Author Topic: Strolling up Lexington ave.  (Read 1138 times)

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
Strolling up Lexington ave.
« on: November 14, 2006, 03:03:24 PM »
Here's  a picture I took on my cell phone camera while walking up Lexington ave on the Eastside of NYC in a small store front antique shop. At the time the shop keeper look busy,so I didn't bother asking about the book... I plan to drop in some time next week hopefully I get get some history on it and maybe get more pictures like this to post here..

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Strolling up Lexington ave.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 03:51:08 PM »
WOW!

be still my heart!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Michael Az

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 04:07:08 PM »
I love history! That may be a really good book. I wonder if it is all cannons.
Michael

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 06:24:49 AM »
yep!! I felt the same way when I walk past the store front window. I could not resist,  I grab my cell phone and took the picture...I actually went back last weekend to find the shop closed. I'll be in that area on weds. I stop in ask a whole lot of question and see if their be more picture to be had...Hopefully I'll have some good stuff to post..

later,
Ed from NYC

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 07:27:31 AM »
  Ed, when you get in the store, find out the date of the first printing; it would be interesting to know.

John
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 02:13:59 PM »
maybe find out the title, author and how much he wants for it?

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 05:09:18 PM »
Ok Guys I writing down your question for the shop keeper... Hey Rickk if the price is right, do I get 20% commisson off the top ;D Hopefully  I'll all the answers and plenty of Pictures to post...

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 02:32:44 AM »
Ya, you get 20% if the price is right... but it won't be I'm sure  8)

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 01:03:36 PM »
Finally had the chance to get up to antique shop on Lex. The owner of the shop was not in, but the person working this day had a small amount knowledge about this book . The small amount I did gather was it's early 19 century it had vary of prints of weapons, tools and machines of that era. It was valued at $1,200.00 dollars.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 03:36:14 PM »
can you try getting him down to 20 dollars?

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 04:53:29 PM »
I would love to know the title of the book - publisher - author.  Would make researching it in a library easy.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 04:49:33 AM »
Thanks, Ed. By the way the store had the book displayed and the plate that was shown in your photo I was guessing that this book was an original printing. If you do get back to the store and get the authors name and books title, with the number and quality of libraries you have in your city you'd probably have the best chance of locating a copy. If you do this, you know the next step would be to mosey on over to the Xerox and start doing a little freelance reprinting of the plates of artillery that you find of interest.

John
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 06:35:41 AM »
The other thing to do  once we have the Author and title is to go www.abebooks.com and sse what you can find there.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 08:03:26 AM »
Placed a call to Betty Jane Bart antiques and was able to get alittle more info the book in question... The author Diderot Or Didetrot (French Encycolopedia of Science plubished in the 1730's) If you have any further question you call @ 212 410-2702... hope this had be helpful

Ed

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 10:01:56 AM »
No wonder the book's tagged that price; come to think of it , it might be a reasonable price. Denis Diderot was one of the finest minds in france in the 1700's. Like the person told you over the phone, this book is one of the volumes of his ' Encyclopedie '. He's basically singlehandedly responsible for the form of the modern encyclopedia.
The books text isn't going to do us any good, at least it isn't going to do me any good as I can't read French but the engraved and/or etched plates of artillery certainly would be fascinating to look at.
This book may never belong to any of us but it's content already does. 75 years is the longest possible term of copyright in the U.S., so everything published before 1931 is concidered to be in the public domain. If you have the energy and inclination, I still think you'd have the greatest chance of finding a copy at the N.Y.C. Library. I'll bet that right about now your starting to regret that stroll down Lexington. My best bet would be the main branch of The Chicago Public Library, Im going to call and check it out.

John

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2006, 04:31:31 PM »
Here is the hit list from www.abebooks.com Quering Diderot and key word sicience.  Diderot hit list French Encycolopedia of Science

I don't know if hit list stays up after the query window is closed, if not just query the book youself.  You can buy individual reprints of each volume  for as little as $3.70 plus shipping or the complete set of 35 volumes first editions for  $79974.68.. shipping is $11.84 with in Danmark.

Encyclopédie ou Dictionnaire des Sciences, des Arts et des Métiers, par une Société de Gens de Lettres. Mis en ordre & publié par M. Diderot, de l'Academie Royale des Sciences & des Belles-Lettres de Prusse & quant à la Partie Methematique, par M. D'Alembert. 35 vols. (All). (Text 1-17, plates 1-11, supplement 1-5, Table Analytique et Raisonnée 1-2).
DIDEROT, (DENIS) & (JEAN LE ROND) D'ALEMBERT. 
Bookseller: Herman H. J. Lynge & Søn A/S (ILAB-LILA)
(København K, ., Denmark) Price: US$ 79974.68
[Convert Currency]
Quantity: 1  Shipping within Denmark:
US$ 11.84
[Rates & Speeds] 
Book Description: Paris & Neuchatel, 1751-80. Folio. 35 cont. uniform full calf with 6 raised bands on backs, creating 7 compartments. Backs richly gilt and leather-title-labels in respectively red, green and brown. All backs with a discrete round library-stamp in leather (same brown colour as bindings). Some corners bumped and some capitals a bit worn. Hinges in between with traces of use, so cords occationally showing, but all bindings are tight. Internally clean, though some times a few brown spots. All in all a very well-preserved and good set. First edition with all plates, all half titles, all errata-leaves, all Avertissements, the full-page engraved frontispiece in vol.1, printer's devices on all title-pages. (Complete as seen in Lough: "1. The Paris-"Neuchatel" Folio Edition."). TEXT: 17 Tomes. Paris, Chez Briasson, David, Le Breton, Durand (1-7) & Neufchastel, Chez Samuel Faulche (8-17), 1751-65. PLATES: Recueil de Planches sur les Sciences, les Arts Libéraux, et les Arts Méchaniques, avec leur Explication. 2885 Planches. 10 Livraisons ou 11 Volumes. Paris, Chez Briasson David, Le Breton, Durand, 1762-1772. SUPPLEMENT à l'Encyclopédie, ou Dictionnaire Raisonné des Sciences, des Arts et des Métiers. 4 Tomes. Amsterdam, Chez M.M.Rey, 1776-77. SUITE du Recueil de Planches, sur les Sciences, les Arts Libéraux, et les Arts Méchaniques, avec leur Explication. 244 Planches. Paris, Chez Panckoucke, Stoupe, Brunet. & Amsterdam, Chez M.M.Rey, 1777. TABLE ANALYTIQUE et Raisonnée des Matieres Contenues dans les XXXIII Volumes in-folio du Dictionnaire des Sciences, des Arts et des Métiers, et dans son Supplément. 2 Tomes. Paris, Chez Panckoucke. & Amsterdam, Chez Marc-Michel Rey, 1780. A complete copy with all 3129 plates, as stated on title-pages. Some plates are double, triple and quadruble, and are counted as respectively 2, 3 and 4 plates, in accordance with the tables of contents in each volume. "A monument in the history of European thought.Each volume as it appeared caused a sensation throughout Europe.; the number of subscribers, originally one thousand, rose to four thousand. In 1759, the seven volumes so far published were banned by the French Attorney-General and condemned by the Pope. But a rising young publisher, Charles-Joseph Panckoucke (1736-98), continued the work until 1780. By that time at least seven pirated editions of the Encyclopédie had been published in Geneva, Berne, Lausanne, Yverdun, Lucca and Leghorn. The Encyclopédie of Diderot and d'Alembert remained, and remains, unique." (Printing and the Mind of Man. Nr.200). Lough, John, Essays on the Encyclopédie of Diderot and D'Alembert. pp. 2-15. Bookseller Inventory # 20769