Author Topic: Optronics Scopes Need advise  (Read 951 times)

Offline prairiedog555

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Optronics Scopes Need advise
« on: November 14, 2006, 07:26:33 AM »

Saw an Optronics scope in catalog, thought it was just another cheap scope, but then I read that it has (fully multicoted lens) just like Leopold, Monarch ect.  Also advertises that they have the best waranty in business, full replacement even if you "drop it in the creek, step on it, run over it, whaterver" they will replace it. Also is a mill dot.  3x9x40 for $46.  I know cheap scopes are expensive in the long run, but sometimes you get lucky.
So, anybody have any input?

Thanks

Offline EsoxLucius

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Optronics Scopes Need advise
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 10:00:47 AM »
There is glass and there is glass.  There are optical coatings and then there are optical coatings.  There are manufacturing processes and then there are manufacturing processes.  There is a reason that scope costs $46, and it ain't because it is good.
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.

Offline 379 Peterbilt

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 10:00:59 PM »
Well put, Esox. Funny and so true

Offline prairiedog555

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 08:44:28 AM »
I believe that may be true, about the coatings ect.  but every once in awhile you get lucky, like when toyota was thought to be cheap junk, or when computers keep getting cheaper, or when that beautiful girl came up to me in a bar and told me I was handsome, (long time ago)  sometimes good deals do come along.

So, has anybody ever seen one or used one?

Offline nrb

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
OK advice coming
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 02:42:00 AM »
I suggest a $46 experiment. Buy the Optronics scope and mount it on a heavy centerfire, a shotgun or a frontloader. Fire a bunch of loads (about 30) to test its reliability and function. If it works and holds up well, let us know. I have seen too many less expensive scopes  fail when used with heavy recoil. Some fail no matter what.
best,                nrb

Offline prairiedog555

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 03:36:56 AM »

actually I was going to mount it on a Mini 14, or maybe a .308 handi.  I think I will give it a try.  I figure they are made offshore but their distributor is in Muscogee OK.  If I have to I will drive down there if it is crap or don't honor warantee.  Will let you Know.

Offline Dennis17

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 07:23:24 AM »
     I bought two of these scopes, except they were the 6x-24x power. Mounted one on my Model 70 .223 WSSM and the other on the wife's Ruger M77 Ultralight .243. I am very dissapointed with them. When sighting in I kept adjusting the windage and kept hitting the same place. Finally I decided to tap the scope. After hitting approximately four inches to the right, at 100 yards, four consecutive shots my fifth shot hit over a foot to the left. This was bad enough but the glass is terrible to look thru at med. to high power magnification. From what info I can find on scopes and form my own opinion I will be in the market for a Bushnell Banner, Trophy or Legend. I already own a Bushnell Elite 3200 in 3x-9x and I really like it. I wanted to have a little insurance with something that would hold up to my .300 Win. Mag. I went with the cheaper scopes for the other two because I knew the recoil wouldn't be a problem but the workmanship, glass, etc. was bad on the Optronics. Just my experiences. Hope this helps.

Offline prairiedog555

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 10:13:05 AM »
thankyou, I was just going to order one today.  That is why this site is so valuable.  I too will opt for the bushnell legend.  I have one in 3x9, it is very satisfactory, I wanted a scope with a mil dot.  I will order the 5x15 legend, it has mildot.