dimensions for it please. Length of barrel, wheel diameter, width and overall length and maybe weight.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 05:34:42 AM »
As to a fair value.  Generally speaking value may be a relative thing.  If you are the seller what is the least amount you would be willing to sell it for?  If you are the buyer what is the most you would pay for it? (basic free market supply and demand).   

I have seen firearms at auction go for 3-5 times their value, and also know of firearms that were sold at give away prices.  I go back to what a gunsmith friend of mine once said about putting a price on some firearms I wanted to sell.  His advice was put a high price on them, if they sell you make a good profit, if not six months from now you will still have them and you will probably want to keep them anyway (you can never have enough guns).

I would put a high price on it and see if it sells.  You can always lower your price if you really want to sell it.  If you are looking for a starting point, go to the websites that offer cannons for sale and see what kind of price they are asking. 
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline tallpaul

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 08:12:45 AM »
artilleryman- I am well aware of pricing gobly gook...

I did search and found a similar product from dixie... http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=1673

though they are a plated gun.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 06:24:04 AM »
I've got one of these .69 cal. Napoleons I picked up sometime in the late 80's when they were being distributed in America by CVA. The Artilleryman is dead on though, I've seen them listed for a wide range of prices on various different sites. On Guns America for example they're usually being listed in the 500-something to 700 dollar range. I've also seen them on some so called "high class" sites; antique arms dealers and the like, where they're asking close to a thousand.
E-bay, which I'm sure your well aware, is a world unto itself, is another story. As a matter of fact, on an auction that just ended a couple of days ago, a seller had one up for auction that was about in the same condition as your's. The gun was missing the implements, some carriage hardware and had some rust, it sold for 128.00. Generally speaking, right now, these guns are selling on e-bay for anywhere from 2 something to 3 something.
If I was going to sell mine, I'd take the route of going through one of the stores. They'd be getting their 15 or 20 percent off the top but I would still come out ahead.
I can't remember which one it is but either the Antique Cannon Superstore or Cannon Mania displays a contract on their web-site. I think it's Cannon Mania but I'm not sure. Anyway, in the contract he states that he gets 20 percent of the sale price, he pays for all shipping costs and you can advertize on any other site you want to as long as you don't undercut the price your asking for on his site.
It was the Antique Cannon Superstore I was thinking of and now the seller in most cases pays the shipping charges. Cannon Mannia asks for an e-mail request to get the details for selling on consignment through  his site.

John
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.