Author Topic: Judging trail cam deer  (Read 571 times)

Offline pills

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
Judging trail cam deer
« on: November 16, 2006, 11:58:34 AM »
I am not going to buy that software that tells you about a bucks rack so I will ask your opinion: Shoot or let em walk?

...You do not open your mouth without all the facts period...

Matt

Remember this, my dear brothers and sisters: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and should not get angry easily. James 1:19

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Judging trail cam deer
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 12:06:22 PM »
Looks like a nice typical 3 to 4 year-old northern buck. If it's a trophy in your mind, then take it.  It could be a really good buck for your location; I can't really tell because I don't know your region. It wouldn't be considered a world-class trophy, though, or anything close to that.
Safety first

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 12:11:03 PM »
Let him walk.  Weak mass, probably a 3 1/2 year old.  Can't shoot big bucks if you kill them before they reach their potential, it's as simple as that.

Offline pills

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 12:12:00 PM »
Northeast Oklahoma

Matt

Remember this, my dear brothers and sisters: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and should not get angry easily. James 1:19

Offline Questor

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 12:39:05 PM »
I'd expect the Green Country to have bucks with larger antlers.
Safety first

Offline pills

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 02:27:11 PM »
We have good deer no doubt. I am not used to trying to judge them based off of a picture like this.

Matt

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 04:53:51 PM »
That's a 2.5 year old buck with nice development for his age. Give him at least two more seasons and he'll be one to brag about.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 05:04:06 PM »
Like GB said.... let him walk.  He's young and looks like he's in pretty good shape.  He's also fairly symetrical and probably will be the same, but with more mass, next year barring any injury/illness/bullet holes.

If you stock that feeder with some protein pellets starting January, his rack will extend past his ears next year.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 04:52:12 AM »
I'm not sure what part of the country you live or hunt and couldn't say if it was a good rack for that area or not. Some areas don't have big deer and some do. Just looking at it on the prespective of it being where I live, it looks like the deer needs another season to develop into a larger deer. Then again if you want to take a deer and that was the only one that happened your way, then it is a legal deer.

The question to ask is; will someone else take the deer before it makes it to next year or does the area have a small amount of hunting pressure so that it could develop more?
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson