Author Topic: H&R WISH LIST  (Read 46458 times)

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: H&R WISH LIST
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2006, 06:13:44 PM »
In the spirit of the thread title, wish list, I would WISH to see these: 223AI, 257Roberts AI, 25-06AI, 6.5-06 AI, 280AI FOR SURE,
                                                                                               35 WhelenAI (much better shoulder design than 35Whelen)!!!

Yes, I know those are not likely, but the thread is about a wish list & after all another company thinks enough of these to offer them
in a custom shop, DID I SAY CUSTOM SHOP, what a concept!!

Oh yea, 9.3X62

And now for those chamberings/barrel lengths which should be offered but for some weird reason are not:
243, 270, 30-06, 22-250 & 35 Whelen in 26" barrels, I mean what's up with this. These rifles with a 26" barrel are the length of a 22" bolt gun & they aren't too long, so what's the deal, why not get the ballistics & the gun is still light. Other current offerings could benefit also, but these the most. Why in the world does NEF not know this when another company is selling 28" tubes like hotcakes!

New Chamberings
6.5X55, 260 , 7X57, 444, 405, 338-06A-Square, 338 Federal. These barrels should ALL be offered with a 26" barrel. Both these &
the rounds I mentioned that are already offered but adding a 26" Barrel WILL work if NEF markets these properly. A serious shooter who may for some reason want a shorter barrel can have a gunsmith cut it to ANY legal length they want & have it target crowned for a very low price.

To appeal to 2 different price sgments, they could keep the std.NEF pretty much like it is except a little more care in the fitting, but
make the Ultras a little nicer with a small price increase, I don't think that would effect the Ultra buyer much.

They should have a website that sells instead of tells & only tells part of what is available. I don't know if they have a Rep. who makes the shows or promotes to big retailers face to face, I have never seen one. They should have mag. advertising that promotes the product, current adds are not agressive enough.

I see NEF as a Sleeping Giant who could be movers & shakers if they come out of their slumber.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2006, 07:07:15 PM »
As was discussed in another thread, this is a thread to place any thoughts, wishes, improvements you'd like to see, new products, whatever, relating to NEF/H&R, similar to what was done over a year ago in this thread-

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,64281.msg389265.html#msg389265

I don't know what if any outcome there was to that input, but I have been conversing with a fellow at Marlin that oversees NEF/H&R.  Once this thread takes off, I'll send him the link. 

What makes you think he doesn't already knows what is being said here :D ;)

Mac

You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2006, 03:23:24 AM »
steel trigger gurd&forend spacer as standerd, buff classic and target model. longer  length of pull  with octagonal barrels and better rear sight  like the mva rough&ready sight better qualty control . heres a pic of the mva sight,they now come with a two screw fixing.
bernie :)

if its feral its in peril

Offline Rangeball

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2006, 03:43:23 AM »
As was discussed in another thread, this is a thread to place any thoughts, wishes, improvements you'd like to see, new products, whatever, relating to NEF/H&R, similar to what was done over a year ago in this thread-

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,64281.msg389265.html#msg389265

I don't know what if any outcome there was to that input, but I have been conversing with a fellow at Marlin that oversees NEF/H&R.  Once this thread takes off, I'll send him the link. 

What makes you think he doesn't already knows what is being said here :D ;)

Mac

Now, nothing :)

Offline hellacatcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2006, 03:53:51 AM »
The Miiss Diana Lynch that was brought up early was supposed to carry a wish list to H&R. She said she had some kind of influnce. Not to heard from in over 15 mo.'s is a long illness.
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2006, 03:56:02 AM »
I also agree with Bernie, a BC with steel spacers and trigger guard, or even brass ones 8), and octagon barrels..... I'm a target shooter/varmint/ deer hunter, not a cowboy action shooter.
But I could NOT pass up a beaut like that! Colored receiver with brass trigger guard and forarm spacer complimenting the black walnut stock, and a long sleek octagon barrel.... and all for under the $400-450 mark... I'm drooling ;D

Offline cowboyup453

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (82)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2006, 04:20:45 AM »
a Costom shop would be good ;D How about shorter barrels like 18" as well as the longer barrels
laminated thumb hole stock from the factory would be nice also

Offline pshaw

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2006, 04:37:56 AM »
What I've always wanted.  A 30-30 superlight barrel with open sights leaving a 5 1/2 to 6 pound rifle.  Yep it would require a different forearm to match the slimmer barrel contour.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2006, 12:23:34 PM »
  There are some things  I would like to see:

#1) Barrel interchangeability: I would like to see barrels made truly interchangable (ala TC) That way our local dealer could stock up a batch of barrels (.243m,30/30, 25/06, 30/06 ,.308, .44mag etc) in the fall for big game season, then come spring the dealer could set aside a batch of varmint barrels (.22Hornet, .204, .223, 22-250 and again .243 etc).
  If that were available, who knows how many barrels I ( or many others) would now own ?

# 2) Steel trigger guards would be nice, as an option. Of course, if I wanted one, I would forge it..but I know many folks don't like plastic trigger guards.

#3) Seems like much more could be done with stocks..more diversity in laminates, perhaps a stock that has a recoil pad that slides in and out 2" on a couple dowel rod-like rails..so some of our rifles could be shared with our youngsters.

#4) Calibers; .32 H&R Mag, .35 Rem, 7X57 and one non factory that seems very popular, the .357 Maxi.

#5) Perhaps a "premium" model with special, exotic stocks, sights, trigger guards & other fittings..using premium barrels..would have to be researched as to demand..

What do I like about the NEF/H&R ? :

a. Simplicity of design

b. Ease of maintenance

c. Single shot challenge

d. Multiple barrels for any given base.

e. Lightness of some models for a "walking about" rifle.

f. Availability of numerous calibers.

In any case, I am a long time owner/user..although I have just 4 actions and 7 barrels at the moment; I have owned many more over the years..starting in the 1970s.
     NEF and H&R will continue to be favorites of mine...even if they stay pretty much as they are..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2006, 02:35:46 PM »
My biggest wish is for H&R to keep doing what they do best , make a good , solid Ameican Made gun that just about anyone can afford .
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline hpdrifter

« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2006, 06:29:23 PM »
I would like to see a REAL Buffalo Classic.  Have the receiver top Octagonized to match an octogon barrel.  Also have the 38-55 barrel match it.

Have the receiver also just a bit deeper, for more heft, with a bottom barrel latch.

Also, like others, would like a couple more inches of barrel length on many calibers and see the transfer bar system disappear so a set trigger could be used.

Swampman

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2006, 12:52:08 AM »
I think a .30-30 with an 18" barrel would be cool, and also a .50-70.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2006, 11:36:24 PM »
 I agree with swampman, that some of the low intensity and handgun cartridges could use shorter, handier barrels. My Shikari .44 Mag would be a handier "woods carry" with an 18 inch barrel.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline DanielWGriggs

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2006, 03:26:47 AM »
A few of the military calibers, chambered correctly would be nice. 7.62X54R, 8MM, .30-40craig, come to mind. I would also like to see a 44mag in correct bore size. How about a .45auto barrell and some of the other pistol calibers.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2006, 01:33:32 PM »
Get rid of the transfer bar, a hammer gun does not need it, and then a new hammer.

Offline jmckinley

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2006, 05:38:00 AM »
 :D I haven't posted here in months and thought it was about time to do so. Lost my Mom in Auigust and things have been a little off these past few weeks. So  much for that but how bout all with 26" tubes, 257 Roberts, 6.5x55, 375 Win, 7x57. Those rounds sure would be nice for a guy who thinks a 22 LR has to much recoil. Although I love my 3 1/2 Mossberg 835..    Jess
Jess

Offline xhare

• A Real Regular
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2006, 10:46:06 AM »
I would like to see shorter barrels in pistol calibers like the 44 mag.  I think calibers such as 45 acp and 9mm would be cool fun guns.  I, like many, would like to see a different hammer made so that we could mount scopes on low rings.  I would also like to see more of their current offerings in stainless as well.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2006, 07:12:15 AM »
A single Shot HANDGUN.
I have heard that they have made them but I can find no proof.
Anybody ever found one?
Also, Classic calibers (32-20, 25-20, 25-35) and some wildCats
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline mt_jeep

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2006, 07:26:53 AM »
 Pretty much everything on my list has been said except that H&R SMOKELESS Muzzleloader.

Offline Skwerlhunter

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2006, 12:36:22 AM »
          What I can't understand is why some of the Handi's have open rifle sights and some don't. I think this would enhance the looks of the Handi's and make them look more like rifles than shotguns. I would like to see the Williams type open rifle sights on the Handi's. Thanks.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2006, 11:22:21 AM »
Wouldnt it be a hoot if they started what Remington did and offer a new/different/highly requested caliber every year?? 

With fancy lam or walnut stocks and in a Ultra type format?

They could chamber it for about anything and call it limited run or some such thing!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2006, 04:36:34 PM »
I would actually like to see this too...hey...they might actually do them nice enough that calling them "Ultra"...might actually mean it... this time around...just like when they made bolt guns...

Mac

Offline myarmor

« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2006, 06:39:51 PM »
What gets to me is that they drop a caliber in just a few months of even being avaible.
 Take the 7.62x39
Many have their own takes on this caliber, and on NEF/H&R making them. Still, after only being offered for only the first half of the year, they pull the plug on it.....impatience anyone ??? ??? ??? ::) ::) ::)
This is kind of a different case, with a slightly offbore diameter -though from what I hear shoots .308 bullets well...- , and lack of being able to use Wolf or other Surplus ammo. Most people wanted this caliber barrel to shoot this kind of ammo...as do many pleas for the Ol' 8mm and 7.62x54R. Not that these aren't capable or proven rounds by any means in a handloaders eyes.
7.62x39 ammo works great in SKS's and Ak's, and sadly the ammo is getting harder to come by than use to, with some what inflated prices. So without this barrel even being offered an entire year, they drop it?
If any thing, make a batch of barrels in this caliber, and offer it only through the barrel accessory program ...like the 357Mag or 450 Marlin.
Is it just me or does this just make sense?
Am I off base here?
Is it an issue of space to store them untill orders are fulfilled??
How large a space would it take to store 50 or even 100 barrels?

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2006, 04:43:02 AM »

Is it an issue of space to store them untill orders are fulfilled??
How large a space would it take to store 50 or even 100 barrels?

It's not an issue of 50 or 100 barrels Arron...I believe the break point is 500 complete units....Right now as it stands...NEF outsources many of it's barrels to be done...and if a company cannot produce them they way  they want them and for the price the they contracted for...they'll drop them..I don't know if they will ever grow big enough to do all of their own...One can only hope they do..or atleast contract with with a company that will produce the barrels within the SAAMI spec's for it...for any limited runs they put in the barrel accessory program..

Mac

Offline myarmor

« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2006, 07:12:55 AM »
I see. Ok so I guess 50-100 is a little small ;D
So it would be more of a problem getting the out sources..like Green Mountain..to make smaller runs in less than 500?
Who else do they out source to other than Green Mountain? Does Marlin make any barrels for them?

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2006, 06:10:22 PM »
I see. Ok so I guess 50-100 is a little small ;D
So it would be more of a problem getting the out sources..like Green Mountain..to make smaller runs in less than 500?
Who else do they out source to other than Green Mountain? Does Marlin make any barrels for them?

Yup...but I can't give you any specifics on exactly which ones are with this exception...I can say with assurance that all the 45-70 barrels are all made by NEF..as what has been relayed to me by Marlin/NEF staff.....and that 500 is the minimum...

Mac

Offline oneshotonekill

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2006, 07:16:06 AM »
A convertible or selectible firing pin to allow rimfire and centerfire barrels to be used on the same frame.

A few calibers I'd like to see:

7x57
460 S&W
338-06
338 Federal
45-90

More barrel lengths available say 20, 22, 24 ,26 and maybe even 28" to compete with the TC pro hunters for the velocity junkies.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2006, 07:52:31 AM »
Accessory barrels should be with sights or rail
to customer spec.
also 260 remington would be "handi"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2006, 07:56:42 AM »
Accessory barrels should be with sights or rail
to customer spec.
also 260 remington would be "handi"

Sights or scope rail are already an option, you just need to order the barrel the way you want it, sights are an extra $50 or so if the barrel you order isn't listed that way. All rifle barrels are drilled and tapped for a scope base.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2006, 08:27:51 AM »
Thank you so much I have been wanting a standard weight 223
with sights since I found out about handis