Author Topic: Magna-Port - Thoughts on same from Users  (Read 1435 times)

Offline good2goNC

• Trade Count: (0)
Magna-Port - Thoughts on same from Users
« on: November 12, 2006, 10:17:41 AM »
I am interested in having a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Magnum Magna-Ported. I reviewed their web site and am confused about cost but I can sort that out with them directly. My question here is the Magna-Port worth the expense for a hunting handgun and how does the venting affect a scope mounted on the barrel. My SBH is 7.5 inch barrel and I suspect that after I scope it (next week) that the vents for Magna Porting will be just forward of the scope mount.

I know the Magna Port makes the recoil less or perceived as less and that the gun will be a lot louder in the field.

Should I? Or Pass? Thoughts, opinions, experience with same etc etc etc.

Thanks a Million (I didnt win the lottery so dont expect anymore than a Thank you)

Offline Questor

Re: Magna-Port - Thoughts on same from Users
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 05:29:00 AM »
I've decided not to have my 44s ported. The recoil isn't as disturbing to me as the blast, and magnaporting doesn't do anything to help the blast. My understanding is that it doesn't make it worse either because there's already a lot of blast from the cylinder gap and muzzle. It doesn't seem to cause problems with scopes so long as the bell of the scope isn't right under the port.
Safety first

Offline Broom Rider

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 10:57:53 AM »
I had my 8 & 3/8" S&W ported with only 2 ports and mounted a 1.5x4 Burris on it. First thing I got to do was figure out how to clean the lens off without damaging it. Then I did something not well thought out and shot lead bullets in the gun and the lens on the scope was really a mess then.
I have guns both ported and not and like them all.
If you're going to have the front of the scope near the ports I think you'll have trouble, but perhaps not.
As far as recoil reduction......I don't notice much if any but there is a bit less muzzle jump.
If it was my gun with the thought of mounting a scope I think I'd leave it alone.
Good luck!
Lynnie, NRA Life Member

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 03:26:05 PM »
Hi All,

Respectful disagreement if I may.  I'd say do it...though...scope mounting position is certainly a consideration.  I suspect that if you mount your scope on the frame and not on some cantilever mount or close to the ports, you may have a problem.  Also, I have a unscoped predator and it's front sight is always blackened after a few rounds.

I've had Mag-Na-Port predators and stalkers.  I've also had a number of rifles done...all .300win and greater.  I like it and have it done on 44s and the like.  I do feel some (though not great) recoil reduction and significant reduction in muzzle rise.  I think this is important, so, I do it.

Please solicit other opinions, or better yet, try to find someone at your gun club that has one done and try it.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline MS Hitman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 02:11:14 AM »
I have a Predator and Stalker.  The only reason they are ported is the porting is part of the conversion package.  Yes, there is a definite reduction in muzzle jump; 44s do not recoil to the level I find objectionable nor adversely impact my shooting.  There is no way I would port a .454 Casull as they are loud enough without it. 

To date I have had no problems with the scope mounted on my Stalker, but it was well thought out by the Kellys.  At some point in the future, I may try to find an old M629 with the long barrel and have it converted to a Stalker. 

I will echo the advice of others and suggest you shoot one or two before having the work done.  Once you cut the barrel, it's done and replacing the barrel is the only way to undo the work.

Offline slim

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 09:03:37 AM »
I bought a mountain gun (.44 mag) and sent it out for porting and at the time porting was all the rage, BIG mistake, especially if you shoot with others.
This gun is loud to the shooter when shooting it, down right deafening to anyone along side.
 The blast effects shooters two lanes away,to the point they shoot in between my shots,some people leave if they can't get far enough away.
I usually bring more than one gun to range session,and will put it away out of courtesy to others, when the range gets busy.
GOOD LUCK !

Offline nrifenbark

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 04:49:03 PM »
I have a 5 1/2 inch barrel Ruger .44 Mag that really was not a lot of fun to shoot due to recoil and abrasion on my index finger from the trigger.  I had the trigger radius'd by Mag Na Port and the barrel ported.  Now it is much nicer to shoot.  The felt recoil is maybe 10% less and the trigger is now comfortable.  I like it.  The sidearm is not scoped so I cannot comment on that issue.

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 11:47:59 AM »
i think that if you hold the revolver with a minimum of 'squeeze' on the grip, with a bend in your elbows that you'll see recoil matter less to you.   i put Hogue monogrips on my revolvers to help with recoil; but grip technique and letting the revolver roll with the recoil is very important.

i would not port a revolver for the same reasons noted by those who didn't like it above.

good luck,

ss'
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 01:33:17 PM »
I had my Ruger Super Blackhawk with 7.5 inch ported by a local gunsmith. There has not been any problems as the ports on mine are alongside the front sight. I have a Burris 1.5 X 4 scope mounted on mine after having it drilled and tapped for the scope mount. The way my ports were cut in was the gunsmith measured the length of a 240 grain Hornady XTP bullet that I normally use and moved the ports back that length and they are right alongside the front sight. That gives the same length  of barrel as bullet length before exiting the barrel. I shoot some pretty stiff reloads in mine and it sure made a lot of difference on the recoil as it was more manageable for me, but porting makes the muzzle blast somewhat louder.

A trick on shooting hot loads is how you hold the grip also. You have to hold high and let the pistol rock back in your hand. I tried the Hogue grips and didn't like them as they still caused my hand to ache by the backstrap of the pistol exposed. I put my Pachmyar grips back on and like them a lot better as they cushion the imapct more than the Hogue grips did for me. Anybody need a good set of Hogue grips for a Ruger Super Blackhawk, I''m willing to do a little trading for something I can use.
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 01:39:14 PM »
Well, I'm a beliver in Mag-na-porting.  I have many guns that are Mag-na-ported and I love them.  I do know it cuts down the roll of a single action quite a bit.  I once had a 1911 (my son owns it now) that I had sent down to Ken Kelly to have the lightwt. frame hard chromed for me.  He asked if I wanted anything else and I said 'whatever you think'.  Well, it came back with the sides of the stainless slide jeweled and ported!  I had that gun sighted in to POA and after porting it shot 5" low, so I had to change out the rear sight.  So porting definately works.  Besides, Ken Kelly is a fine craftsman and does excellent work.  I prize my Mag-na-ported guns.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2006, 03:39:03 PM »
I bought a mountain gun (.44 mag) and sent it out for porting and at the time porting was all the rage, BIG mistake, especially if you shoot with others.
This gun is loud to the shooter when shooting it, down right deafening to anyone along side.

Ditto

Well said.
The recoil of a 44mag is manageable without porting, especially on a 6" + barreled handgun

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2006, 04:15:46 PM »
I opted not to Magna-Port my Super Blackhawk after installing some Hogue grips on it.  It truly made that revolver a heck of a lot more manageable.  I've shot everything from your standard 240's up to 305's no problem.  I think it would be something to consider if I were going to be shooting something larger than a 44 mag.

Offline Ahab

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 06:06:00 AM »
MagnaPorted my .44Mag SBH 7 1/2" and .44Mag S&W29 6 1/2". No scopes. It certainly helped felt recoil and recovery on the SBH, while not so apparent on the S&W.
NRA Endowment
Arizona Bighorn Sheep Society member
Arizona Antelope Foundation member

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 01:38:44 PM »
I have a 7.5" SBH that I am considering to cut down to 4 5/8' and have  the MAG -PORT people work it over. It does not seem to be a good piece to trade up to SBH Hunter model for the $$ dif. As I have a Redhawk scoped model now. Could be a good carry piece.
Jim

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2006, 07:23:33 AM »
Jim'

i have a SBH in stainless, 7 1/2" barrel that to me is almost everything that a single-action can be.   i have re-worked the sear/trigger just by putting thumb pressure on the hammer and then tripping the trigger to smooth out the metalwork.   it works when done a few times over.   

if i was going to re-work a single action right now it'd be to put a Bisley grip on it.   that's all i'd do with my SBH.   the triggers i have seen on single-action Rugers have usually been good with a spring change from Wolff Springs if they even needed that much.

what do you mean by "good carry piece?"    if you mean concealed carry -- why not go with an sp-101 Ruger in .357 magnum to get a real hideout with power?

take care,

ss'   
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2006, 08:32:42 AM »
The biggest thing I have are my .44 mags, however, I have played with really big boomers that friends own: .454, .475, .50 DE. I have never fired anything yet that really needed to be ported. I have one ported gun, a Colt .357 that came that way from the factory. Again, it's not really needed. Now I can see the reasoning behind porting a big kicking rifle, because it's making contact with your body, and it hurts. However, if a handgun is making contact with your body, ya just ain't holding it right!  ;D Since your head is probably what's gonna get hit, it might just knock some since into you—at least make you concentrate on your shootin'. So naw, I wouldn't bother with porting it. Especially not a .44.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2006, 11:25:28 AM »
SS
I refer to a carry piece as in the field hunting. I carry a 5.5" Redhawk now but it seems a bit heavy, and does have a bite in the recoil. A less than 5"SBH ported would be nice I think. For concealed carry I use a 2" 44 sp that is ported.
Jim

Offline EdK

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 03:20:57 AM »
I think it works best in controlling muzzle flip. Also I think the best application is for improving repeat shot timing in a double action revolver. If one was hunting boar or in a self defense situation, keeping the muzzle flat/level is important.

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 04:12:20 PM »
SS
I refer to a carry piece as in the field hunting. I carry a 5.5" Redhawk now but it seems a bit heavy, and does have a bite in the recoil. A less than 5"SBH ported would be nice I think. For concealed carry I use a 2" 44 sp that is ported.
Jim

Jim,

can you legally hunt with that SBH if it's cut down to less than 5" in barrel length?   in Ohio that's the minimum.......5".     i have seen excellent accuracy out of a 7 1/2" - barreled RedHawk, but the 5.5" is appealing as well.    i agree, however; the RedHawks are heavy.

considering the power that is achieved with a little extra barrel length in the .44 mag', do you really want to compromise that and do you want to shorten-up your sight radius that much?   

i hope to hunt whitetails this next week in Ohio with my 7.5" SBH.    i'm glad to have that extra length in the sight radius.

BTW: a 2" .44 Special with heavy loads should be one heck of a 'closer' when the negotiations get rough!
i hope you never have to use it; but it's a good item for such procedures.

ss'