Author Topic: Got a question  (Read 410 times)

Offline snuffer#1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Got a question
« on: November 18, 2006, 05:39:12 PM »
I wondering is there such a thing as impact energy? The reason I'm asking is when I get a shot at close range, the deer maybe go 10 to 15 ft. after I hammer them. ;D Is the impact of the shot greater at close range or is there no difference? ??? Well, anyway, my trackerII dropped it's first this morning. I was using the cheap  ::) win. bri sabot slugs. The exit hole was like a highway. It definitely does the job! I was impressed! ;)
                                                                                               snuffer
Anything worth learning can't be taught in a classroom.

Offline Xplorer

Re: Got a question
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 08:16:18 AM »
Yes, it is a force (or kinetic energy) measurment usually in Ft-lbs (in the english system).  The physics equation is F-ma (force = mass times accelleration).   It's easier to think of it as the weight of the  projectile and how fast it is moving.  lighter slugs will need to travel faster in order to deliver the same energy as a slower, heavier slug.  Of course, the farther out the slug has to travel, the slower it will fly, thus a decrease in force or energy.  Many sabot manufacturers will publish this info on the box or their web site, along with the velocity at various distances.  For example, Hornady SST's in 20ga has a velocity of 1628 FPS and a force of 1471 Ft-lbs at 50 yards ... Remmington copper solids at the same range is 1360 FPS and 1187 Ft-lbs.  It is sometimes suggested that 900 Ft-lbs is the minimum energy or force required for deer.  Hope this helps.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania. 1759

Offline snuffer#1

• Avid Poster
Re: Got a question
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 12:35:37 PM »
Thanks a lot. I let the deer come in as close as possible, also to make sure of the shot is on target. ;D
                                                                           snuffer
Anything worth learning can't be taught in a classroom.