Author Topic: Bullets Not filling out the mold  (Read 835 times)

Offline rks1949

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Bullets Not filling out the mold
« on: November 18, 2006, 12:16:48 PM »
I'm new to this forum,and have a little casting experence,but not much. I'm using a 50/50 mix of wheel weights,and pure lead. These bullets are for shooting in a muzzeloader,with a sabot. I can't seem to get the mold to fill out,the bullets come out undersized. I need them to fill out the bullet so it can be sized to .430. The mold made perfect bullets with a Lyman #2 mixture,but now it won'twith this mixture. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Ron
UNCOMPENSATED ENDORSER

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Bullets Not filling out the mold
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 05:43:35 PM »
You might try a little hotter melt.  If I remember correctly, ther more pure the lead the higher the melting temp.
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline stuffit

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 07:38:47 PM »
Add a little tin.  Additional heat and a bit of tin will resolve most "fill out" difficulties.
s.
Everybody changes their minds sometimes but a fool and a mule.

Deceased

Offline Castaway

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 06:44:36 AM »
I noticed you're from Illonois, by chance were you casting outside in cold weather?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 07:15:32 AM »
I've only casted pure lead, but it sounds more like the mould is too cold to me.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline rks1949

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 07:46:57 AM »
I'm casting in the garage,the mold was run through 15 cycles to warm it up. Then I cast around 100 bullets(two cavity mold). I think I need to add alittle tin to the mix,as mentioned above. This mold makes beautiful bullets with the Lyman recipe #2,but I can't seem to get it right with the soft lead. I'll try all the above things and see what happens. Thanks Guy's! :)
UNCOMPENSATED ENDORSER

Offline Woodtroll

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 07:52:23 AM »
Hi, Ron.

Don't forget that the more pure lead in your alloy, the more the bullet shrinks as it cools, and the smaller the resulting bullet will be (in diameter, although it will actually weigh more). It is not unusual for the bigger bullets to vary a thousandth or two in diameter across the range from pure lead to Linotype. It may be that you need to move towards a more tin/ antimony rich alloy to maintain the size you want; i.e., cut down on the pure lead you're adding.

Hope this helps. Good luck, Regan

Offline stuffit

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 09:55:35 AM »
Get yourself a 9.95 hot plate at Wally World to preheat your mould blocks.   And you can sit the blocks on it if you want to inspect a few bullets or pause for a break.  Much easier and less awkward  than the  "dip in the melted alloy" or "sit on the edge of the pot"  methods. 
s.
Everybody changes their minds sometimes but a fool and a mule.

Deceased