Author Topic: Which Caliber Would You Recommend??  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Lawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
Which Caliber Would You Recommend??
« on: April 21, 2003, 09:37:13 AM »
Was asked a question last night by one of my employees.  He already hunts deer with a 6mm Rem. but seeing he got a nice tax return he is going to get another rifle and he wanted to know what I would recommend for something larger to cover larger game.  He's wanting to hunt Alaska, Canada and most other western states.  I told him I would post his question here and let him know.  My thinking is to go with the .338 Win. Mag. considering he is talking about hunting Alaskan bears.  So what do you recommend?  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2003, 11:53:42 AM »
Lawdog, you seem to have more guns that some small countries.  I would imagine he couldnt go wrong with your opinion :)
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 08:07:38 AM »
longwinters,

You could be right.  I've been told that I have more than my share.  My problem is once a rifle or shotgun reaches my home it doesn't ever seem to leave.  In over 40 years of buying, trading and building firearms I've only sold a few.  All of my firearms have memories attached to them and I hate to let go of a memory.  At least my wife understands my illness.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2003, 09:25:09 AM »
:D Lawdog, sorry about your illness.Perhaps we could start a support group. I think many here suffer from that chronic illness.
 A few alternatives your friend might consider would be 300WSM or 35 Whealon or 35 Whealon Improved. I generally use a 30.06 but I'm not hunting big bear. :biggun:

Offline shb

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2003, 02:47:42 PM »
Well whats been in his "gotta have" folder for the last year? Everybody that likes guns has one at the top of their list. There isn't a land animal you can't kill with a .338, if you practice and learn how to shoot. What does your friend want?

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2003, 03:18:40 PM »
He is really just getting started building his own firearm collection.  So far all he has is a Ruger 10/22 that I helped him customize.  His 6mm Rem. M700 BDL and a older 12 ga. M870.  Right now he wants to go to Alaska to hunt big bears.  He has seen my bear trophies and he wants his own.  I told him a .338 WM would be a good choice for anything Alaska had to offer from sheep to bears.  The kid is an excellent shot and has a cool head on his shoulders.  The hunting bug has bit him bad as he would rather hunt than chase girls.  Strange for a kid that's only 20 months out of the Navy.  Lawdog

Offline shb

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2003, 07:46:12 AM »
Well then, how about a light handy 338 short magnum with a muzzle brake and a decellerator [sic] recoil pad. Topped by a leuopold compact scope.  That would be a heck of a weapon.  That may not be a commercial round yet, but it shouldn't be to hard make if your already a reloader.  And as long as were wishin, how about a jewel trigger and a benchrest quality barrel.    Now I have a new one on  my wish list.  You workin for the rifle makers or what.

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2003, 09:18:57 AM »
shb,

You workin for the rifle makers or what.

I wish I did.  I believe that company employee's get a good discount and that would save me a bundle.  Lawdog