Author Topic: Beginner Binos?  (Read 469 times)

Offline jpsmith1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Beginner Binos?
« on: November 13, 2006, 02:17:02 PM »
Does anyone make low powered binoulars anymore?  I was in K-mart looking for a little pair for my 3 and 5 year old boys and couldn't find anything less powerful than 10x except for a 7x-16x zoom pair for about $60 which is more than I want to spend for a kid's first pair.  I seem to remember 7x35s being good enough back in the day.  My 10x50s seem puny anymore when you can get 12x and 16x binos at Kmart.

I do understand that my Nikons will usually beat a cheaper pair of binos in optical quality and image clarity, but, as I said, I'm looking for something for my boys.  Heck, a 4x pair would work if I could find them.
Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....

Offline EsoxLucius

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Beginner Binos?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 04:21:59 AM »
A cheap pair of 7x35mm is about it I think.  Low-power binoculars are really a specialty niche so you're gonna pay about $300 minimum for them.  You might want to consider the Bushnell PermaFocus 7x35mm binoculars for a kid.  $50 and they don't have to play with them a lot to focus them.  However, they don't focus below 50 feet.  Otherwise, Nikon Action 7x35mm binoculars are $60.

Four power? Cheap? http://www.opticsplanet.net/konus-binoculars-living-2075.html
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 11:24:35 PM »
At Walmart I found some Tasco or similar brand mini binocs for about $11 each - for my boys 4 and 8.  I would not buy $300 binoculars for my rambunctious boys. As they get older and learn to take care of stuff I might find some $100 level optics but my boys are happy with the bargain basement binocs I gave them.  For important viewing opportunities I let them look through my binocs (Nikon Travelites - soon to upgrade to Leupold Katmai).
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Questor

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 08:39:55 AM »
We've used cheap Tasco 8x compacts from Wal-mart. They are junk, but they are better than nothing. They're such a hassle to keep adjusted.
Safety first

Offline jpsmith1

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 01:51:11 PM »
Thats kind of what I ended up with.  A 'sports afield' pair of 8x21 compacts.  I actually bought 3 pair.  One for each boy and one for dad.  Makes more sense to keep a $10 pair in the truck getting beat up than a $150 pair.  Not as good as my Nikons, but good enough most of the time.

Of course, after I bought them, I found 4x25s or so at toys-r-us of all places.  I think they were Tasco, but I'm not sure.
Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....