Author Topic: Ruger Old Army as first?  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Smokepole cowboy

• Trade Count: (0)
Ruger Old Army as first?
« on: November 13, 2006, 03:51:37 PM »
I want to get my first cap and ball revolver.  I am not new to black powder, but have never shot a revolver.  I am hooked on the black powder.  I no longer carry a centerfire rifle.
I am considering a 7 1/2 barrel length Ruger Old Army in stainless with adjustable sights.  I am not looking for historically correct, just a dependable accurate gun. 
Any thoughts?
Thank you.

Offline R.M.

Re: Ruger Old Army as first?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 06:18:56 PM »
Smokepole

I own 2 ROA's because I believe them to be the best on the market by a long shot.

Just tellin' it as it is.
R.M.
The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 02:10:05 AM »
If you want a dependable and accurate gun, you want a Ruger.
Then, after a while, if that walnut and brass gets looking good to you, get a Pietta or Uberti for you second pistol, and buy an extra hand spring and main spring, you will need 'em.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline Chris

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 02:02:21 PM »
Ditto...Ruger.

Strong, accurate and dependable!

...Chris   :D
"An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike!" Spiro Agnew

Offline Plink

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 05:00:49 PM »
I can't think of a more durable or reliable BP revolver than the Ruger. It'd make a great first revolver, or tenth!
Mike

We have enough youth. We need a fountain of SMART!

Offline Fiveshooter

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 12:15:14 PM »
Another "YES" vote for the Ruger Old Army ;D
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level then beat you with experience." Not sure who first said this,but it makes sense.
Best Regards,
                   Billy

Offline Smokepole cowboy

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 01:59:56 PM »
Thanks everybody.  I plan to pick one up this weekend.

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 03:11:46 PM »
I have one for sale, Check your private messages

Offline darrell8937

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 12:11:24 PM »
the only reason not to buy a ruger is the historical  reason. Ruges ar just a black hawlk converted to black powder. strong, reliable and adj sights(most models), They are the standard. I wish someone else would build a strong modern front stuffer to compete. The itilian repros  are fun. but not practical.  The only down side is the price. as much as a center fire. actualy more. they hold their value.

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 12:25:10 PM »
I love my Ruger, but even shooting 320 grain 45-70 slugs with full loads of powder, they just aren't for whitetails.      I really wish they would develop a cap and ball revolver with a longer frame and cylinder, sort of a magnum load gun.  Perhaps bump it up to a 50 (49 caliber so .495 balls could be used)     An older  acquaintance has a 58 cal English (or Irish) cap and ball revolver (in terrible shape and missing many parts).  Maybe we could get the Italians to run off a few hundred good copies.       

Offline darrell8937

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 03:51:51 AM »
There is a company that converts the Old Army to a 50 cal(.490) wit a five shot cylinder and bores out the chamber for a larger powder charge, I am racking my brain to remember the name. Dave Clements or something like that. looks like jusy what you are looking for. Here it is!

http://www.clementscustomguns.com/handguns/ruger.htm

50 Cal. Ruger Old Army:  This is a 5-shot conversion of the Old Army to .50 cali.  Gun will shoot .490" round balls @ 1250 fps and a .488" dia. bullet @ 1150 fps using Hodgdon's Triple 7 powder.  Standard features include an oversize 5 shot cyl. made to fit your individual gun, 6 3/4" full octagon barrel with integral front sight base and dovetailed sight blade, action job, and reliability modifications.  We pioneered this conversion and it is only available from us.  Accuracy will put some centerfire guns to shame. Bullets are available from Mt. Baldy Bullets.  Stainless guns only.  $995 or  $1400 on our gun.

Click on an image for a larger view

50 Cal. Old Army Conversion & cylinder with bullets 

Offline Fiveshooter

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2006, 03:23:42 PM »
There is a company that converts the Old Army to a 50 cal(.490) wit a five shot cylinder and bores out the chamber for a larger powder charge, I am racking my brain to remember the name. Dave Clements or something like that. looks like jusy what you are looking for. Here it is!

http://www.clementscustomguns.com/handguns/ruger.htm 

Or Here:

http://imageevent.com/fiveshooter/ccgoa

Or Here:

http://www.gunblast.com/Cumpston_ClementsFugett.htm

"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level then beat you with experience." Not sure who first said this,but it makes sense.
Best Regards,
                   Billy