Author Topic: ROA questions  (Read 722 times)

Offline Smokepole cowboy

• Trade Count: (0)
ROA questions
« on: November 16, 2006, 01:13:45 PM »
I am going to pick up a Ruger Old Army this weekend and I have some questions.
The manual says to use Corn Meal as filler to seat the ball 1/16" below the chamber mouth.
How many of you do this?
What else do you use for filler?
Do you use the #10 or #11 caps?  Difference?
Do use a capper and de-capper?  What kind?
How many shots can you take before you have to worry about lead build up?
Does anyone have any experience using Pinnacle 3f?

Offline Uncle Howie

Re: ROA questions
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 02:11:34 PM »
I have an Old Army, and would be glad to share my meager experiences.

-I have never used filler. I shoot 30-35 grains of powder, with a round ball. There was a thread on the use of fillers here just a month or two ago...
-I used #11 Remington brand caps. Long story short- I got some (unknown brand/size) caps from the previous owner, and they pretty much needed 2+ hammerstrikes to fire. I switched to Remington #11s, and have a virtually 100% fire rate now.
-I use a "snail style" capper. Works well for me. The caps are usually split and just fall off after firing. Sometimes you have to pick one or two off with a fingernail. A couple of times I've had spent caps hang up and bind up the revolver, but like I said- only a couple of times.
-I grease over the chamber mouths. I can shoot dozens of rounds without binding up. I usually wipe things down as they're getting messy, and haven't had buildup problems. I think most buildup problems would be more related to powder fouling(?).
-I've used Pyrodex "P" exclusively, only because it's widely available in my area.

Happy shooting. To lift a quote from a thread I saw here or elsewhere recently, "If you aren't making a mess, you're not doing it right!"

Offline R.M.

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 07:16:03 PM »
I use either corn meal or Cream of Wheat as a filler. Not only does it take up space in the chamber, I feel that it scrubs the fouling out of the barrel. It could be just my imagination, but so what.
My whimpy target load is 22gr powder, a card wad, a 9 mm case full of filler, a lubed felt wad, then ball. Sounds like a lot of bother, but it makes me happy.  ;D

R.M.
The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 02:45:46 PM »
I load mine with 35g of 3F, a felt wad, a .457 diameter ball and a bit of grease over the top.  No filler.

#10 Remington Caps

I pull the empty cylinder out every now and then, wipe the gun down and start shooting until I get tired.

...Chris ;)
"An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike!" Spiro Agnew